Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Thank you Airstream community for all of your input. And Personal experiences with HH. We were wondering if we should sign up for harvest host. Safe travels.
The Silver Buffalo #22624 see you down the road Neighbors.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
We’ve been members for about 4 years now and it has been great. No issues at all, except occasionally being skunked when a place is overbooked. By using Harvest Hosts the property owner will be able to see feedback left from other sites and can either approve and maybe ask a few questions if they saw something questionable. If I owned a farm or vineyard I’d want to make sure those who have access to the property are reliable. I imagine during the pandemic it has been helpful closing the loop on contact tracing as well.

You can also offset the cost by getting a member to refer you. I think it’s 15% off...pm me if your interested.

The hosts get free marketing through the site and app and it appears to be moving towards a review based platform with some social media elements.

We use it regularly on long trips we will tack on a HH stay on our way to and from a destination and living in the wine region of Niagara we often use HH for a weekend get away, which has been great to a change things up. It’s saved us a few times when we couldn’t find a traditional site.

Give it a shot and if it’s not your jam then it’s only a small investment you’ve lost.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
We are members also. We have not used it yet but likely will this year on an extended trip or possible just in state. Who knows but for about $80.00, it is worth it to me to have it available just in case. The big draw for me is I love craft brews and distilleries! I also like to tour their equipment if they have time to show me around or just let me look around. Like a museum or engineering outing that smells good :-)
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Last summer I traveled with a friend (separate Airstreams) who was a Harvest Host (HH) member. I was not. We stayed at one HH during our trip. I understood that his yearly membership got him a free night at the HH, no hook-ups. I paid $20 as a non-member and got a site with electrical only. I had called ahead to make sure there would be a spot for me. This particular HH was a winery, beer joint and pizzeria.
P.S. I belonged to HH for one year when they first started and was never able to find an HH where and when I needed one. They always seemed to be a long ways off any beaten path I was following, so I wrote them off. My recent experience as a non-member has not convinced me to join them again.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
When I’ve used Harvest Hosts, they require a reservation, they require you to sign in, to give your membership number, etc.

If you’d like to use Harvest Hosts, then buy the membership. If not, then don’t buy it. It’s really not that expensive and it’s generally a cool experience.
Ditto. It’s cheap for the data base. If you’re not going to use it “much”, it’s probably not your cup of tea. We had wonderful interactions with the HH, and fellow RVers on a recent stay at Bedners Family Farm in FL recently, and have a winery, a golf course, and a distillery on an upcoming trip thru GA and the Carolinas..
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Harvest host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhoop View Post
You are paying for the directory of places. I suppose you could call up random locations to see if they would welcome you. Some may, some may not.
I second Roadhoop's opinion that you can call businesses to see if they would let you stay, I'm sure certain types of businesses, for example, wineries would welcome you without a HH membership.

We use HH as we are traveling to add some variety to our overnights. So as we're driving, one of us is calling to see about availability for that night or the next night It has been great alpaca farms, wineries, country clubs, etc. have added to the enjoyment of our trips.

My philosophy is to pay for services I find beneficial even when I don't take advantage of full service. For me, avoiding paying for a service that makes my life better, is counter productive.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We use HH a lot while traveling out or back from the area we will be camping in. They are nicer / quieter / more interesting than a Walmart parking lot or a Cracker Barrel. They are way easier to get into than a conventional camping site. The "cost" is that they generally are interesting places to visit. A bit of research may be in order to check that out ( I don't golf so cross golf clubs off ..).

Probably the most unique host was one who had us stay out at their farm. A deer had been killed on the road earlier and was getting "ripe". We had a good time looking at the vintage Airstream they were tinkering with ( restoring is a bit of a strong word in this case ....).

We became life members a while ago. I've never regretted doing that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Keep in mind the liability involved when you ask some random business to stay over night on their property.. almost certainly the answer will be a firm no unless the person you are talking to is the owner, not a manager, or employee, but the owner. Managers and employees will never allow you to do this knowing there is liability. Owners on the other hand, well, some may be naive and say sure park and stay, but most would say no. In my opinion the small amount of money these programs cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the pain in the a** of calling around asking permission to stay at some place free that isn't part of a program. If you cant' afford $60 bucks why are you travelling at all? Maybe you should stay home and save your $$ or work a second job
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
There are bound to be business owners who will just let you stay if you've visited, whether you or they are part of a club or not. But, there are also quite a few who only want to take those folks who reserve through the club. We far prefer the security of calling in advance and letting the business owner know when we will be there so we are assured of a spot. Both the business and the visitor are a more apt to play nicely as well as they have read the rules.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #30
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
It sounds like there may be a fair amount of variability in how scenic or otherwise pleasant various HH locations are. Does HH have any sort of member reviews or comments on their site, to get an idea what a location may be like ahead of time?
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
It sounds like there may be a fair amount of variability in how scenic or otherwise pleasant various HH locations are. Does HH have any sort of member reviews or comments on their site, to get an idea what a location may be like ahead of time?
There IS a feedback section on Harvest Hosts for members to describe their stays.

I've stayed at a few wineries, a couple of museums, a couple of farms, and a dairy farm/creamery. Some locations are more lovely than others... boondocking at the creamery was really beautiful, fairly quiet (except for a ROCKING thunderstorm in the early evening) and the owners were really great, they came by the next morning (when they weren't even scheduled to be open, but the power was still out anyway) to check on me and the dog.

One of the museum stays was just in a corner of the parking lot, but it was in a quiet part of a small town and had 30A power, at a museum I've wanted to visit for 20 years.

I felt like it was a good use of my membership fee. I let it lapse last year, I'll likely renew it when I get rolling again.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:27 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottleib View Post
Keep in mind the liability involved when you ask some random business to stay over night on their property.. almost certainly the answer will be a firm no unless the person you are talking to is the owner, not a manager, or employee, but the owner. Managers and employees will never allow you to do this knowing there is liability. Owners on the other hand, well, some may be naive and say sure park and stay, but most would say no. In my opinion the small amount of money these programs cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the pain in the a** of calling around asking permission to stay at some place free that isn't part of a program. If you cant' afford $60 bucks why are you travelling at all? Maybe you should stay home and save your $$ or work a second job
It's not a matter of money! If I am patronizing a place, I'll ask at that time to park overnight. I don't call vineyards or other businesses ahead of time, unless I need more information, just to say I am coming. However, when I do call for more information, I don't see where paying a middle man before calling provides any real advantage to me!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
It's not a matter of money! If I am patronizing a place, I'll ask at that time to park overnight. I don't call vineyards or other businesses ahead of time, unless I need more information, just to say I am coming. However, when I do call for more information, I don't see where paying a middle man before calling provides any real advantage to me!
I agree with you but I like the convenience of information HH offers. I thinks it's much easier than going into a strange town and going through the business section and then Google Maps or Earth to look at their layout to see if getting in and out is available.
I would think most businesses with something to sell could care less if you're a member or not.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
There IS a feedback section on Harvest Hosts for members to describe their stays.

I've stayed at a few wineries, a couple of museums, a couple of farms, and a dairy farm/creamery. Some locations are more lovely than others... boondocking at the creamery was really beautiful, fairly quiet (except for a ROCKING thunderstorm in the early evening) and the owners were really great, they came by the next morning (when they weren't even scheduled to be open, but the power was still out anyway) to check on me and the dog.

One of the museum stays was just in a corner of the parking lot, but it was in a quiet part of a small town and had 30A power, at a museum I've wanted to visit for 20 years.

I felt like it was a good use of my membership fee. I let it lapse last year, I'll likely renew it when I get rolling again.
Hi

From what I've seen, anyplace that has power hookups, they charge by the night if you are not an HH member. That includes those in north west Indiana

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
As I said before, you're paying for the directory of known places that allow overnight stays. If that isn't of use, then it isn't money well spent. I have found it quite helpful and have been a 3+ year member.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
RV’ing is more than just the destination; the trip can be just as fun. Plus, you have great stories when you overnight at unique and interesting destinations
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
We love Harvest Hosts.

We have stayed at over 95 Harvest Host locations where we receive one night of complimentary camping. Here is our review: https://livinginbeauty.net/2017/08/02/harvest-hosts/
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
Fee

Folks we’re talking about $70 for a year. Look What we drive. I get frustrated people trying to cheat a Great program
Elkhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I agree
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #40
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
I see there are yearly fee based clubs like Harvest Host's, Boondockers, etc., that list various businesses and locations where people with fully contained RV's can camp for free, where space is available.

I am wondering how successful RV’rs are just asking permission to camp overnight or two, from those same businesses, while visiting their business?

Since the clubs recommend their members purchase something from the business, which is likely to happen any way, I am trying to learn why paying eighty or more dollars a year is beneficial... other than receiving a partial list of area businesses.
How do you know which business to ask without a HH app. I am a HH subscriber. I have used it about 10 times. Only one of those times did the business ask to see my membership card (they don't send you a real card). I am dropping HH, because if you don't have internet access to Google maps you can't pull up the Host. If they want me back the list of Hosts will reside on my device not on Google.

Another thing I find "interesting" is you can pay more for a bottle of crappy wine than for a night in a campsite. And, they are many times off the route by too many miles. It sounds better than it really is.
FE