Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
"Different Strokes for Different Folks?"

Pretty simple IMO.

Analysis Paralysis.

Over and Out.
Have pun, will travail . . .
Have a little pun in life . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
We’ve been members from almost the beginning. The cost is obviously made up with a few visits. But remember the servers, the people coding the app need support too. These apps don’t appear and maintain themselves magically. The only app that is totally free, and I’ve tried to donate to, but won’t accept anything, is RV Parky.

Harvest host is a personal decision that is really easy to make when you meet all the people we have. Just like RV people, harvest host people are great.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
Folks we’re talking about $70 for a year. Look What we drive. I get frustrated people trying to cheat a Great program
Again, it is not a matter of trying to cheat the system! If I pick up an interesting brochure at a Service Area or other business and decide to travel there to patronize their business, I will telephone them and ask if I can park my Airstream overnight on site or nearby!

I don't need a list of, for example, all the California businesses when I am not likely to travel to any of those destinations. And if I ever am heading to California and am looking for a winery tour, etc., an internet search of California Wineries produces an extensive list!

I am wondering how membership in such 'clubs' benefit members other than providing lists of businesses readily found online!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:17 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
...I am wondering how membership in such 'clubs' benefit members other than providing lists of businesses readily found online!
I think of it as a convenience fee. When we're traveling and decide we want to stop someone (usually in the middle of nowhere or an area we are not familiar with) it's very convenient to be able to pull up a listing of locations which already have agreed to host RVs for a night.

The places which are on the list already are familiar with the system and I need to explain nothing. I am not asking for anything 'special' or which they're not familiar with, and usually it's not necessary to speak to a manager or owner as the clerk answering the phone knows the routine.

The calls are much quicker and usually just confirming a space is available, and then putting our name on the space.

Could I do the same with Google and a bunch of cold calls? Probably, but then I'd be doing so without the write-up and without the reviews.

Everyone will do as they see fit. Me? I like the convenience.
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
I've been a member of HH for a few years and it is worth every $. The experiences of the various host's locations and opportunities whether it be a farm, winery, museum, etc has afforded me the assurance of a safe place to stay the night plus meeting and seeing interesting people, places and animals. The "mandatory" suggestion of buying something has ranged from an admission ($5 to the museum) to an entire evening of food, drink and music for what I'd pay anyhow at the event. I love HH. It's a great break from a routine of a few days in a campground then off to search for another. Especially if nothing is available for the days I want. And once you're in you are grandfathered in at that rate. I've never had an increase in membership fees.

WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Suncoast Unit #129, Region 3
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sayville , New York
The "middle man" you are referring to has created a database with hosts willing to accommodate you if they are able, for free. Unlike the scenario you created, I don't wish to be trying to find a sympathetic business each day, calling random numbers and explaining repeatedly what I am trying to do. A HH host already knows the drill. Plus, I am getting ratings about the location, and the host is getting ratings about me. If you intend to do a lot of last minute boon docking on your journey, HH is a no brainer for the fee. If the fee is too much for the type of camping you're doing, perhaps change the way you camp?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Middle River , Maryland
We joined as soon as we heard about it....and before our annual renewal, we bought the Lifetime Membership. It’s that convenient, easy and so much better than any overnight stop at a campground. Of course, if it’s pouring rain or your black/grays are full, it’s probably not the night to stop at a Harvest Host.
We have seen live music, parked in beautiful locations, had evenings in breweries we’d never have stopped if we had to drive away......
I don’t think they offer Lifetime any more and have not stopped at a golfing location, yet. We have not asked for or been offered water/electric. We have enjoyed each stop immensely and will continue to do so. I have linked up to 5 nights in a row before we either got to our destination or w/hookups. We always inquire prior and make sure our dogs are allowed.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
I am not trying to scam the system, I am trying to cut out paying for a middle man, especially since I am likely to rarely use such a service!

I generally have one or more destinations in mind when I go, head to them and upon arrival, request permission to park overnight when desired. If permission is not granted, it's easy to move a bit further down the road and closer to the next spot on the agenda!

I was primarily wondering if membership gave preferential treatment to those requesting accommodations or if it was a requirement by the business, in order to camp on their property!

No you are trying to beat/scam the system..your talking about less than $100 year.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Quote:
I see there are yearly fee based clubs like Harvest Host's, Boondockers, etc., that list various businesses and locations where people with fully contained RV's can camp for free, where space is available.

I am wondering how successful RV’rs are just asking permission to camp overnight or two, from those same businesses, while visiting their business?

Since the clubs recommend their members purchase something from the business, which is likely to happen any way, I am trying to learn why paying eighty or more dollars a year is beneficial... other than receiving a partial list of area businesses.
Any chance that you play golf? About a month ago, HH offered a 20% off, and I took the bait. One year of the golf membership for maybe us$75, and that fee will never increase. You arrive early afternoon, get in 18 holes. Most golf courses have a restaurant (food quality can be unpredictable), and maybe even showers in the locker rooms, if you are lucky. The bonus is that the next morning, you could be the first player off the tee and finish your second round. For me, that's a huge win. Just saying...
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
LIABILITY FOR THE HOST

(You spend $300,000 for a moho, then do this kind of damage to someone else's property... because you are a total boor... or you don't know/don't care/don't realize you might get caught!)

3 years ago I talked to an owner of a winery who is still listed as a member of Harvest Hosts. Before joining, he had allowed a moho owner to stay at his winery - and when they left, they dumped their black and gray tanks in a ditch beside the road leading out. Almost 200 gallons of waste! This in a state where the health inspections are done aggressively, and the liquor control board also regulates wineries, so the owner of the winery HAD to remediate this violation properly. This owner was required to pay more than $3000 to have a hazmat company completely redo about 20 feet of ditching after a septic service retrieved all the loose floating bits and pieces.

He did eventually get lucky. He had taken pictures of the big Tiffin moho, and incidentally caught the license plates which allowed him to eventually trace the owner to his home state and address. A couple of threatening letters from his attorney citing the EPA regulations and a civil suit resulted in getting a check from the offender. It seems he could have lost his driver's license too.

Shortly after that he joined Harvest Host.... apparently because HE could evaluate his experience with the owner of that Tiffin.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Thumbs Up for Harvest Hosts

We stayed at two HH locations on our way west and highly recommend the experience. One site did offer water and electric for a nominal fee, but we chose to park in the back of the brewery for easy access to grass for our dog. Both host locations were super friendly. In the short time we have belonged to HH they have made improvements to their site/app and added more hosts. They have recently started doing online reservations for some hosts. We did one online and the other was via text. Super easy. The main rule is check times you need to arrive by and ask about their "rules" like generator use, etc. and if you can't make it you should call and tell them. Simple courtesy. We wanted so badly to make the 3rd stop but weather made us detour south so we couldn't make it. We will try on our return in a month.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Again it's not that much money for the convenience of the App and all the information that comes with it.
Just like Air Forums. It provides tons of great information. You should all at least consider being a *Supporting Member* just give it a click.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote