Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 28' International
Fort Collins , CO
Generator or Solar

I am wanting to know what size of generator I would need for my 1980 28 foot Airstream to run all electronic Items and the AC?

If I used a portable solar panel set up would that help me keep my batteries charged so I do not need to use a generator?
brennerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, somewhere in the 4,000 watts size should run everything. [almost] For me a Yamaha 2400 will run my air conditioner and a few other items at the same time. Or Micro-wave and a few other items at the same time. In most cases Solar is quite expensive and won't run your air conditioner at all. Solar can run your air conditioner with an extremely expensive system.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, somewhere in the 4,000 watts size should run everything. [almost] For me a Yamaha 2400 will run my air conditioner and a few other items at the same time. Or Micro-wave and a few other items at the same time. In most cases Solar is quite expensive and won't run your air conditioner at all. Solar can run your air conditioner with an extremely expensive system.
We have 700 watts of solar on the roof and 600 AH of lithium and a 3000W inverter. With that, we can run one AC for 3 hours or so. But to me a waste of battery to do so unless you just want to cool down a hot coach. If you want to run your AC for any real cooling you need a generator. We have a 2300W Honda and Easystarts on both ACs and with that we can run either AC just fine, but only one at a time. Also, solar only works with good sunshine so a generator is good to charge depleted batteries if you haven't had sun.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
The most sensible approach, IMO, is to go with a smallish generator, say 1,500 to 2,000, and forgo the air conditioning. If you need full time air conditioning find a cheap spot with 110v power. If you don't need full time AC then just deal with it for the short time it's hot. I have two generators and solar but I'll be darned if I'll carry enough generator and run it enough to provide full time AC. AAMOF, I won't run the generator for AC anytime. In the few occaisions I've required AC, Yuma in the spring, Savannah in June, I've paid for a spot and connected to the grid. It's not my proffered style of travel but sometimes you have to do unpleasant things.

Most sensible approach, small gen, no AC. I go with solar as screwing with the gen is a pain to me but still I suffer the consequences of nature at times by freezing my arse off at night in the desert. It's a price I'm willing to pay.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1980 28' International
Fort Collins , CO
As far as brands of Generators which ones should I look at. I know Honda is the best and maybe the quietest. Links to generators would help. Thank you all for your help.

Keith
brennerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennerk1 View Post
As far as brands of Generators which ones should I look at. I know Honda is the best and maybe the quietest. Links to generators would help. Thank you all for your help.

Keith

Seriously consider a dual fuel generator. You can hook up to propane and not have to carry gas. I’ve been happy with my Duromax brand, there are several brands that come with the propane option from the factory. You really need to determine exactly what you want to run, estimate the watts required, and choose a gen from there. Good luck with the research
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
I know Honda is the bes
I'd say Honda is the best bet. I had a Honda 2K and should have kept it. I now have a Yamaha 2400 but it is a heavy beast at 75#. I recently picked up a Champion because I wanted something smaller and lighter. It was so cheap, I think $400 shipped on sale, I couldn't resist. If I wanted something a tier below the Honda it would no doubt be a Champion.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?c...&CQ_zstype=REG
Old 06-07-2020, 04:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:

Keith
We bought our generator from Genconnex, converted to run propane. That way we don't have to lug around gasoline. But we use up our propane if we run it. That's the trade-off. Propane is pretty easy to get on the road so I don't worry about it. Much cleaner and less hassle over all with this generator.

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/hond....htm#xl_RV:322
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Since you'll probably camp at altitude, living in CO, don't forget to adjust generator size accordingly:

"Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained above sea level."

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #10

2020 23' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Found a setup that works great, fuel efficient, reasonably lightweight, and as quiet as the Hondas, but much cheaper. Can run the A/C if you parallel two, can run pretty much everything else with one.

We have two of these: Westinghouse iGen2200 Portable Inverter Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUP6L1U..._7fe6EbXD67ABW

And this to parallel them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW9Z0WA..._3ge6Eb3QM21MF
Txrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote