Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2021, 09:49 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
52 dB at 25%. Among the more quiet only very slightly louder than the Honda 3000 which costs about 5 times the price....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #82
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It snowed in Tucson a few days ago. Friends are camping there for part of the winter and sent photos. The snow melted fast.

Some generators are relatively quiet (Honda, Yamaha) and others are not. We bought a Honda because of reliability and quiet. Hopefully other brands are quieter than they used to be. I would not want to be camped next to any generator including mine if I had an option. The few times I needed a generator I only ran it in mid-day when most people were gone. The generator noise is another reason people go solar and lithium.

When we sold our Airstream we got a very good price. Increasing prices for new ones certainly affect people, but there's no good way to tell if solar and other such improvements add to price. They do make it easier to sell I think. Data on sale of houses with solar is better. It appears a house with solar sells for more, though maybe not equal to capital expense. If solar and/or lithium means you can boondock, the camping fees are usually less, so that is a benefit. An RV as an investment is a poor choice and there are valid arguments that the same may be true of houses in normal markets (the present is hardly normal).
We have the Honda also, plus some 200 amp portable panels. So far this trip (2 weeks out) we haven’t needed the Honda.
We did get snow and ice in Tucson. Along with some hard hitting sleet. In New Mexico now. No precipitation in the FC, but we seem to attract it.

Edit, we were in Kartchner Canyon SP two nights ago. A giant class A pulled in near us. Immediately fired up his little diesel generator. Not nearly as quiet as a Honda. Ran it all afternoon and into the night. I asked him the next day, what was up. He said the negative pole was reversed on the CG outlet. I talked to the host, he said the outlet is fine, the class A guy had a defective surge protector. He didn’t want all the food in his freezer to thaw. Luckily he only tortured us for one night..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #83
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
52 dB at 25%. Among the more quiet only very slightly louder than the Honda 3000 which costs about 5 times the price....
Comparing a specific number (52 db.) with "slightly louder" is not science. I have a Honda 1,000 it may even be "less slightly louder". Decibels are logarithmic and a few decibels can make a big difference.

My problem with any generator is most places RV's are camped are fairly quiet and generator noise seems much louder than if it were in town. They may be noisier to a neighbor than you realize because the sound may reflect off your RV and be sent next door. I think of generators as a necessity rarely to be used. If used to watch TV or use a microwave, I think that is quite comfortable, but not a necessity (I have considered starting it to make toast, but decided there were alternatives). I know some need them for CPAP and that is a necessity, though I think there's a battery operated CPAP machine now.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:21 AM   #84
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Yuuup.
The solar thingy provides very low actual electrical power (available Amps), unless it's a large expensive system, in a place with a lot of sun, like Florida/ etc.
Try solar now in PNW or northern tier States.Be lucky to charge a cell phone.
Many Airstream owners have $$$ to burn.In that case, buy 10 -1K batteries, and 10 solar panels.Have fun.I would fire up a $400 -30Amp gasoline generator ( real power) and just plug the rig in.
Run the microwave/hot water heater /AC at same time.Try that with solar lol
Problems solved.

To me....one of the big advantages of solar vs generator is
Silence...who wants to go out into a beautiful natural setting and then listen to a generator run all night??
rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:18 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Comparing a specific number (52 db.) with "slightly louder" is not science. I have a Honda 1,000 it may even be "less slightly louder". Decibels are logarithmic and a few decibels can make a big difference.
I chose the same language you did when you said "relatively quiet" and "louder". I was attempting to reach you where you were at. Predator 52 dB, Honda 50 dB. Here is a chart of typical sounds one hears in daily life.

https://soundproofingguide.com/decib...parison-chart/

Quote:
My problem with any generator is most places RV's are camped are fairly quiet and generator noise seems much louder than if it were in town. They may be noisier to a neighbor than you realize because the sound may reflect off your RV and be sent next door. I think of generators as a necessity rarely to be used. If used to watch TV or use a microwave, I think that is quite comfortable, but not a necessity (I have considered starting it to make toast, but decided there were alternatives). I know some need them for CPAP and that is a necessity, though I think there's a battery operated CPAP machine now.
Do you think other campers should share your beliefs and practices or should they be able, within the wishes of the land owner, to do what best works for them?
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I chose the same language you did when you said "relatively quiet" and "louder". I was attempting to reach you where you were at. Predator 52 dB, Honda 50 dB. Here is a chart of typical sounds one hears in daily life.

Do you think other campers should share your beliefs and practices or should they be able, within the wishes of the land owner, to do what best works for them?
Some folks still use the industrial "less expensive" generators, I see from time to time. Unless all the parks adopt the <60db policy, I am not sure anything will be done. I have found some generators operate on different frequency, some more noticeable than others...Yamaha seems to be a little quieter than Honda, to me, as an example. For sure, pointing the exhaust in a direction not reflected off solid objects can make a big difference. I have moved my generator around to improve the noise reflection at my campsite. I also have asked other "neighbor" campers if my generator was bothering them...so far, only one concerned has been me....of course, except for the Industrial generator I mentioned earlier...We were in Swift Currant in Glacier and 2 groups of campers next to each other, from Alabama (no offense intended), were using...we were 7 campsites away, and it was still very loud to us!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgnaz View Post
To me....one of the big advantages of solar vs generator is
Silence...who wants to go out into a beautiful natural setting and then listen to a generator run all night??

Exactly, that’s why you spend the $$ for solar/lithium etc.

Spent last night listening to our neighbors generator in the middle of the desert. Just took something away. And he wasn’t here when we pulled in.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:

It is true that decibels are logarithmic. A 3 dB increase is a doubling of sound power. However the human ear responds in a logarithmic manner, which I believe is why that logarithmic (Bels or decibels) scale was adopted. Although the dB scale has a lot of other practical uses as well. A 3 dB difference in sound power is probably noticeable but it won’t sound “twice as loud” to you.

BTW if you have a battery operated CPAP, that needs to be recharged as well. Solar or Generator? Choose between their strengths and weaknesses.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #89
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

The chart of typical sounds does not differentiate between sounds that are "normal" like people talking and sounds that feel intrusive like machinery—I think we can agree generators are machines. The dB scale does not tell us everything and subjectivity also comes into play because people hear things differently. It appears the 2 db. difference between Honda and a "Predator" (interesting name—does it eat other generators?) is quite a lot (see Post just above). The chart shows 50 and 52 dB. as equal to normal sounds like talking and appears quite low as generators sound louder to me, even with hearing loss. Vacuum cleaners are rated 75 dB. and that seems close to a generator noise level.

I know other campers share my beliefs. Just read the posts and that is more than obvious. The land owner, presumably a campground owner, can allow or prohibit lots of things within reason. If a campground allows generators for long hours, that campground will probably have fewer customers. I always read campground reviews when picking places to stay and if it said "generators are often used here", an admittedly unusual statement since most commercial campgrounds prohibit generator use, how many people would want to go there? Of course, generators are more often used where there is no power provided. These are usually more isolated places where many people go for peace and quiet.

If someone wants to use their generator without regard for others, it some places that is allowed. There are always people who do not care, perhaps defensively spouting about their "rights" and will drive others away.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Exactly, that’s why you spend the $$ for solar/lithium etc.

Spent last night listening to our neighbors generator in the middle of the desert. Just took something away. And he wasn’t here when we pulled in.
There are "times" where solar is not able to provide charging (tree cover or bad weather for example)...when cold and a cloudy sky, while using your furnace, you can deplete your batteries pretty quickly...I know first hand from experience in Tetons few years back with snowstorm in May...without a generator, I would have had to find a campground with power...just saying, it's better to have a generator and not use it, then it is not to have one and need it!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
There are "times" where solar is not able to provide charging (tree cover or bad weather for example)...when cold and a cloudy sky, while using your furnace, you can deplete your batteries pretty quickly...I know first hand from experience in Tetons few years back with snowstorm in May...without a generator, I would have had to find a campground with power...just saying, it's better to have a generator and not use it, then it is not to have one and need it!
I completely agree with that. I cannot forget one trip to Shenandoah here in the East. I had a beautiful site overlooking the App Trail, but fully shaded. I couldn't even get my portable panel into the sun. So, the need for a generator depends on how many days one stays in the park. It was furnace weather and I made it 3 days before I had to run my generator...but I did have to run my generator during the allowed hours.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #92
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Similar story—camped at Yosemite in November—narrow canyon, lots of trees, short days. I had people in a tent next to me. I ran the generator a bare minimum.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Salado , Texas
I've been traveling a bit with our new Airstream. We've boondocked with no hookups, I keep the Predator genset in the bed of the truck with the exhaust pointed to the sidewall. Noise is reflected but mostly upwards out of the truck bed.

And it keeps the Predator genset from hunting other generators at night....
Gtx Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

Oh don’t misunderstand- I have 2 2200watt Yamahas in the bed for just that reason, just wouldn’t not have solar/lithium for the majority of times when it works really well. Generator solution is for when I need more than that can provide like a/c [emoji56]
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
I have the Honda generator, Ive used it twice. Once when i accidently pulled out the emergency brake plug, and the other outside vegas mid july. Outside vegas in july was just unbearably hot and we ran that generator all night. I think i refilled it twice. Buuut no one was around. It was just an overnight stop on the way home.

While people are free to use generators in otherwise lovely campgrounds (not rv parks/resorts) during non quiet hours. I would never tell someone to stop or turn it off. But that doesnt mean your not a total A hole for running your generator to make coffee. (sometimes I'm the a hole) So no judgment this is America your free to be an a hole and the rest of us to think and treat you like one. Sometimes you have no choice.

Reminds me of a buddy that would use a chainsaw to cut a toothpick just because its got an engine, he has one, and thinks its cool.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtx Eng View Post
I've been traveling a bit with our new Airstream. We've boondocked with no hookups, I keep the Predator genset in the bed of the truck with the exhaust pointed to the sidewall. Noise is reflected but mostly upwards out of the truck bed.

And it keeps the Predator genset from hunting other generators at night....
Thank you OP for confirming that you have things under control.

There is nothing like a predatory generator on the loose . . .

Happy Trails.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #97
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m leaning a little towards becoming a anti-generator camper. We have our Honda 2000 with us, but haven’t needed it. 2 BB lithium batteries and a 200 watt portable solar panel have kept us from running the generator.
You know how the worst anti-smoker is the former smoker. Well, I used to run the Honda 2000 to keep the old Interstate Batteries charged. Now I hear a generator in the distance and it gets on my nerves. We were lucky to get in the no generator section of Rio Grande Village in BB NP. I enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FWIW our Yamaha 1000 gen/inverter, running off the AS LP propane port, is about as discreet as any gen/inverter ever seen. We often camp near the ocean, and the sound of the surf eclipses the Yamaha 1k. It is also very small and lightweight . . . and handy for hurricanes, storms, power outages etc. at home.

A nice arrow to have in the quiver . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #99
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A nuclear powered generator should be very quiet and can be used if you are attacked by a predator generator or RV.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I’m leaning a little towards becoming a anti-generator camper. We have our Honda 2000 with us, but haven’t needed it. 2 BB lithium batteries and a 200 watt portable solar panel have kept us from running the generator.
You know how the worst anti-smoker is the former smoker. Well, I used to run the Honda 2000 to keep the old Interstate Batteries charged. Now I hear a generator in the distance and it gets on my nerves. We were lucky to get in the no generator section of Rio Grande Village in BB NP. I enjoyed the peace and quiet.

I hear you. I carry one Honda 2000 since I have the EasyStart and can run my air conditioner in normal hot weather with the one if I have to. My portable solar panels keep the coach batteries topped off and I have replaced all of my Safari lights with LEDs so the drain is minimal. I have no problem with folks who use Honda's or Yamaha's, but the other brands that are noisy get the hair on the back of my neck up. I have camped in a dry camping situation with water available in 5 gallon containers as needed for two weeks with only the solar keeping the lights on. I don't try to heat or use big inverters... a small inverter with a lighter plug is enough to run my small television, if I am so inclined, so there is no real need for me to run the generator unless I get in some really strange weather in the desert southwest.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote