Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
FS roads outside the West Boundary of Glacier NP

I'd like to connect via PM with anyone who has experience driving on FS roads on the West side of the West boundary of Glacier National Park.

Thank you.

Bryan
Portland, OR
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I'd like to connect via PM with anyone who has experience driving on FS roads on the West side of the West boundary of Glacier National Park.

Thank you.

Bryan
Portland, OR
What is your question? We visit 4-5 times each summer...live 3 hours away. If your asking, can you take an AS on a particular FS road, it really depends on the size of the AS and also the condition of the road...the road to Polebridge in West Glacier,as an example, is pretty bumpy in some areas, and even without a trailer, it can beat up your TV. The snows and rains each season present challenges...even wash away some parts. There are some restrictions also on taking in trailers to some camp areas. Best to talk with rangers in the area your interested in each year when your up there. But, let us know your question specifically...we may be able to help out.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It has been a couple of years, but we have driven without the trailer to the bakery at pole bridge. Not a bad ride and did not need the 4 wheel drive.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I've been on the Polebridge Road multiple times over the years (lived in nearby Whitefish for 4 years), including all the way up to the Border. But, I didn't own an RV then. My last drive up to Polebridge was in August 2017.

Now that we're getting closer to purchasing our first RV, which will likely be a GT 27' FBT, I'm beginning my preliminary planning for trips to areas I know and like.

I've seen SOB RVs on the road above Polebridge and in a couple of FS designated camping areas (just open areas in the woods) off of the road above Polebridge. I don't recall seeing any ASs.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
gsp
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I’ve been on a couple FS roads in that area - they tend to vary. Some would be fine for an AS, others not so much. Folks in the area were very helpful.
gsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Rocks on road near PoleBridge cut a tire and we had to stop and change tires. GMC Yukon with no trailer.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I've been on the Polebridge Road multiple times over the years (lived in nearby Whitefish for 4 years), including all the way up to the Border. But, I didn't own an RV then. My last drive up to Polebridge was in August 2017.

Now that we're getting closer to purchasing our first RV, which will likely be a GT 27' FBT, I'm beginning my preliminary planning for trips to areas I know and like.

I've seen SOB RVs on the road above Polebridge and in a couple of FS designated camping areas (just open areas in the woods) off of the road above Polebridge. I don't recall seeing any ASs.
Polebridge bakery is a regular stop for us...huckleberry macaroons and cinnamon buns are a must! Yea, they don't recommend larger TT's up there around Bowman or Kintela lakes; typically see mostly tent campers or popups, although the bears can cause issues with softsided camping...we have been to Bowman few times to kayak, but this past year the road was much worse then year before. They don't recommend taking trailers up there. We have stay in Apgar several times each summer.; we like the East Glacier also, but Many Glacier has gotten so out of control with the crowds, its not fun anymore, plus the road in is real rough. Two Medicine area is sometimes crowded also, but there are some State campgrounds close that are usually not crowded all over. If your coming over from Oregon, highly recommend coming thru to Glacier on hwy12, along the Lochsa River into Lolo...many great camping areas in Idaho, although no cell service.

Have you been to Hungry Horse area, Lost Johnny Point camp grounds? You can reserve ahead and although your boondocking, the sites are nice, the lake is not crowded at all, compared to Glacier area...it's all good!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
gypsydad,

Yes, I've taken most of the available routes from Spokane (lived there for 5 years after leaving Whitefish) and from Portland (lived here for the past 19 years) to Whitefish/Kalispell/Glacier National Park. One of my favorites, if I'm not pressed for time, is via Bonners Ferry in North Idaho.

And yes, I've camped in the Hungary Horse Reservoir area. And am familiar with all the campgrounds within GNP on both the West side and the East Side. Fortunately, there are some good FS alternatives.

The Polebridge Road (and beyond) can be teeth-chattering from the washboarding if you drive it at the end of the cycle before they do some road grading upkeep. But, until now, I never considered the road condition in the context of pulling an RV and particularly a new GT 30' FBT.

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 11-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Folsom , California
The road to Polebridge will have you cleaning dust in your AS for months. But it’s a neat place to visit and have a beverage. Fishing along the river is good also! Good luck.
Donnusa is offline   Reply With Quote