Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Fresh Water: No dead livestock as in 19th Century

I say Western USA as it is most familiar to us. Service Stations are our source of high quality water most often. Then NFS and BLM work stations in the Forests and Plains.

When we depart home on an Off the Grid Boondocking Adventure, we have no plans other than a general area as a destination. We are prepared. No reservations needed.

Our fresh water into our Trailer's Fresh Water Tank, hot water tank and bleed the air from the entire Fresh Water System is Filtered. Our water processing BEGINS as Filtered Water from our City Water. To remove whatever the City did not.

I prefer HARD Water rather than the home's Soft Water System for drinking. Compromises must be made when Trailer Living is concerned. Many compromises, which would need Separate Threads.

When you wash your... Hair... with hard well water from some Ranch Pump Well... Your hair may stand straight up like a crop of wheat in a field! Yaaa Hoooo Wyoming hair styling, for sure. Pull out the hats and all is back to normal.

Some Wyoming NFS and Ranches have water that is better than Coors Beer, but not carbonated.

Calcium is a problem for your trailer plumbing and faucets. City chlorine added has already killed off microbes within the Water Filtering Process and it does not taste that good, either.

Many travelers' bring Bottled Water to drink. Lots of it. We do, as well. Dehydration can be a big issue when driving long distances. Who wants to be making 'pit stops' at Stations or where there is an immediate need... to stop... now or else.

I get the 44 ounce Soda and Ice, get refills with the same cup for weeks and stay hydrated. Nancy says I am a Camel. I have to agree. Evolution as a Neanderthal has its benefits. She is a Human Bean needing potty stops.

We know all of the better Potty Stops. Maverick Stations are the cleanest. I like to wash my Face... never makes me look any better, but a fresher smile.

Be aware that the thin plastic bottle water bottles may crack and leak water when traveling. They tend to be brittle and split at the creases to make the... plastic stronger. How do I know? Come on... we learned the hard way.

When highway traffic has backed up and you have been sitting for two hours, no idea of what is blocking the Highway... and you sit. People 'may' begin to knock on your window... pleeeeeease can I use... Not my experience, but not out of the question.

This next trip I will have my usual FULL water system in the Airstream. I am not going to be hauling the Two Six Gallon fresh water plastic containers full of water. Water is now available everywhere and if you taste... better than City Water any day of the Year.

Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico National Forest Service water is excellent. Often well water. They monitor the bacteria count. One... they post a notice at some places. Get your filter out.

We carry a Camco Water Filter that is about 13 inches long, blue. I flush water through it to clean it out of carbon particles and when it runs with no air... can begin to use it. I also have an attachment that screws on where I can turn it on and off easily and attach it to the hose for water only.

Why carry 12 gallons of water from home, when I can load it at a Service Station or NFS or BLM? We also carry aluminum canned soda and flavored soda water. I did a Thread about the thin Soda Water cans vibrate along side each other, wearing pin sized holes that make them spray and drain their contents from road vibrations... but that is another story.

What do you do? There are chemicals you can add for River Water, but those days may be coming to an end. Flathead Lake in northwest Montana use to be safe to drink, but that was 50 years ago. Green algae water... maybe just stop in town.

Photos: Nevada water tank, Snake River, Idaho, Wyoming, west of Atlantic City
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5333.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	397623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0926.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	397624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5407.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	397625  
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One interesting "feature" of some folks digestive tract is a sensitivity to changing mineral content in their drinking water. Fiddle with it and it takes them a while to readjust. For those folks, switching water sources every few days isn't a good idea. Many do not understand what's going on. They blame the "issues" on a batch of bad water.

We carry bottled water for multiple reasons. One is not wanting to run into a mineral soup that happens to get to us. Another is the fun of getting the anti-freeze out of the trailer's water system. Next up is is simply is easier to deal with moving cold water into the truck than using a pitcher while driving ....

Yes, this adds to the "ballast" in the truck. You can get bottles almost anywhere. Finding them cheap generally means buying quite a few all at once. So be it ...

We also like "not sweetened" ( no sugar no artificial sweeteners ) flavored soda. Some are better than others. They all are a nice change from water water water. We also *seem* to have other fluids along as well .... meeting all your hydration needs with beer is probably not a wise thing to do

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Even though we generally tend to avoid bottled water for environmental reasons I agree with the bottled water solution for camping. Although I regularly sanitize the fresh water tank I'm still a bit leery of the varying water sources one finds on the road and so reserve the fresh tank supply for washing and showering. The bottled water we drink is a consistent, known source that agrees with all of us, both human and canine. We also bring along flavored beverages of various types for variety.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote