Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
for anyone considering a solar generator

I have been researching Goal Zero and other brands of solar generator/battery packs. This seems like a great value and i took advantage. Wanted to share in case anyone else has been considering a solar generator.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or/description
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Just a cautionary note about Kickstarter projects: don't expect delivery on schedule. These kinds of tech projects often ship six months to two years after the promised delivery date. That doesn't mean their promoters are trying to cheat you, but unexpected technical and production snags are par for the course with Kickstarter projects.

In short, if you need a lithium-based powerpack this year, buy a known brand off the shelf. If you absolutely must have a Kickstarter "early bird" bargain, be prepared to wait for it. I've backed a couple dozen Kickstarter projects over the years, and I speak from experience.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
But how does it operate? Do you hook it up to the Airstream batteries to charge them or do you plug it into the electrical socket on the exterior of the trailer as you would in a campground with hook ups?
Paulinekeogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A bit more caution on Kickstarter:

You are fronting these people money. Your "donation" goes out when you hit the button. They may or may not send you anything down the road. If they send you nothing, your ability to get your money back .... not so much ....

=====

It appears to be no different than other solar to battery to inverter "power packs". Calling them a generator confuses more than it helps.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Vaporware

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinekeogh View Post
But how does it operate? Do you hook it up to the Airstream batteries to charge them or do you plug it into the electrical socket on the exterior of the trailer as you would in a campground with hook ups?
It has a built-in mppt solar charger, and a inverter. Some people have integrated similar products, like Goal Zero, into the trailer electrical system. I haven't figured out how to do that so I am initially good to use it for a 110 source while boondocking,
and as a backup it the trailer batteries are depleated. I have a solar suitcase that will recharge the unit. I will also use it at home during power outages.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"Goal Zero" search results on this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goal...=airforums.com

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...-193642-2.html

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
I have been researching Goal Zero and other brands of solar generator/battery packs. This seems like a great value and i took advantage. Wanted to share in case anyone else has been considering a solar generator.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or/description
What is the advantage of a portable battery pack? Why not just solar panels to charge your house battery. If you want more battery capacity put in a larger battery box with two batteries. It is not a 'generator' and will not power very much for very long.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Solar generator, eh?
Sounds like a battery to me.
"Just plug in any solar panel to charge."
"Recharges in two hours and provides 1600 watts of power."
Pardon me if I spit my coffee out at that claim.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Solar generator, eh?
Sounds like a battery to me.
"Just plug in any solar panel to charge."
"Recharges in two hours and provides 1600 watts of power."
Pardon me if I spit my coffee out at that claim.
I DESPISE the deceptive advertising practices of these "entrepreneurs" and "inventors" who market this crap. A generator is a thing. A portable battery pack (with or without solar charging) is also a thing, but a VERY different thing than a generator.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I pledged three times on Kickstarter at much lower dollar amounts. One came through, the other two just went away with no explanation. For that much money, I'd be wary.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Your "donation" goes out when you hit the button
No, you're only charged if they hit their goal. Then see my previous post.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #13
gsp
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Looks like the same exact thing as the bluetti, except that you have to wait to get it.

https://www.maxoak.net/portable-sola...s/show/51.html

You can buy a lot of 100w solar panels for that price though...
gsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Maybe one could pursue an FTC complaint against con-men purveying a "solar generator" that's neither a generator nor includes any sort of solar panel...

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Some of the comments are very rigid. When you buy a generator does it come with gas? Is that false advertising if a generator just sits, doesn't generate, until you add gas?
A solar generator is the same. It sits, until you add the panels. The technology on battery storage units are rapidly improving and changing all the time.
I chose to go with a solar unit as I have a small sport 16 and didn't want to mess with the weight, gas storage and transport, and the noise. Maybe try thinking outside of the box.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Some of the comments are very rigid. When you buy a generator does it come with gas? Is that false advertising if a generator just sits, doesn't generate, until you add gas?
A solar generator is the same. It sits, until you add the panels. The technology on battery storage units are rapidly improving and changing all the time.
I chose to go with a solar unit as I have a small sport 16 and didn't want to mess with the weight, gas storage and transport, and the noise. Maybe try thinking outside of the box.
Can you explain the difference between this and a portable battery? Couldn’t you just buy an extra battery and attach a solar panel and charger? Or does this do something I’m missing?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
This is a battery bank with a built-in inverter. It's a very nice battery, but it's still a battery. Words have meanings, that's how language works. I'm not saying this is useless, I'm saying it's NOT A GENERATOR.
Generator: a dynamo or similar machine for converting mechanical energy into electricity.
There's a difference between "thinking outside the box" and "not thinking at all." I have a portable solar setup, and I use it instead of a generator whenever it's practical to do so. I prefer it because it's silent and clean, but I don't call it a generator.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
We've had a Goal Zero Yeti 400 for several years and love it. It's basically a AGM battery with several options for recharging electronics, monitoring what's being charged, and recharging the generator. We use it while boondocking to run led lights, satillite radio, and tv.
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #19
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
For great info on solar generators go here:
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
For those with a solar battery, wouldn't dare use generator even if the solar panels generate power to charge the battery.
How do you integrate it in your trailer if trailer battery is low?
I am thinking of adding a 12 volt lighter plug, to run lights etc.