Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St Louis , Missouri
Flyfishing boondocking

Are there any Airstream flyfisherman that have boondocked in WY or Montana? Want to take my fist Airstream trip this Spring or early summer and get in a lot of fly fishing..
slimitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I'm game

I've not but sounds like my idea of a good time.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I go to Montana every year for about a month. I fly fish too (that's the reason for the trip). Montana has many BLM camp grounds along every great fishing location. Some have water and pit toilets. Rates are cheap, around $6 a night.
Just make sure you dump when you can and fill up with drinking water. I have been staying mostly at full service campgrounds because my Sister joins me
and she requires all the creature comforts. Don't over look Yellowstone. I like to stay at Pebble Creek. Very close to great fishing and out of the way.
You will have a great time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Oh man does that sound like fun! One of these days.....
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
That's exactly the kind of thing I want to do when I get my Airstream!
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Stevensville/Fort Fun , Montana
Fly Fish Montana

Hi Guys, If you are heading this way let me know. I have been working as a fly fishing guide in montana for the past eight years and would be willing to help you out and answer any questions you might have. I live in my Airstream down on the Bighorn River from April to November. But I have fished all over Montana my hole live and know a lot of ins and outs. Spring is always a great time of year to fish Montana, the bite is good and it isn't very crowded yet.
out4trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by out4trout
Hi Guys, If you are heading this way let me know. I have been working as a fly fishing guide in montana for the past eight years and would be willing to help you out and answer any questions you might have. I live in my Airstream down on the Bighorn River from April to November. But I have fished all over Montana my hole live and know a lot of ins and outs. Spring is always a great time of year to fish Montana, the bite is good and it isn't very crowded yet.
We stay right on the Yellowstone all summer and fall, but no boondocking for my dear wife!

There are many places closeby us where you can pull in and (I suppose) stay as long as you want for free (on public land) or as already mentioned, at developed sites (nat'l forest service, fish and game river accesses, and the like) for up to a couple weeks for a nominal fee.

There's also at least a couple Airstreamers registered on this site that offer courtesy parking on their property (can't vouch for their scenery) but I know they are close to prime fishing spots.

John

p.s. Be very careful about when and where you plan any springtime trips versus the weather and potential for river run-offs.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Check out the U.S. Forest Service Campgrounds along the Madison River just below West Yellowstone.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Northern KY , Kentucky
go west

checked 03 bambi today in storage here in northern kentucky. unit is ready for florida this winter with a return in spring for montana. my son is in school at MSU in bozeman. haven't had opprtunity to use unit as planned until the present. he claims you have to come out west dad.
Flyrods and golf clubs are always ready.
Lost my sweet partner to cancer 2006 so need to take a solo trip and try what we had planned.
haven't posted many items here but like to see others and the good times that fellow airstreamers have. thanks for the posts. rolo
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
HI, I am a fly fisherman also and an initiating the wife into it too. Hey if she doesn't like it look at all the new equipment I get.
I would be interested in your observations and those of others as to places to camp and fish.
If you are looking for great fly fishing areas don't forget Washington State. We have some of the best fresh and salt water fisheries in the nation.
Rick56Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Hi! It's great to see so many flyfishers in the forum. I to am a flynut and a guide in B.C. Canada. There is a guide in Twin Bridges that has a Fly Shop and some cabins along with 4 or 5 hookups that he charges very little for. If you look on a Montana map you will see that there are alot of great rivers and spring creeks in that area. Twin Bridges is a small town and the home of the Winston Rod Co. There are also places to BD in the area. Good luck
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Montana is my second choice . If I finish the globetrotter to a point where I feel comfortable traveling 10,000 miles at a clip. I plan to leave for Alaska on June 9th .If there is any time left .I may stop there on my way home.
If not next year
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Fly fishing Montana

I find this a great thread as we're planning a 9 week trip to the Mt Rushmore/Yellowstone/Flat Head Lake area in September. And finishing it in October through the southwest before heading back home.

I plan on bringing my fly gear plus my shotgun if I can to hunt with my dog in western Oregon as bird season will be open by then. (I have an old high school chum who works for the BLM over there)

Our local fly fish outfitter does a two week guided trip out that way every September that I'd like to hook up while out there.

Davidson River Outfitters - Home

Plus my best friend from the Navy has place off Lake Mary Ronan just west of Flat Head Lake where we'll stay a couple days too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	52730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	52737  

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Not to change the thread but what are the laws concerning transporting guns ? I would like to take a 30-30 and my 20 ga with me when I go .I don't know where I'm going to be so I don't want to mail it to some destination.
I also don't want to end up in jail or fined
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
Hi! It's great to see so many flyfishers in the forum. I to am a flynut and a guide in B.C. Canada.
Hi Allen,
I go up every year and flyfish the lakes in BC for two months (September and October) between Merrit and Quesnel . Where and when do you guide in BC ?
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Hi Fred,
I have a fly fishing lodge about an hour and a half N.E. of Williams Lake on Quesnel Lake. While we have our own guides I do some fill in guiding in late Aug. And sometimes in Sept. We have about 40 small lakes in the area, most of our fishing is done in the 4 rivers around the lodge.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hey Allen,
Sounds Cool !!! Where about on Q.L. is your lodge?
I have fished around that area a bit. Fished Keno, Jaques, and Oslie a couple years ago. Want to fish HenIngrim as i didn't have time back then. I'm a stillwater fanatic focusing on sightfishing in shallow /shoal type lakes. Have you fished any of the lakes between QL and west end of Horsefly (birch bay) like Jim Lowry, Kwun, or Douglas L ? Was wondering if they have any Trophy trout in them ?
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Fred,
I'm not the best stillwater guy in the world, I have not fished those lakes. There are so many closer to us. They all fish well at times our small lakes turn over late may and we have some good fishind in early June. If you want trophy fish I think there are better places in the lower 48, mainly because they are stocked. None of the lakes in our area have been stocked for 30 or 40 years,they all have 5 to maybe 8 lbs.Bows but most are in the 11 to 16'' range. Quesnel lake however has bows to 30+ lbs. Not easy to catch. You ,however, can do some sight fishing on the lake, I do during the stone fly hatch. To answer your question, our lodge is called Northern Lights Lodge I use to fish there when I was a kid and ended up buying it 11 yearsago It sits on the lake about 1 mile before it becomes Quesnel River. Northern Lights Lodge, Quesnel Lake, British Columbia. BC Fly Fishing Guides, Horsefly River, Quesnel River, Mitchell & Cariboo Rivers It is just a few miles up river from a very small village called Likely.

Good Fishing,
Al
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Fred, I just read my mess. I don't no were all the blue verbege came from
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
The Madison River

Hi All,
We are planning a trip to fish the Madison too. Is spring better than late fall?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have a thirty-two hour trip to get there but it will be well worth it.
Many thanks,

Lin & Mark
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote