Old 04-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Fly Fishing this year? Read this Book!

It has been three years since I paid $100 for an Annual Wyoming Fishing License for out of state. Water was low and trout were scarce in western Wyoming higher elevations where we were camping. That happens... Fish: 0

A book I pulled off my shelf recently was an eye opener.

How to Fish from Top to Bottom by Sid W. Gordon, 1955 with a second printing 1957. (Possibly in later printings... book sites like ABEBooks or EBay?)

The book is 384 pages, 126 text figures. (Lakes and Stream fishing.)

Water quality. Clarity. Plankton blooms. Nymphs. Fish behavior. Carbon Dioxide and pH content. Nymph flies, etc. Lime contents. Hook sizes. Wet or Dry Fly options. Underwater plants determine... guess?

Clear versus Brown water and fish poundage to be expected is interesting. Oxygen content under frozen lakes that can kill fish. Lots of this kind of material.

I am at page 116 and need to go back to page ONE. The writer worked in Wisconsin for Fish and Water Quality studies. Trout and Bass among others.

I discovered I knew NOTHING about fishing. Low Bound CO2 ppm and Very Soft Water... you are wasting your time. Bound CO2 30-100ppm and Hard Water... All Species are to be found.

I did find my "The 5 Classic Fisherman's Knots" sheet I have carried forever.

Check it out. Maybe this year, I will become... fish smart..

Do you have anything to add? The Trout will not know what happened.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Even though your book is old, don't worry, the trout have not changed much. Water conditions, flows, and temperatures have changed a lot, so info about specific streams and lakes in the book is probably no longer correct. Also, in many areas, the trout have seen so many flies that fooling them may be more difficult.

Travel trailers and fly fishing go well together because of the ability to leave the trailer and drive to various fishing localities with just the tow vehicle. I like to delude myself that the trout are impressed by my trailer being an Airstream.

The observation skills that come with being a geologist help in analyzing fishing results. A geologist's ability to convince him or herself of something based on minimal evidence does sometimes get in the way!

Tim

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Fly Fish the morning and the late afternoon for trout... and Gold Pan the rest of the day.

After gold panning... you will sleep well and dream about catching your limit.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
My favorite book on fly fishing is the Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson. It gives you the essential information you need, and all of it illustrated with drawings that help you understand what he’s talking about. It was perfect for me as a beginner, and each time I open it now I either discover something I missed or rediscover something I’d forgotten. I think it’s ten bucks new and half that used.

After that, Hemmingway’s Big Two Hearted River, A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean and the fly fishing mystery series by John Galligan and Kieth Mccaffery keep me going between trips to the River.

Those of you who don’t fly fish probably shouldn’t try it. It can become an obsession. Ask my wife. She took up the sport on a trip to drop our daughter off at the University of Montana and quickly decided that she couldn’t keep staying in motels so she bought a new Bambi-without telling me. We now tool around the great rivers of the west in a 25’ EB and own way too many rods and reels.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Tying Flies - great.

As far as the book goes. It sounds like a wealth of information. IMO, It doesn't matter if the PH isn't quite right or what ever, the fish are there or there not. I move on. I still have a couple of fly rods and have beat the water with them in an attempt to like it. I have caught fish with them but It's just not my cup of tea. Most of the "Purest Fly Fishermen" I know have too much stuff (Long Rods, waders, Special shoes, float tubes, Tippets, etc. etc.) for my lifestyle. Plus you need a lot of room to cast. Were I go I am usually in the trees and brush with a short 5.5' ultra light rod and reel, not very conducive to fly casting. I like to hit and run to the next hole while hiking. I did learn to tie my own flies. That is fun and I use them with my spinning rod and reals in small streams, rivers. I can use a casting bobber and hit the lakes with my flies when I want. You all can have those fly rods.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 30 Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Just bought the book on eBay for $23. I figure that's the cheapest fly-fishing purchase I'll make in 2020! Thanks for the referral - can't wait to start reading (and using the lessons).
OldFolksRoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"You can have all those fly rods"

Thanks. I will take them. Do you need an address to send them to?

Oh no, I looked and I do not have a place to put any more fly rods anyway. Each to his own in fishing methods.

Last summer I went to a fly shop I trust out west and asked for a good attractor pattern to fish. I bought a dozen of it the first time and restocked a couple more times. I caught a few fish in a lot of places with them. A lot of it was good luck and perseverance. I will take that when I can. I used maybe 4 patterns of flies all summer. Three at one spring creek and the 4 th one almost everywhere else. I do not hike or move in waders well so I tend to fish the larger, well known spots from fairly close to the car and very close to the bank. Often in the very early afternoon. Day trips with a lunch. Fish eat lunch too. I landed several fish around 18". Of course all the ones I missed or broke off were larger than that.

The science of fly fishing is way to deep for me. I can not even remember the names of the bugs I am supposed to be imitating.

I do love the sound and sight and feel of a good fish hitting on the surface and making that first run all the way across the pool. I fished too light a tippet most of the summer. Broke off of a lot of them. But I prefer that to not getting the hit. Though I said something different loudly at the time.

We will not make the trip this summer. Bummer. I hope the SMNP reopens some time in the early summer.

My personal guide for fishing is to try to go to places where there are fish that will respond to the method I want to use.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Saratoga, Wyoming: Hot Springs and North Platte River

For those who like to get wet... North Platte River, Saratoga, Wyoming. Going south, towards the mountains, you get to the headwaters of the North Platte. Some Gold Placering up there, as well. You will see RV's and Trailers parked with white plastic buckets of gravel... that is it.

The Platte is wide... but shallow. It is more of a Catch and Release area and well posted for any large trout to be released.

Saratoga, Wyoming has the Hot Springs and Hobo Spring where you, use to, have free showers, hot HOT and HOTTER spring water coming out of the ground in large volumes.

You like it cooler?... the HOT Spring water runs into the North Platte and you find a comfort zone. Wear swimming clothing. You can change in the clean shower units next to the swimming pool and Hot Spring Hobo Pool. In the Winter, yes I have been there in in 20 degree weather... a dense fog surrounds the area. By the time you get out, dry off... you can get to your automobile before... well, things can nipped.

Kids will inner tube up stream and meet the parents at the Hot Springs.

Not very crowded. Bait and Tackle Shops, restaurant, City Park... and camping in the Snowy Range Off the Grid... if you find a spot your trailer will fit. Mosquitos can be annoying earlier in the Spring to blood sucking carnivores... otherwise, ask in town about them.

You can drive up to the Headwaters of the North Platte which is about a foot deep and a City Block wide at the end of the road. Toss the kids in the water and read your fishing book.

The Snowy Range has some high elevation lakes. Cannot recall what the fishing restrictions are and too lazy to pull out a Game and Fish guide.

Montana... much the same in variety.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Ah the Platte. Too thick to drink and too thin to plow. With the current travel restrictions in place here I believe the trout will remain off the hook, at least off of mine. C'est la vie.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Fish not Quarantined in Wyoming, yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Ah the Platte. Too thick to drink and too thin to plow. With the current travel restrictions in place here I believe the trout will remain off the hook, at least off of mine. C'est la vie.
The Wyoming Game and Fish have not required TROUT be quarantined, yet.

Wyoming Trout over 18 inches are smart and keep up on the News and post on outdoor magazine websites.

Livestock and horses are exempt. If you carry a side arm, exempt. By the time the snow melts in Wyoming this will all be over. Around 2021, or so.

Wyoming: The State where Men are Men and the Women... are in CHARGE.