Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Courtesy is the issue. We use and enjoy having our Honda EU2000i Companion. It has opened up a type of camping for us that we really enjoy. I often must work at the computer for several hours a day while on a trip, so in addition to topping off batteries,etc ... it gives me the ability to work long distance which would not be quite as possible without a generator.

That having been said, we are sensitive to those around us and we try our best to place the generator so that it is as unobtrusive as possible...and of course, we always honor the campground's quiet hours. While our generator is very quiet ... a polite generator, if you will... we do understand the distress caused by industrial-type generators that sound like a lawn mower in heat. We have had to endure that and it is no fun.

Of course, if there is an option for an electric hookup, that is even better...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Lumatic Touched on It

In a previous post, Lumatic made a statement about music. You know when you are in the great outdoors, how better to enjoy yourself than with a few mega speakers and sub-woofer to play your rap? Nothing shouts Motha Nature more than that.

It takes a lot of power to run those things. Solar just isn't enough.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
"Roughing it"?

In an Airstream?! solar panels, stove, A/C, toiler & shower, TV, soft couches?
What we do can't be called " camping" its "Glamping" - glamor camping!

Cheers!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Generator Etiquette

All the complaints on this subject seem to require some sort of consences to the appropriate time generators might be used.
Voice your opinion here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tte-73621.html

Aux. power units are a fact of todays needs, but like everything else in life, there are consequences for every action?????

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
The comments here are a good reason to go way off the grid. My thing: tolerance for your neighbor.
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
In my experience, it's not generators that are the biggest noise makers, especially in CG's that have hookups - it's radio's turned up so load the guys fishing 3 miles down stream can hear - and air conditioners!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
ha! reminds of a camping trip on the green river late one fall...snowing, cold, the campground was full of fishermen in various and assorted tents and trailers we were in a wall tent with a stove...one guy in the whole campground in his rv ran his generator all night. after two nights i couldn't take it anymore i told him to knock it off with a few other choice words thrown in or move on...which he did. he hated me but i became an instant folk hero with the rest of the folks in the campground! lol
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A few years ago we were at a dry camping rally in a big dusty field and a couple in an old motorhome parked right next to us (too close for our comfort already - we had a lovely view of the mountains, then we had a lovely view of a big old motorhome), and then ran their generator for a couple hours around dinnertime. Because it was unbearably hot we had our door and all the windows open hoping for a breeze, but we had to close them because we were getting choked by the exhaust fumes. Not one of my favorite camping memories! I'm sure they had no idea how annoying they were though, and we headed out the next day anyway to look for someplace cooler.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
one guy in the whole campground in his rv ran his generator all night
There is a thing I've heard about in these situations ... sometimes those generators somehow get broken ceramics on their spark plugs and then they refuse to run any more. I don't know whether it is weather related or what, but anyway, I've heard of it happening.

Most often late at night when they're unattended.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do not have a generator yet but I am going to purchase one soon. Reasons: Experience has shown that with the standard batteries I have we can go 3 days in hot or cold weather and to do that requires limiting the furnace or fans. CPAP and I do not like to run out of electricity. It starts beeping and then cuts out when the voltage goes low. Plan to run the gen about 1 hour per day to keep battery charged. Have not decided whether to get a little one or get one that will run AC also? Suggestions?
Edmonton is cooler most of the year than Arizona, Texas, Lousiana, and some other SW states we are going to this summer.
There is "roughing it" and then there is "darn hot" or cold without electricity.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
As a cub reporter in Great Falls MT, I covered a confrontation involving a generator. One old guy pulled a gun & killed the other old guy.

Pretty much ended the camping days of everyone involved.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #32
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
CPAP and I do not like to run out of electricity. It starts beeping and then cuts out when the voltage goes low. Plan to run the gen about 1 hour per day to keep battery charged.
My brother-in-law's CPAP machine uses 8 amps, his converter charges at about 16 amps, all measured with my DC amp meter on the battery terminal. If yours is the same, you'll need an hour of generator for every 2 hours of CPAP usage.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
speaking of obnoxious noise. i just bought my first airstream it came with an ac unit mounted on the top. when i got home i turned it on just to see if it worked....it does and it's going away!...too much noise! i don't have a heater but i want to get one..the kind with no fan!....any traders out there?
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
[Begin hijack]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
speaking of obnoxious noise. i just bought my first airstream it came with an ac unit mounted on the top. when i got home i turned it on just to see if it worked....it does and it's going away!...too much noise! i don't have a heater but i want to get one..the kind with no fan!....any traders out there?
A couple of things.

1-Don't make up your mind about the AC till you've been in the Airstream in the summer in the sun.

2-The furnace fans don't make much noise anyway.

However, there is an Olympian Wave 6 heater for sale in the classifieds, Gotta go $ 160.00: Olympian Wave 6 Heater - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

[End hijack]

Now back to the generator thread.

Speaking of generators, a large moho pulled in close to me in Florida in a small campground. We were the only ones there. They had a hole in their exhaust system, so the muffler was useless. They parked with the hole pointed towards me rather than away. I finally asked them to at least turn the moho around and point the noise toward the trees.

They did shut it off in a few minutes. They were cooking supper and running the microwave. Took quite a while, though.

I really wouldn't have minded if the exhaust had been in good repair. No muffler is really loud.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
What are most people using in the way of generators? I plan to go to Alaska this year and plan to stay in campgrounds, however, I want to go off grid--if needed. I was looking at the KIPOR, Yamaha, and Honda and I have look at reviews at various retail sites, however, the more I look the more confused I am getting. My loyal friends at Trailers for Less suggested I ask my fellow A/S.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream

There is a thing I've heard about in these situations ... sometimes those generators somehow get broken ceramics on their spark plugs and then they refuse to run any more. I don't know whether it is weather related or what, but anyway, I've heard of it happening.

Most often late at night when they're unattended.
So much for the "Airstream Image"! Just like the rest of the world, if you don't (fill in the blank) with others, vandalize or terrorize. Boon docking means no one can hear you - music, generator, love life or conversation. That's what I prefer. If you aren't socialized enough to "camp" with in 10 ft. Of someone, don't. Or, vandalize their property. I can dig it. If it mysteriously burns while unattended, that is an even more permanent solution - I would imagine. Not that we're suggesting anything of the sort in this forum.

Two Honda 2000's will do the job. Use one for all but the AC or both if you will need the AC w/out shore power. I rarely use AC if I don't have shore power. I boon dock a lot but in places that if you're messing with the "ceramics", you'll have a serious response and modest legal defense.

Happy streaming, I guess.
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not everyone is like you, or me!

Hi, I have a [quiet] generator and so far only used it a few times. The smaller generators will have to run longer to recharge your batteries. [1000 watt models] My trailer came with a cord to be plugged into something and if there isn't any shore power, I'm firing up the generator. [if needed] Boondocking does not mean complete silence; It means there are no hook ups where you chose to camp. If you want complete silence go find a very deep cave. I do my best to not bother anyone and run my generator at proper times during the day or afternoon. [never at night] I guess some of you have proven the term beware of silent people, because you are talking about vandalizing someone else's property.

I chose a portable generator to recharge my batteries and to run my air conditioner. It would cost me more than double the price for a proper solar panel system, than my generator cost, and it still wouldn't run my air conditioner. On the other hand, I would not like to hear a contractor's generator, but then again, maybe they're poor and that's all they can afford, since they're not an Airstream millionaire like me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #38
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I purchased a Honda 2000i .... 2000 watts I think, small, lightweight, output AC or DC; Runs 5 hours on a small tank of gas; powers everything on my AS at once including my computer and best of all...its quiet!

When you add that factor with the other forum observations: think of your neighbour; dont run it at night or all day;courtesy and consideration, it is an unbeatable combination. And, having compared costs, cheaper than a solar panel complex.

Cheers!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Trying to banish us silent types to a "very deep cave" is about as mature as me wanting to banish all generator users to a very remote island.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
Trying to banish us silent types to a "very deep cave" is about as mature as me wanting to banish all generator users to a very remote island.
Hi, mature has nothing to do with what I said. I'm talking about the people who feel they must destroy other peoples property to get their way/silence. That's a little extreme. I have no problem if they have a generator and non-generator area or campground. I can't stand smokers either, but if one camps next to me "Oh well" I'm not going to destroy any of their property because of it. Rodney King said, "Can't we all get along?"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote