Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Enough Power?

My wife and I ordered a 28' Flying Cloud with two (2) A/C units, this past May and am trying to figure out this new hobby. We are supposed to take delivery this coming February/March. This will be the first time I've been caming since the early 70s when I would ride my 10-speed across Wisconsin with a sleeping bag and tent.
We ordered a 28' because of the rear bedroom configuration (furthest away from the generators). I plan on mountig my Honda 2000 and soon to be 2200 Companion on the rear bumper. The 2000 is compatible. We have a Ford Excursion with an Aluminess bumper. I've upgraded the suspension to F-350 springs and Airlift bags. We also have two (2) metal boxes that will enclose the generators and space above for some sort of fuel container.
We ordered the solar package. We figured that it would be cheaper and probably have less issues with the factory making all the holes in the AS.
Our plan, as it is now, is to use the 2200 for the main cabin A/C during the day and then switch it to cool off the bedroom at night. When there is no sun, we thought the 2000 could power the fridge and other smaller stuff.
Question 1: how do I hook up the generators with the AS?
Question 2: should I use gas or propane?
Question 2 1/2: how do I get the fuel from the fuel tanks to the generators?
Question 3: how many extra solar panels should I ask the dealer to install?
Queston 4: what should I pay for the Lithium battery upgrade?
Our thinking is that every third day, or so, we want to go for full hook-ups so we can take a really long shower.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
There's quite a bit to unpack in your post and questions.

I can chime in with a few answers, but not all. You connect the generators to the Airstream using your standard power cable. I think the Honda companion has a 30A RV connector, so you'd use a dogbone to connect your 50A Airstream power cable.

Gasoline vs. propane is a personal decision. Many prefer propane because it's simple, it doesn't require you to carry gasoline cans, etc. That said, if you camp at higher altitudes you'll find that propane doesn't provide as much energy/power as gasoline, which becomes more important at higher altitude where you lose about 3 - 4% of your power per 1,000 feet of elevation. Additionally, it's easier to refill a gasoline can than a propane tank. Personally, I use gasoline and I'm happy with it. You may find propane more attractive.

I use a RotoPAX gasoline can in my truck bed to transport fuel. it works beautifully. If you choose to use propane, then you can use a propane tank, or you can convert your generator(s) to run directly from the low pressure propane port on your Airstream. I choose to prioritize propane for running my furnace, stove, fridge, water heater, etc.

Solar and lithium is a deep rabbit hole, and also a personal choice. It's expensive, but it's very cool. I have solar and AGM batteries and these work very well for me most of the time, but for longer trips or trips where I need air conditioning, the generator is necessary.

Good luck with your new adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotopax gasoline can.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	403497  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off: Where will you be using your new toy? There are a lot of places that don't let you run a generator at all or restrict it's use.

If the generators are mounted on the truck, how is the trailer powered when you are out and about? Very typically one sets up camp and then heads off from there on various adventures.

There is a lot more to vehicle payload and tow capacity past just the suspension. I would be a bit skeptical of any form of upgrade that try for a significant boost in either category. The trailer tongue weight may be up over 1,000 pounds loaded for camping. Generators plus fuel add to that ....

The bumper extension on the Excursion is going to make things a bit exciting when you go to hook up the trailer. Most folks don't have enough distance from truck to the jack on the tongue to drop a tailgate with the trailer straight back. As you go around a curve, that distance decreases.

So off to solar land ....

I'm not a big fan of having a random dealer do this or that with solar. The factory solar is very good stuff. The factory lithium upgrade is good stuff. There are a ton of threads here about absolutely horrible systems being tacked on by dealers at crazy high prices.

You have three pretty good choices:

1) Do it your self. This saves money and you can be sure it's done with good parts.

2) Get the factory to do it. Either order it in or drive up to Jackson Center and have them add this or that to the trailer. Airstream has a lithium upgrade package available. Dealer pricing seems to be a bit high from most dealers.

3) Have a pro who specializes in solar / battery upgrades do it. There aren't a ton of pro's out there, but they do exist. The work they do is *way* better than what a random dealer would do. Based on posts here and there, the prices they charge may be less than what this or that dealer is asking .... You live just about next door to one of them so not a long drive.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote