Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Crowd Gathers while Boondoocking

Boondocking Western Nebraska... A crowd had gathered. We were in fear for our lives. The mooing was loud and menacing. "MoooooAhhhh... OHHHH" times fifty.

Angus cattle. Not easy going Herefords. You know the difference, I hope? Now you do.

Tails swishing, and what they were leaving around the trailer was, well, rather disgusting. Each Individual weighed more than the all of the occupants in the trailer. A 23 foot Safari all by itself in the Western USA. Living up to its namesake... Safari.

We had just purchased in Crawford, Nebraska four pounds of ground chuck and the WORD was obviously out. We were in Danger of being... something, but it was in the air. A hint of Cow Pattie was recalled when I recalled: "When Cow Pattie is in town... you had better watch your step."

I was looking for a Tree to hide behind. Hmmm The Black Hills were about 60 miles north... maybe try something else to hide behind came to mind.

We could smell the potential danger of biting HORSE flies, Saliva on our Airstream... would have been even worse. Possibly revenge for having that Denny's Double Cheesburger with fries on the way to the campsite. Although I left a $5 tip.

Lucky for us, our two Blue Heelers knew what to do. They... brought them closer to the trailer. Plan one, failed.

I had to go outside, after the photo op, and persuade the crowd to disperse. They did after a serious 'mooing' explanation that we also liked .... chicken sandwiches. It worked like a John Wayne movie.

The herd mentality exists everywhere these days. Big cities come to mind, but that is another longer story.

Plan two worked well. Heelers on the loose. No heeling, but the mob took off.

We could handle the Mob. We have our two Blue Heelers... and Nancy with a Frying Pan in her hand. Hoping...

WHAT can you ADD while Boondocking? A raccoon with a snarling attitude? Do not be bashful. A photo is enough, leave the imagination to others if needed.

Take my advice when departing the National Grasslands. Always. Always CLOSE the Gate. And wipe your feet before getting back into the tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2404.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	369317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2407.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	369318  

Name:	DSCN2405.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	369322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2406.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	369323  

Old 06-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It figures the Blue Heelers would obey their instincts and bring the herd close for your convenience. It must have been fun to watch them work!

Note: my understanding of the way you tell the difference between a ‘drugstore cowboy’ and a ‘real cowboy’ is that with a real cowboy the manure is always on the outside of the boots. Easy and obvious, IMHO.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Rich is close.

Cowboys do not wear treaded boots or sandals.

They wear slick bottom 'western boots' with high heels and pointy toes. Your feet hurt, but break in after ten years. By that time the sole is worn through, but keep them as they are now comfortable.

When walking forward in boots, they are also falling, so walking faster to maintain some composure.

There is a 'S&%T' scrapper at the door entry bolted to the deck. And a broom when the, you know what, gets piled up.

The fender wells of all vehicles are coated with livestock 'cash'. Green is fresh. Light brown is patina and status when in town.

Wears a Ball Cap on an ATV at the Ranch. Wears everything else when NOT on the ATV, at a Rodeo and rides a horse to get pop corn from the vendor.

I bet others can add Rhinestone Cowboy or Authentic Cowboy quotes.

When castrating Bulls, they serve them to the Tourists thinking they are meat balls in the spaghetti. (Think I am kidding? Wow... don't get sick on me.)
Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Crowd Gathers while Boondoocking

C’mon Ray, ‘Prairie Oysters’ lightly breaded and deep fried are delicious...even without spaghetti!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Utah... Cricket Infestations: May 2006 and May 2020

Two cricket infestations force Boondockers to retreat, after wiping off their shoes. This photo was Utah May 2006.

Traveling through Utah in May 2020, dark red crickets crossing the highway. We learned our lesson in 2006 not to stop and camp.

Fender wells of both Tow Vehicle and Airstream were... thick with victims. The rock guards on the Airstream looked like Cricket Artwork.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0884.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	369471