Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Boston , Massachusetts
Catalytic heaters

Hi all. I've searched the forum for answers to this question, but haven't really found much.

I'm going to be doing a lot of boondocking this winter. It will mostly be in the Southwest, but I do expect to be in a number of places (northern NM, southern CO) where it will be quite cold in February/March. Boondocking for any length of time would be a real challenge if I'm using the AS propane heat system, due to the draw on the batteries from the fan. I'm thinking a catalytic heater with no fan might be the answer. Would love to hear from people who do cold-weather boondocking frequently -- do you use a catalytic? How many btu's should I be looking for to heat a 21' AS? Any other tips for staying warm while conserving battery power?
HermitCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
We use an Olympian "Wave 8" in our 21' 1971 Globetrotter, and we like it!
It may be larger than we actually need, but it sure warms the place up well!
Plus, you can stand in front of it and warm your backside like a fireplace.
Be sure and follow the safety instructions if you get one, and most people advise against running it while you sleep.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Gabriel , California
A buddy of mine has a Olympian "Wave 6" for his 27 foot...He likes it. It stores in the closet...don't forget to buy the legs and the cover. He also had a supply line with a quick connect add under the refrigerator.

He also suggested 12 volt mattress heated pads.

John T
clicker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
We have a Wave6 as well, been using it for almost 10 years. On low it
keeps our 31 ft sovereign at 70 down to 30 out. Couple of things, we leave
a window cracked about 1 inch, we have a carbon monoxide detector, we have
a cover for it when not in use. It is on a permanent wall mount.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Are you planning on using your water while you're out boondocking? The furnace keeps your tanks warm through vents in the bellypan. The catalytic heater won't do that. It'll heat your living space just fine, though. (and do crack a window & have a detector if you use it!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
How much do you need to crack the windows When using it? Also do you loose all your heat with the windows open?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The heater consumes oxygen although it burns clean so you need to allow a little replenishment. 10 or 15 sq. in. is plenty. Using a ceiling vent will let the hot air out so use a window.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had something like that in our former trailer. It worked nicely. It was mounted on the side of the cabinet as you entered through the door. We never used it as a primary heat source but it would nicely take the chill off and warm the front living area.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitCrab View Post
Hi all. I've searched the forum for answers to this question, but haven't really found much.

I'm going to be doing a lot of boondocking this winter. It will mostly be in the Southwest, but I do expect to be in a number of places (northern NM, southern CO) where it will be quite cold in February/March. Boondocking for any length of time would be a real challenge if I'm using the AS propane heat system, due to the draw on the batteries from the fan. I'm thinking a catalytic heater with no fan might be the answer. Would love to hear from people who do cold-weather boondocking frequently -- do you use a catalytic? How many btu's should I be looking for to heat a 21' AS? Any other tips for staying warm while conserving battery power?
I know they're popular but I think they are dangerous and won't have one in my trailer.

For boondocking I have a gravity-vent furnace in my C-11 that doesn't require electricity. In my Airstream I just have the furnace, extra batteries, and provisions to charge the batteries from the truck alternator.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
There is a catalytic heater available that vents to the outside. It doesn't create as much trouble with condensation but does run a very small fan for the vent. Supposedly you don't need to have a window open.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
There is a catalytic heater available that vents to the outside. It doesn't create as much trouble with condensation but does run a very small fan for the vent. Supposedly you don't need to have a window open.
Al
Do you know what the brand name is or where to find them?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I believe a search for Platinum Catalytic heater will turn it up. I believe the company is west coast.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found it:
http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html

Al, Thank you

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Life of catalytic head due to poisoning

I have long thought of buying a Wave 6 but have been deterred because of reports of catalytic bed (or mat) contamination called poisoning which is not covered in warranty.

This occurs after a year or two use perhaps in normal conditions. I am concerned that the useful lifespan may not be that great.

I'd like to hear from owners whose experience may verify/ deny this.

Your comments....
Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Hermit

I just love the challenge and independence of boondocking.

I have a "little buddy" portable cat heater. It only puts out about 7,000 btu/hr. I use it but I am a little uneasy about sleeping with it operating.

I recommend operating your furnace and having a small 1k or 2k jenny to charge up the batteries.

I recommend keeping your trailer cool at night and sleeping in a down sleeping bag with a knit hat. 40 degrees won't bother you at all. Then in the morning turn on the cat heater.

A 12v mattress pad heater would be nice, but that will kill your batteries in no time.

Sound like you have some great camping adventures planned. Have fun!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
I have long thought of buying a Wave 6 but have been deterred because of reports of catalytic bed (or mat) contamination called poisoning which is not covered in warranty.

This occurs after a year or two use perhaps in normal conditions. I am concerned that the useful lifespan may not be that great.

I'd like to hear from owners whose experience may verify/ deny this.

Your comments....
Steve
It is important to cover the pad when the heater is not in use so that dust doesn't accumulate.

There is progressive degradation in performance but in typical camping use patterns they last around 5-10 years.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Slow deterioration of Cats..over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is important to cover the pad when the heater is not in use so that dust doesn't accumulate.

There is progressive degradation in performance but in typical camping use patterns they last around 5-10 years.
Thanks Jammer,
That is the tenor that I got from reading over the years about cats. I guess it bothers me that it lasts a fairly short time. I was aware about the need for a dust cover that helps.

Someone has said that using an inline fuel filter for the propane makes a difference too. I'm not sure if commercial propane has 'trash' in it or not. Perhaps it does and it doesn't bother regular gas flames like stoves & water heaters.

Do you have a take on that?
10 years would be OK, but I don't like the slow deterioration....
Steve
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

How can one tell if the pad is bad?

We are the third owner of a ~12 year old heater. The trailer was never used all that often. Heater probably even less. It does light up and work fine. Not overly impressed with the output, but it does give off good heat. How do I know if I'm missing out?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Good Question.. Anyone try fuel filters inline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
How can one tell if the pad is bad?

We are the third owner of a ~12 year old heater. The trailer was never used all that often. Heater probably even less. It does light up and work fine. Not overly impressed with the output, but it does give off good heat. How do I know if I'm missing out?
It heats what is directly in front of the heater. That's why people put them on a side hinge (when mounting by the front door) so it can be directed other places. I too wonder how much contamination would reduce output by say 50% (significant).

Anyone try fuel filters inline? Since there is no real way to know, seems like a logical approach in addition to a cover when not in use.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Boston , Massachusetts
Guys, this is really helpful information. Thanks very much!
HermitCrab is offline   Reply With Quote