Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Protests in Seattle and HURINE

I don't know if the May Day protests (riots) in Seattle made national news but there was lots of destructive vandalism and violence. At one point the SPD started using HURINE instead of pepper spray and the crowd turned peaceful almost immedietly. I will continue to use large, tense crowd situations (maybe even rock concerts) to assess product capabilities.Test results wiii be provided with your prospectus.

I just had to take this to 100 posts to even things out.

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
We encountered another hazard of camping in bear country a few days ago. We were headed up US 53 in northern Wisconsin. (At that point US 53 is a four lane divided highway.)

We were in the right lane and a car was just ahead of us in the left lane. Suddenly the car slammed on his brakes in a full panic stop. Not knowing what was going on I started to brake. Just then a big black bear ran full-tilt across the road from left to right in front of both of us. One of those times it would be nice to have anti-lock brakes on the trailer!

We all came out of it OK but it was a close call. It was a big black bear, right fat and sassy, and obviously in good shape, because boy, could he run! Hitting him would have been very traumatic for all concerned.

I almost wonder whether he was somebody's pet, as wild bears are not ordinarily fat this time of year.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Nuvite, Glad you are OK. My neighbor just hit a big buck mule deer and it destroyed the front of his pickup.It is funny the bear was so fat.

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I almost wonder whether he was somebody's pet, as wild bears are not ordinarily fat this time of year.
Yikes! Glad you're okay!

Sounds like a bear who was being fed, rather than doing the usual foraging thing bears do. May have been in garbage, or at a feeding station somewhere.

Also, it's been a very mild winter everywhere, and bears left their dens unusually early.

Who knows what delightful delicacies that bear has found to make him so chubby.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #105
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Nuvi, glad you are ok. Seems like that bear was asking for a beer and to be your first BURINE producer.

Now that the mods have closed down the "Sex in an Airstream" thread, we have to be sophomoric here.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Nuvi, glad you are ok. Seems like that bear was asking for a beer and to be your first BURINE producer.

Now that the mods have closed down the "Sex in an Airstream" thread, we have to be sophomoric here.

Gene
As long as you don't start asking us to bear the fact that you are baring it all for us.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
As long as you don't start asking us to bear the fact that you are baring it all for us.
Better to be baring than boring.

Gene
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Don't get me started. I had a rough day yesterday.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #109
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Now that the mods have closed down the "Sex in an Airstream" thread, we have to be sophomoric here."

Be careful...."Obscenity is whatever gives the Judge an ........."

Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tent Camping in Alaska Bear Country Indeed!

CAMPING IN ALASKA

If you haven’t seen this, it makes me want to pack and head North! The text is intended to accompany the photographs. I hope that the photo attachments do make it.

The following story:

Polar Bear Attack in the High Arctic ...
This is from up in the North West Territory, where this chap is lucky to be alive.

The guy survived the bear attack. The bear jumped on him while he was sleeping in his tent and he managed to get it off of him and shoot it.

One tough camper!

This is unbelievable. It hurts just to look at it.

This is called a see-through foot.

Polar bears are the top predator on the North American continent. You are on the menu in bear country.

KIND OF MAKES YA WANT TO STAY AT HOME AND NOT GO CAMPING IN ALASKA.

THIS IS ONE REASON MANY PEOPLE IN ALASKA CARRY A FIREARM.

MAN, THOSE ALASKANS ARE A TOUGH LOT !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0033.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	157983   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0044.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	157984  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0066.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	157985   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	157986  

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And why is one camping in a tent up there where there are polar bears and grizzly bears!!!

Maggie
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
And why was I reading that thread while I was half-way through my lunch? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Wow. Amazing he lived through that.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #114
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We tent camped at the south end of the Brooks Range in 2002. There's a BLM campground just north of Coldfoot at Marion Creek. It even had a host. I asked the host what animal left the gigantic footprint behind where we had pitched the tent and he said it was a moose. We were too far south for polar bears.

I think I'll wait a while for lunch after seeing the see-through ankle. Looks like his achilles tendon survived.

By the way, the Northwest Terr. are in Canada, not Alaska, but it is all the same type of land.

Gene
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
And why is one camping in a tent up there where there are polar bears and grizzly bears!!!

Maggie
They are tent camping for two reasons:

(1) The Airstream was being used by the kids for two weeks for Prom Weeks

(2) The igloo had melted earlier than expected and the kids could not be reached by cell phone. You know... the dinosaur methane that has been discussed in the national news for Global Warming.

(3) And as everyone tells you... You have nothing to fear about bears. They have plenty of food to eat. Set the tent up in any convenient spot.

Just adding a few lighter moments. I think I had seen these photographs three years ago from friends who know we spend a lot of time camping in the woods. Obviously here, they are in the Tundra and maybe a few bushes here and there once the snow melts.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
And in another light moment. I might use this in my advertizing campaign.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Get Back to What you Always Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
And in another light moment. I might use this in my advertizing campaign.
I hope it is not a Chucky Cheeze ad...

As gruesome as those photographs are, and the injuries this person suffered and overcame, I would imagine he does what I would do when something happens to you, least expected and affects your inner emotional spirit. Goes back to what he has always done. Ex-military have my respect who have been put in situations that could numb the heart and minds of most of us. When back, they have to make light of the terrible sights in order to forget and then lay it to rest.

Those of you who are Viet Nam veterans, understand. I am sure those from the Middle East also understand what this person attacked by a bear has to do to recover, mentally, after the physical healing has been completed.

I would have liked to hear from this victim, after the healing and how he recovered and looks back at the situation. But, like many survivors, it may not be important any more. Just be thankful that you were not holding a can of mace in your hand, but a rifle or pistol.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
A couple of years ago we tent-camped between Yellowstone and Tetons, and were a bit concerned about bears. Didn't ever see any sign of them in the campground, but we were followed by a young grizzly for a bit while we were hiking. It disappeared shortly after we got some pictures and a bit more exercise than planned.

We did hear an interesting story about a young lady who had a summer job in a campground store. A lady came in, asking for bear spray. The young lady showed her what the store had available, and the customer asked if one can would be sufficient for her, her husband, and their two children, or whether she needed two cans. Upon further questioning, it seems that the customer thought that one sprayed the bear spray on themselves, much like mosquito/bug spray.

Given that most of the insect "repellant" that I've used seems to attract the little critters, I wonder of bear spray does the same.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this thread, including the humor in the last couple of dozen posts. We had thought about going out to the Tetons again this summer, this time in the mpg, but plans have changed. I'm thinking that the next time I'm out there I want some metal between me and the bears!
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
You are more likely to die in a terrible, horrible, fiery highway trailer wreck than being killed or even hurt by a bear. Everyone should get their brian facts and statistics yearly aligned with true facts and statistics.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
You are more likely to die in a terrible, horrible, fiery highway trailer wreck than being killed or even hurt by a bear. Everyone should get their brian facts and statistics yearly aligned with true facts and statistics.
Yup!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote