Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Cade's Cove

Has anyone been to Cades Cove park in Tennessee? Please advise if you have. Traveling there from NC early August and we'd love to hear any feedback or planning suggestions. We have 2 weeks total.
Thank you in advance!! [emoji4]
pollymenaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Been there. Never camped.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Been there and camped several times.

It is a beautiful area and park, and worth your time.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
It's a lovely area. Great for hiking, biking, and fishing the local streams. In the park a NC fishing license is good. No hook ups, but flush toilets with no showers. It is isolated, but the camp store has a limited selection of convenience items. I love Cades Cove.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Cades Cove

Just be aware you are in the area of the destructive Gatlinburg fires. While it didn't burn Cades Cove area there is extensive damage to the surrounding areas. I live an 1.5 hours from there and was in Gatlinburg area a couple of weeks ago and massive clean up was underway. Check to see what camping is available and you will probably want to reserve your space early. Great Smokey Mountains NP is the most visited park in the country. It is that for a reason.
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Open Road , USA
I have gone through there for day trips to bike ride. Very beautiful. Lots of bears though!
chelseykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Was there for 5 days last summer. Very enjoyable.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I spent several days there last summer. Impulse stop. I was just driving thru to check it out and decided to stay. Got lucky and got a good spot. As posted no services, only basic out house and it is a bit isolated. A vey relaxed and laid back crowd was in residence at the time I was there. Beautiful area as is all of the Smokies.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymenaker View Post
Has anyone been to Cades Cove park in Tennessee? Please advise if you have. Traveling there from NC early August and we'd love to hear any feedback or planning suggestions. We have 2 weeks total.
I have been there many times to view the wildlife. Though I have only driven through the campground a few times, not stayed a night.
If your intent is to see the elk, in August they will have left for the high country where the temperatures are cooler. I doubt you will see one there. Afternoon high temperatures in August can be near 85.
In Cades Cove Campground some sites do not allow generators. If you do not have solar charging, make sure to get a site that allows generator use.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymenaker View Post
Yes, but it's been 20 years. As I recall, It's very remote, at that time we had a tent. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been. Unhook, and take the 11 mile (one way) loop road. Stunning.
I recommend you do it very early. (It gets too crowded with tourists by 9am) We took it at 5am. Stopped at the cross road (shortcut), walked into the forest with coffee and cereal, sat on a log and just soaked up the nature. Soon, a deer walked within 10' of us. Fearless. We said hello.
Later, while walking a trail to see a settler's cabin, a bear crossed the trail about 15' in front of me. I froze, he ran, I think I scared him as much as he scared me. My most vivid memory is how big his feet were!
The lowlight was every evening at dusk our campsite was overrun by skunks. maybe 25. Night one we sat on the picnic table. By night three we decided to stand our ground and sit normally. Do you know how strange it is to eat while skunks are stepping on your feet as they go through?
People from neighboring sites were throwing things at them. The skunks were unfazed. They'd duck behind a tree, then continue to tug on trash bags. Nobody got sprayed.
I'd go back in a heartbeat. The road in was two lane and narrow, with a lot of gentle up and down, as I recall. You're driving through a forest.
IMO, the most beautiful part of the Smokies.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Also keep in mind the loop road closes, I believe, Wednesday and Saturday AM, to vehicle traffic.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote