Old 10-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Cabinets coming loose while Boondocking

Nancy found a Thread under Airstream Restoration- the General Repair Forum- Those Damn European Hinges (PatLee 09-20-2019). This was BEFORE leaving for a rough and tumble rock hunting trip. Great timing.

I had swore to myself that I was going to avoid posting on the Airforums for a longer period of time, BUT this thread had a very interesting post.

Az-Stream, Post #4 had the most simple and inexpensive method to secure the hinges from disassembling while towing an Airstream. Probably ALL Travel Trailers... but lets keep it down to OUR Airstreams.

The permanent method is to go to Piano Hinges. They have been 100% effective holding the doors onto the cabinets as hinges. I know, I did it. The 2006 Safari and the 2014 International.

But... after reading az-streamer's post, with photo... it was so simple, so off the wall... I tried the idea and went on a Off the Grid Boondocking trip to New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.

This inexpensive method... works. I used TWO straps on those hinges I could. Most with one zip tie was only possible. Some... NONE as it was flush on the ends and I will watch them for future application of zip ties, if needed.

The Zip Tied secured hinges may also prevent the wood screws from becoming loose as well. A real Win / Win for everyone.

I have been using Piano Hinges since owning the 2006 and 2014. The new 2019 27 footer was immediately retrofitted with ZIP TIES... and they seem to be very effective. This was our first trip with the new trailer.

Az-streamer... after YEARS on this Forum... this had been a common issue for myself and many others, no doubt. I hope this will solve the hinge issues for some of us who vibrate our cabinets, without Mercy.

Some on the Thread confuse loose 'other bolts and screws' and that is another thread. I have lots of hinges as examples of what come loose and the tiniest screws actually hold the hinges together.

I tightened the zip tie using a pair of pliers to snug it up, tugging on the loose end, just enough not to break the nylon, and left about a half inch cutting the excess. Snug them tight... I actually broke one, but my zip ties are years old and I will get fresh ones soon.

Several followup threads since then were also on track. GREAT SIMPLE CURE... we hope.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Will have to try this, thanks! Not really clear on how the zip ties should be installed, but assuming they are just wrapped around the hinge real tight.

Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The day we bought out first AS (19 ft. Bambi) we drove down a graded dirt road and the pantry door fell off.

Airstream used little screws on a big heavy door. easy fix. Too bad they didn't think of that at the factory.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Nancy found a Thread under Airstream Restoration- the General Repair Forum- Those Damn European Hinges (PatLee 09-20-2019). This was BEFORE leaving for a rough and tumble rock hunting trip. Great timing.

I had swore to myself that I was going to avoid posting on the Airforums for a longer period of time, BUT this thread had a very interesting post.

Az-Stream, Post #4 had the most simple and inexpensive method to secure the hinges from disassembling while towing an Airstream. Probably ALL Travel Trailers... but lets keep it down to OUR Airstreams.

The permanent method is to go to Piano Hinges. They have been 100% effective holding the doors onto the cabinets as hinges. I know, I did it. The 2006 Safari and the 2014 International.

But... after reading az-streamer's post, with photo... it was so simple, so off the wall... I tried the idea and went on a Off the Grid Boondocking trip to New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.

This inexpensive method... works. I used TWO straps on those hinges I could. Most with one zip tie was only possible. Some... NONE as it was flush on the ends and I will watch them for future application of zip ties, if needed.

The Zip Tied secured hinges may also prevent the wood screws from becoming loose as well. A real Win / Win for everyone.

I have been using Piano Hinges since owning the 2006 and 2014. The new 2019 27 footer was immediately retrofitted with ZIP TIES... and they seem to be very effective. This was our first trip with the new trailer.

Az-streamer... after YEARS on this Forum... this had been a common issue for myself and many others, no doubt. I hope this will solve the hinge issues for some of us who vibrate our cabinets, without Mercy.

Some on the Thread confuse loose 'other bolts and screws' and that is another thread. I have lots of hinges as examples of what come loose and the tiniest screws actually hold the hinges together.

I tightened the zip tie using a pair of pliers to snug it up, tugging on the loose end, just enough not to break the nylon, and left about a half inch cutting the excess. Snug them tight... I actually broke one, but my zip ties are years old and I will get fresh ones soon.

Several followup threads since then were also on track. GREAT SIMPLE CURE... we hope.
These work. https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/gr...SABEgJiDfD_BwE
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
I use bungee cords. Quick, easy and cheap.
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
South Bend , Indiana
Jackson Center has a solution

I had this issue with my 2017 FC and found out that dealers have clips that do the same thing but that many do not bother to install them. Jackson Center sent some out to me and now I no longer have doors falling off. I recommend to those with under warranty units to contact JC about this issue.
Eric

Randonneur is offline   Reply With Quote