Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Hi,

The offer is in. Pretty excited. Think it's going to happen.

Even went so far as to try and mock-up what sort of campground I might be able to pull off to keep my mind occupied.

If you have experience making your own campgrounds or have visited a few private campgrounds, I would love to get your take on my ideas.

It's 5 pages of mostly photos. Very easy to understand. All constructive feedback welcome.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a little obsessed with "Airstream Parking."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Parking Only.pdf (1.62 MB, 81 views)

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:22 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds exciting, right down the way from the quonset hut airbnb place and a airstream renovator in town too. Hope it goes thru for you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
[QUOTE=AirParkOnly;2494425]Thanks Bob for the thoughts and everyone else for the well-wishes (no pun intended).
I learned yesterday the well was dug to over 600 feet and is encased to 492 feet with no water. You are right about the water. To get BUILDING PERMITS you need some level of flow, but there is no specific regulation preventing you from having a storage tank or hauled water that I have found. I am still looking into it with a local general contractor that I have been in contact with for over a year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having dealt with wells for most of my life, when we bought our land in the Texas Hill Country, we opted for rainwater collection. Once you get the whole shebang (tanks, filters, UV and pump), I've found it to be less of a problem than well water. On our well system at our other place I've had to put in magnesium, sulphur, iron and arsenic filtration. I drew the line at UV or ozone as well as a water softener but I probably should have used those too. We replace shower heads every year or two.

Rainwater is naturally soft and pure. The filtration is for filtering out the stuff that comes off the roof first.

I am, of course, assuming that you are going to build an RV shed to start with. I suppose it would be possible to rig up a tarp collection system (as I've done when cruising on sailboats) but that's a whole 'nother can of critters.
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #124
Rivet Master

AirParkOnly,

I'd like to make the suggestion of increasing the size of the deck in your plans from 20" wide to 20' wide, and the length from 35" long to 35' long. If not, you'll only have room to place a foldout chair on it.

Looks good, for the propane tank, they do make ones that can be placed in the ground, out of sight, out of mind.

Enjoy,
Old 05-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. It means a lot to me. I hit the "Thanks" button on your posts but thought I would also just say it here in case those get missed.

I don't want to spam you with every little edit/update, but suffice to say I have made adjustments to the deck design and requirements.

I have also started a project budget worksheet with the goal to help me understand both the priority and the material choices better.

For example, an underground vs above-ground propane tank that is painted or covered in camo netting or both.

Some of this I want to try and do myself, but the vast majority I am going to go get professional help as I am not a very handy person (but am learning as I go.)

Counter-offer is coming in writing first thing this morning I am told. If it is what we verbally agreed to, I am going to sign it.

I think I am a bit anxious. I keep giving myself busy working around this whole idea whilst things are out of my control such as writing Hipcamp descriptions, making budget spreadsheets, and gathering more visual inspiration/mood boards.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #126
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You may want to do some careful research on the propane tank. Things may vary state to state. At least where I've lived, the above ground tank has made the most sense cost and upkeep wise. Put a pretty fence in and you'll never notice it

I would definitely include some sort of concrete block "shed" in the plan. There will always be "stuff" to keep in it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
You may want to do some careful research on the propane tank.
Absolutely. Lots of research and then I go to my general contractor who builds a lot of the vacation properties in this area before the wallet comes out.

Thank you!

Old 05-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Counter-Offer accepted and signed by all parties.

I need to get through Escrow and such, but it finally happened. I bought my own boondocking land. Finally.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Congratulations . . . well done!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #130
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Fantastic news and I am following every step!
Old 05-18-2021, 05:07 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
Hi all. Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. It means a lot to me. I hit the "Thanks" button on your posts but thought I would also just say it here in case those get missed.

I don't want to spam you with every little edit/update, but suffice to say I have made adjustments to the deck design and requirements.

I have also started a project budget worksheet with the goal to help me understand both the priority and the material choices better.

For example, an underground vs above-ground propane tank that is painted or covered in camo netting or both.

Some of this I want to try and do myself, but the vast majority I am going to go get professional help as I am not a very handy person (but am learning as I go.)

Counter-offer is coming in writing first thing this morning I am told. If it is what we verbally agreed to, I am going to sign it.

I think I am a bit anxious. I keep giving myself busy working around this whole idea whilst things are out of my control such as writing Hipcamp descriptions, making budget spreadsheets, and gathering more visual inspiration/mood boards.
This is exciting. And as for your anxiety, I think it is good for us to have that for time to time. Don't forget, it is excitement too! Chronic and it becomes a bad thing. It sounds like you are very organized and business-like in your planning. I bet you will learn a lot and have fun doing it! And here, you will get lots of advice. You're not alone! Haha, you may wish you were Good luck and keep us posted! I'm excited too, living vicariously I guess.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Counter-Offer accepted and signed by all parties.

I need to get through Escrow and such, but it finally happened. I bought my own boondocking land. Finally.
This is awesome! Congrats!

Someone mentioned above that this thread had gone dormant for a while, yes, but it has lots of bumps now. I am the OP on this one, and I would *love* for additional people to post about their own boondocking land buying experiences.

Land. It's precious. They aren't making any more of it. Even if there are difficulties to be overcome on a property, a well-researched purchasing decision is probably going to be a good investment.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #133
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Just a quick update. We have finally started development. Not much is done yet. Just the initial fencing to keep OHV vehicles from tearing things up and some No Trespassing signs to make sure people know this area is under new ownership.

We have a bit of a way to go before we get our "pull-through" Airstream Parking Only spot set up and level for a 27' Globetrotter.

In the meantime, smaller/lighter set-ups are just fine. I took my teardrop up and parked overnight to meet with the contractor and finalize some next steps.

The irony of not being able to park my Aistream and only my teardrop is not lost on me. I made a short video for fun.

It's unlisted, but that just means you need the above link to see it.

I would really like other like-minded people to be able to use and enjoy the land. I have not listed this on Hipcamp or anything like that just yet. Just playing with the idea.

I think what would be really cool is to ask that people make a small donation to the Mojave Desert Land Trust (which is our neighbor and why this lot is so special in the first place).

For example the cost of admission is cool pictures of you doing some "Airstream Parking" and a receipt of your tax-deductible donation to the MDLT.

You get the idea...

Old 07-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Just a quick update. We have finally started development. Not much is done yet. Just the initial fencing to keep OHV vehicles from tearing things up and some No Trespassing signs to make sure people know this area is under new ownership.

We have a bit of a way to go before we get our "pull-through" Airstream Parking Only spot set up and level for a 27' Globetrotter.

In the meantime, smaller/lighter set-ups are just fine. I took my teardrop up and parked overnight to meet with the contractor and finalize some next steps.

The irony of not being able to park my Aistream and only my teardrop is not lost on me. I made a short video for fun.

It's unlisted, but that just means you need the above link to see it.

I would really like other like-minded people to be able to use and enjoy the land. I have not listed this on Hipcamp or anything like that just yet. Just playing with the idea.

I think what would be really cool is to ask that people make a small donation to the Mojave Desert Land Trust (which is our neighbor and why this lot is so special in the first place).

For example the cost of admission is cool pictures of you doing some "Airstream Parking" and a receipt of your tax-deductible donation to the MDLT.

You get the idea...

We used to go boondocking quite a bit in Borrego Springs just outside town off Rocksprings road...bikers and dune buggies across the highway...it was nice on that side. Last year someone purchased and made it off limits to boondocking out there...sad to drive out from TX last January to find this change....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Airpark only,

It sounds like a nice concept. You won't be hurting for potential clients when you get more established. We would certainly consider that as a overnight spot and donate.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
AirParkOnly- Nice Utube video of your land and tear drop. We would love to camp there and help support the desert trust fund. I like what you are doing.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:00 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Love love love. Well done video. can't wait to visit, one of these days!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
AirParkOnly- Nice Utube video of your land and tear drop. We would love to camp there and help support the desert trust fund. I like what you are doing.
I'll post updates. I got a major milestone accomplished this week!

These photos are not the best quality (just from my contractor's ancient phone) but PROGRESS!

The main "parking area" has been filled in and leveled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	399032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	399033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2453.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	399034  

Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I'll post updates. I got a major milestone accomplished this week!

These photos are not the best quality (just from my contractor's ancient phone) but PROGRESS!

The main "parking area" has been filled in and leveled out.
Nice pics...not far from Borrego. Love the desert!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
I just got off the phone with the Mojave Desert Land Trust who informed me that all this land next to me on two sides is being conveyed to the national park system and will become part of Joshua Tree National Park over the next two years.

Wow, did I get lucky. I hope I can find well water or this news will convince the Joshua Tree Water Basin to service the area better.