Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
BUY What You DO NOT NEED- Tow Vehicle & Trailer

BUYING right is when you SAVE MONEY.

Buying what you DO NOT NEED will save you MORE money.

For Boondockers who like to find a Good BUY, when you did not plan on it:

- We bought a NEW 2019 International Airstream when ALL NEW 2020's were hidden off the lot. Wanted a NEW 25 foot 2020 Flying Cloud.

- We bought a NEW 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 when the NEW 2017 F250 gassers were on the Lot and the Ford Dealer. Had a Tundra 4x4 Crew Max for trade, towing a 25 foot Airstream previously.

The Tundra 4x4 was excellent, although a bit light for the 25 foot Airstream we... wanted. Towed the 23 foot without issues. The extra two feet caused the back of the Tundra go flatten the leaf springs.

There were NO F250's on the Ford Lot we wanted. Those we saw were for white trucks for Construction and stripped down to minimums. Six and Eight Cylinder gassers. Did not want the Six Cylinder turbo. We did not say we needed to tow. I just LIKED 3/4 Ton trucks, that day.

The Ford Dealer found, somewhere, as I did not see it on the lot... a New 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel that was maroon (my favorite color, Silver a second). A King Ranch. They wanted to SELL it as the 2020's were coming. Moaning and groaning, almost walking away twice... we haggled on the Ford, got a great deal on the Tundra with topper (4x4) and had heavy duty floor mats and a mat for the back of the pickup's bed. We... cried all the way to the Bank.

Airstream was getting NEW 2020's. They were being stored behind the gates and you could not see, touch, smell or even get close to one. BUT... there were unsold NEW 2019's on the lot and ready to MOVE THEM. I wanted a Flying Cloud 25 foot. NONE on the lot, all had been sold. But... 27 foot and longer models were on the lot... still all 2019's.

There were plenty of 27 foot Internationals 2019's. Finding ONE after checking it out from a creeper underneath to a ladder to the roof and Nancy going through the interior... we found ONE without any issue. We added a 3 inch Lift Kit, an Equalizer Hitch, Two 80 watt Solar Panels, Two AGM Batteries.

On Delivery Day... the Dealer had the Airstream filled with water. All plumbing checked out. AC was excellent. Hot water tank, Dometic Refer... did a 100% walk through... and the only thing I spotted was wire for the Solar Panels that needed to be secured and done immediately.

We asked if we could CHARGE the entire cost. No, but they gave us a maximum. We charged it to get 3% back from our card holder and wrote the check... hooked up to the F350 and took it home.

No SAG with the Equalizer, F350 and 27 foot International. Loaded or unloaded. It gets a Wyoming.... Yaaaaaaah Hooooo and kicking Cow Patty all over Town.

Added a portable Costco 100watt Solar Panel for $99 with the savings in TAXES.

1- We did not want a F350 Diesel. Fantastic vehicle and I drove Tundras since 2006.

2- We did not want a 27 foot International. Fantastic trailer and the extra cabinet space and two Air Conditioners is a good resale feature.

3- Nancy made cushion covers that can be removed when we sell... fat chance that is going to happen. No more on this style and it has all of the OLD appliances which we can fix and know how to use. Other than the Awning... but it has worked out, as well.

4- I did not want a Heeler Pup, either. The seller did not want to deal. We paid him what he wanted. Best Pup one could find for the next 15 to 20 years.

WHAT IS YOUR STORY? OTHERS FIND GETTING WHAT YOU ...do not want... INTERESTING.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0381.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	397352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0373.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	397353  

Name:	DSCN0182.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	397354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0058.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	397355  

Name:	DSCN0060.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	397356  
Old 06-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I DO NOT WANT... A CABN... no way, no how

... working on that at the present time. This is going to be tough.

Appears that I will have to wait until the Real Estate Market collapses to pick up a nice place at a good price.

But looking.... poor Real Estate Agent. Nancy is tougher on Real Estate. I like my toys... she gets hers.

We have NOT DECIDED if I will be the Bad Guy, or Nancy the Bad Woman. One way or the other... she probably is meaner, badder and can work out complicated financial transactions in her head. Although I am the one who picks up any loose coins I see and can find them in places that everyone misses... like on the floor.

Some need to be washed. I cannot figure out if it is real or a slug at times.

Myself... transactions need to be on paper or written on my hand.

Call it happy, happy and two Blue Heelers happy.

Anyone BRAVE enough to expose your weaknesses? I have plenty more... buy why spoil the fun all this year.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Opus Off Road Camper- 15 foot

On our last Boondocking trip we discovered an Opus Off Road Camper next to us in the parking lot of a Service Station in southern Idaho.

Before we could get a better look and speak with the owners... they were gone. It look impressive and had TWO Spare Tires on the back.

Nancy found this while searching the Internet...: www.opuscamper.us/op15/?utm_source=RVLLIFE

Camperreport.com/opus-off-road-camper/

($53,800 is the Listed Price for 2022) 6,600 pounds

There ARE some options for those who want a Off the Grid trailer and not expose their Airstream to these roads and unexpected conditions encountered every day when exploring.

I give this for the curious. We may be going to a Dealer to... look, soon. Although, "Buy What You Do Not Need" should not be an issue. We enjoy our 'tricked out' Airstream.

How did we know this was a Serious Off the Grid Camper? The 16 inch wheels said a lot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4055-1024x768.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	397362  
Old 06-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
25 or 27 foot version please….
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Get TWO for the Price of ONE for 30 feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
25 or 27 foot version please….
I also found that Oliver is rated #1 when trying to figure out what the Opus was.

The Price is: Pre-Order BASE Price of $53,800.

I am anxious to look. I found a quarter at the Car Wash... as a down payment.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Same answer, as above, not giving up the living space of our 27. Now if I could get that in a real 4 season built to the same or better level with lots of windows etc.

I’d have to look. We are very happy with our Airstream so see no need to change.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Oliver 25 Foot has... some positive features... too

JonDNC and I are in total agreement.

I like the suspension on this Opus. I would like to see Airstream develop a better Suspension and work it into the Frame and Body so it does not look like a trailer being hauled on a Flat Bed. I did see an older Airstream Shell mounted behind a tractor trailer last week. Looked real nice. Not for Off the Grid Boondocking as it was taller than the Truck Cab.

The 'smart money' would be on the Olivers. Double Axle. Fiber glass is easy to repair. The interior I saw for ten minutes at a Off the Grid site in Colorado was appealing to MY kind of use. I would like to get to look several hours at an Oliver. Just hard to find any since the production is limited.

The only Oliver I found parked was south of Ouray, Colorado at an Off the Grid campsite I have mentioned on the Forum several times.

An Airstream has a number of positive features. Off hand:

- Name recognition.
- The exterior is attractive.
- The models are made in sufficient numbers to be widespread for others to see.
- I have been able to improve the interior with different screws and hardware.
- The appliances I have found to be reliable and easy to find parts when not...
- There is a SIZE to fit most anyone's need and can UPSIZE on a future choice.
- Value after three years on late models is solid and even some models after more years.

I would like windows to be double pane like a home with the same tempered glass. When it is 25F the COLD is obvious. The interior metal also is not All Season, as we all know.

When I am brave, I will ask my wife to drive and I want to sit in the trailer while on an Interstate. She said it rode HARD and no wonder screws and things detach. Maybe someone else can explain their observation as an Airstream in Tow Experience.

I would expect a SOB with leaf springs too ride much better and not decompose on long drives. Anyone with that experience?

The 2019 27 foot current International has held up very well, other than the upper hinge of the Door coming loose in Colorado last year. No excuse for that happening. I recovered the bracket that fell between the Wall and Floor at the Service Station we spent the night to figure out how to secure the door to the Frame. I did figure it out and the Service Tech at Airstream seemed to be confident it would... NOT happen again by double nutting.

The biggest problem to many buyers is the Airstream is not a CAR. A trailer has to be maintained as things vibrate apart every time it moves, even if you drive only Highways, compared to our Back Road Adventures. It just does. Eventually, after the first year you should have it figured out. We upgrade ours the first Month of ownership.

The same stuff had the same issues in 2006 coming apart.

Well... had dinner. Time to play with. Our daily evening Pinochle game is getting close at hand and I am 19 games behind at home and I am 8 games ahead on the road. So... a few more weeks on the road it will be 25 games up for me... maybe.

I would ONLY Purchase a Double Axle Airstream. Oliver has only two lengths and both are double axles. I also believe the Oliver has 16 inch wheels.

I am like Jon. He also picked not too small, not too long Airstream. That was our compromise to another 25 foot International.

We are super satisfied with our 2019 27 foot International. Nancy says she will not let me sell this one... ever. With the US Dollar in... flux... I want assets in the garage, not hot air and trash cans. An Airstream... $$$$. A Toyota Land Cruiser $$$$. A Ford F350 Diesel $$$$. We will all get through this very well if you can HANG onto the Airstream and Tow Vehicle. It is a home on wheels if necessary,
Old 06-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello Human Bean: Interesting post as most of yours are. It has a nice personal touch. I think we have all been "upgraded" when shopping for what we really wanted. I'm happy you folks are happy with your International 27'. We have an International 27' also and find it to be a comfortable size. But it is 43 years older than yours. You know yours will last a very long time.

You can always upgrade some more to 16" wheels and load range E tires. You could get an even rougher ride. You should invent an accelerometer that sticks to the countertop in the trailer and sends data to your smartphone. Then you would know how severe the vibrations are back there. Especially on selected Colorado interstates and bridge abutments.

Stay happy,

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1907 Curb-800x600.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	397374  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We bought our '16 Flying Cloud 25 footer in Jersey. We sold it a couple years later for what we paid for it new.

We had 5 footitus, which led us to our current '19 International 30.

I started with the F150 3.5 ecoboost towing that Flying Cloud. I love that engine. Torque, power, good gas mileage for a truck. But I knew we'd be getting a larger trailer, and traded that in for the '17 F250 we now have.

Did I mention it's really a bonus to know one of the sales managers at the local Ford Dealership? They gave me an awesome trade on my F150.

See, I'm one of those meticulous guys. And when my trucks come on the market, the pro's start to salivate

Anyway, yeah, some bumps in the road with the new Airstream over the past couple years, I think I've made 2, maybe 3 trips to Jackson Center for some warranty work. I expect that now. I would advise anyone making a new purchase to expect the same.

I just waxed the whole thing. Sides, front, back, roof, all of it. I'm retired and had the time. Man does it look good.

We've been up and down the East Coast, all over the place. ME, NY, PA, VA, KY, NC, SC, FL, all sorts of little places unknown to most. Places like the 'Lost Children of the Alleghenies' and Lums Pond, and the Nada Tunnel, and well, just a LONG list of out of the way spots, and some better known ones too!

Anyway, great post! I really like reading it all. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210612_161352.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	397375  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
ALL Airstreams Ride Like Armored Vehicles! 14, 15 or 16" tires

David... hate to break the news to you. The 14 inch C rated 2006 tires were the thinnest and most flexible tires to be considered to be road worthy on a kid's wagon. Still popped rivets, cabinet hinges falling off and the usual.

I enjoyed the fantasic tire Blow Out (shown on this Forum in color), multiple flat tires from a bean laying in the road and the tread on the 14 inch Marathons were like inflated garbage bags that fit the wheel.

You must be a great Lover and Dancer, as well, and smart too! Keep that attitude and keep posting! Smart Human Beans are scarce. Bacon and Beans are everywhere and still cannot tie their shoes.

Our 25 and current 27 HAVE 16 inch E Rated Michelins as the first thing to do now.... NOT ONE COMPLAINT. If thought they were causing anything out of the ordinary, I am not bashful. Am I? The $100,000 Airstreams... they use 16 inch Michelins as stock. Yep they do. You will forget how to change a flat tire. I forget where I am, sometimes. Always a trade off after watching the News,

Had the dealer install the 3 inch Dexter Lift Kit and I sold the 15 inch wheels and 'upgraded' to 16 inch with Michelin LT tires.

Did that with the 25 foot, loved the 16 inch wheels. The tires will ROT OUT before they show any wear. Never had a flat tire... toes crossed.

When I go to sell and point out the ...upgrades... I get more money and I tell them to look at other Airstreams that are for sale in comparison. Although 15 inch tires are much better than the stock 14 inch on the 2006 23 footer. What a disaster those were for 8 years!
Old 06-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Majorairhead... hit 30 feet... rung the Bell wins a free hat

Majorairhead... you have started your "I Have Been Everywhere, Man"... traveling. Somewhere on this Forum... the song was posted. You need to get into the W's. Wyoming, Wisconsin and Winnipeg...

The Airstream Dealer had TWO 2019 International 27 footers on the lot. We looked it over top to bottom. We looked the other, that we purchased top to bottom

The salesman said the price he quoted was for 'that other one'. Identical in every way, he says.

Well... NOT identical in every way to Nancy inspecting the Interior and my all over the exterior. I will not disclose what we found on the 'other' in the even someone on this Forum bought it and... well, you know, not happier than US.

I like it when I do not have to pontificate and other Airstream Owners are stepping forward.

Unlike a University Geology Professor trying to convince the students, like myself, that working as a Geologist on a 120 foot derrick Drilling Rig, in Wyoming, in January is a honest and honorable job for a young something or other. Temperature 14F and wind at 45mph, sleeping in an antique trailer, no insulation and the door freezes shut if it snows.

Of course a Neanderthal can handle Frost Bite... but not while eating frozen cans of Campbell's soup as you cannot have a flame next to a drilling rig for Oil and Gas. Although perfectly fine for the driller to have a torch to keep his pants from freezing stiff and cannot bend down to find his glasses with all the vibrations of the tons of metal overhead... and a frozen mist clinging... well... I wander. I Love our Airstream. The End.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

If you have to ask... you need to go home and figure it out:

- Where do you Live and plan to go?
- Where do you plan to go if you leave your own City Limits?
- Why buy a trailer in the first place? Hotels are everywhere. Even Wyoming.
- Hotels, motels and under bridges are still popular. Buy a Tent.
- Mountains? Flat lander? Paved roads to Parks? Do you have tires?
- Did you attend school and listened or had the paddle/ruler swatting?
- Did you inherit money and did not have to work like the 90% of us?
- Have you ever camped in your back yard?
- Did you get lost camping in your back yard, camping overnight?
- Are you afraid of the dark, no street lights, flashlight or Police protection?
- Did you start a camp fire, and then a grass fire, and then a....? Home?
- Are you afraid of mice, rats, cats, chickens, opossum, skunk, snakes...?
- Do you use the outdoors to poop and pee or a bucket or a Johnny on the Spot?
- Johnny Spot is your neighbor... this is the little house at a work site, to read.
- Do you know which end of a shovel is the working end? Ask your wife, then.
- ...ask your wife again and she will give you a lump on your thick skull.

- I was planning a 100 Marathon List for things to Do and what I Need... whatever. Will my Honda Civic pull a 27 foot Airstream if I install better rear shocks? Go away and leave us alone.

Please help. Airstreams have a hollow space as an interior to live well. Some owners have a bone for a skull and an empty space inside to store... sports memorabilia?

- Lets start talking tools to FIX your Airstream. Start with a Phillips screw driver. Ask your wife how to operate it. Do not poke yourself in the eye. Some battery powered options are better and more useful. They unscrew and screw with pressure on the 'trigger'. Trigger... like the horse? No, like a Glock or Winchester. Ask your wife. They are smart and listen. I know. My head lumps are feeling better.

I have a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Interested? No checks or credit cards, please.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
I've had a 25 ft Airstream & a 25 ft Bigfoot. Bigfoot wins hands down. The only reason we sold the Bigfoot was to go to a small toy hauler. Decided we can't travel without the HD.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
MickeyC: Quote of the Day: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

My wife tells me that all the time. She tells me in every language, but English. I speak Neander. I type in plain old Oklahoman.

My relatives were last found on the western cliffs of Spain, over looking the Atlantic Ocean. Nice views.

If we were to count the number of SOB Trailers on the road and Airstreams on the Road... the numbers do not add up? Airstreams are like finding a chipmunk in your pants and thinking it was your... empty wallet.

Just thinking out loud...or typing out loud without restraints of IQ.

Where are all these Airstreams? Much like Where Have All the Flowers Gone? All to Graveyards, Every One... Peter, Paul and Mary. They did not own an Airstream.

That beer or soda can... that is where that Airstream has... gone. Real thin aluminum, too. No insulation as well. Hmmmm. There I go humming again.

Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Young girls have picked them every one
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone for husbands every one

Substitute Airstream for Flowers, Girls, Husbands...

There are some sharp people out there following the Forum. I happen to be an exception. Big Foot and Athletes do not get along, do they? Most owners cannot sing, nor play a guitar, either. Mandolin... yes. Only those from Canada... eh?

Rest of you. Hum along. Hmmmmmm. I give up.

Enjoy the ATV too. They are really popular in Utah's high country. Something going on that makes my head ache. They are having FUN at 9,000 feet elevation. Hmmmm.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ford F350 Diesel Tow Vehicle BACK UP ASSIST?

I do not need to use my stinkin' video Back up Assist.

It is as dumb as you selecting the Auto Select on your AM/FM Radio. You get what ever the RADIO wants you to hear.

Does the Back of Assist, BUA for shorter typing to avoid typos.

BUA never screams... STOP. Before a tree limb takes your AC (Air Conditioner to those of you not Neanderthals).

BUA never finds the Picnic Table until the side of your Airstream finds it, first. Maybe clean out your ear orifice someday. It is growing hear and whatever else...

BUA works only for those who have hours backing, pulling forward, backing up, pulling ..... OK you are getting the picture? Or not... keep back up, forward... the
Sun is going to burn out before you do...

BUA is a video of what IS, not what Could BE Missing along the SIDES that are cutting into that Beer Can Metal Cylinder with Windows.

BOA... is also a Bank in NEW York. Or somewhere not near your Airstream.

BUA causes you to Depend on a tiny Video to move a massive chunk of rolling metal towards places you have never been, never wanted to visit and having to pay through your nostrils until your eyes water and turn read... and then still back into the cement post number without your current Paid Receipt clipped on it, correctly.

BUA OTG... Buy Other Airstream... is what you do when you smack up the current one. OTG... Off the Grid camping provides empty Deserts to practice. Most Airstream Owners are CNBU... can not back up... a car, non the less a 34 foot Airplane without wings.

OK. Lighten up. This is to get you prepared for the real world of spending money by the wheel barrow load for what? YOU make me a list of WHAT? I know What. WHAT is a friend of Mine. You never knew WHAT, still don't.

The message: Do not depend on Back Up Assist video. It could be a video of a campsite three days ago... BANG, WAM and Ding Dong to you. Enjoy your Day. Mine begins right after this post.

dbj216: Nice 27 footer. Keep it nice. Avoid the BOA and keep it nice. Buffing aluminum is tough. I know. I buffed out Aluminum castings on slot machines on a floor buffer. Sometimes the parts would catch and edge and be tossed into another State! Keep posting.

Nancy is in charge of BUA. I watch her hand signals. Five fingers... good. Fewer the fingers, the worse my job of Backing Up Myself would have been.

I may have to get out of the Tow Vehicle and see what all of the hand motions and waving means. Often in languages I do not understand. Stop...!!!! is one.

Another... "Help Me find the two Blue Heelers."
Old 06-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Never where a seatbelt because it won’t prevent accidents either.��
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Do's and Don'ts: A fine line with big weight gains possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Never where a seatbelt because it won’t prevent accidents either.��
- Don't wear any Pants when camping with 'new friends' you are tired of helping them unclog their Black Tank... blaming it on Thick Water. They and their Thick Water will leave sooner, than later. They will figure you do not know what you are talking about when you ask them to... Look Into that Round Opening and PULL. They did what you asked. Now it is your fault they have to dry clean their suits. (They own a 48 foot Airstream. They both have short feet when pacing it out.)

- Don't wear a hat that says 'Wyoming Sucks' when you are at a Rodeo in Lusk, Wyoming. You also are wearing flip flop Boots. Just does not go over well. Looks dumb as well, but if you are from Out of State... everyone already knows that.

- Don't say "I like your Prairie Dogs" and point at the Ranchers's BLUE Heelers. They are not Blue. They go from Brown to Black to Grey... never Blue. Prairie dogs are always brown and sit upon a pile of dirt with a hole in the center.

- Don't confuse a Diesel Truck with a Hippie Van. They use different Fuels. One is low in Sulfur. The other Common Sense...

- Any other Do's, Do Nots or favorite Dough Nuts out there to mention? Shiny16 started this. Someone else can keep it going... or Don't. I am unloading our trailer and found stuff I thought was stolen months ago...
Old 06-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
What we didn't need...

...was a 27 International FBT with lime green "wonder fake leather" but it found us. After 20 months of my bride ogling Patrick B from Colonial RV, she convinced me it really was all about a 26U. Tough to shop from Alaska. I finally got her into one on a lot in Oregon where she said "nope." Walked through a 27' floor plan or two and she said "yup." Got a call a month later - guess what just rolled in on trade for a motorhome? 6 month old 27'. Lime Green discount offered, we bought. Turns out the DW loves lime green. Don't tell.

Similar on the truck. They know what they are doing by keeping the shiny ones up front when they see my name on the oil change or warranty maintenance schedule. Didn't want a 2020 F250, but they really wanted both my 17 F350 and 18 F150. The King Ranch trim didn't hurt. Having only one truck to manage doesn't hurt, either.

Lucy the part chocolate lab, part kangaroo, part crocodile and part block-head Chessie is finally 5 and worth the trouble. Advice: stay off craigs list puppy pages.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
South to Alaska at the North Pole... or not?

pjshier: Great story. I like the 25 to 28 foot Airstreams Best. I want to get the word out in the event I want to sell ours some day.

Added together for 53 feet, divide by TWO and the 26.5 foot is just short of the actual length of the 27 foot, which is longer than the... 28. Small feet situation or am I wrong?

The 25 foot sell faster and the Dealership would like to move the 27's along.

Towing with a F250 or F350... up the Globe... North to Alaska will give you that extra 6 inches to make a 27 a 28. As you get closer to the North Pole... you can travel the entire world compass directions in less than five seconds with a toy dog sled.

Although AT the North Pole... isn't everything South?

Now back to clean out the truck's floor, back seat floor. Found a nice Winchester 22 lever action and my metal detector, two Blue Heeler Pet Porters and some packs of micro fiber cloths for wiping windows. I hope I put some cash under a floor mat... that WOULD be a surprise. I looked last time and found nothing...

I would like owning two F250/F350 trucks. If you have Six Good Tires of the original TEN tires on wheels... you can slowly part out one and keep the other running. Concrete blocks are strong and do not corrode or rust. Any comments? I could not afford TWO trucks... junk yards have no F250/F350's. Maybe they are worth more wrecked...

I have no Junk Trucks in my Front Yard to help my neighbor decide to Stay or Not Stay. Any suggestions? Dodge Cumming twin turbo Diesel and let it idle Black Soot? With the seven foot TALL chrome exhaust pipes and no mufflers... work? They have a real swimming pool. I have a bathtub painted with flowers...
Old 06-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
BUYING right is when you SAVE MONEY.

Buying what you DO NOT NEED will save you MORE money.

For Boondockers who like to find a Good BUY, when you did not plan on it:

- We bought a NEW 2019 International Airstream when ALL NEW 2020's were hidden off the lot. Wanted a NEW 25 foot 2020 Flying Cloud.

- We bought a NEW 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 when the NEW 2017 F250 gassers were on the Lot and the Ford Dealer. Had a Tundra 4x4 Crew Max for trade, towing a 25 foot Airstream previously.

The Tundra 4x4 was excellent, although a bit light for the 25 foot Airstream we... wanted. Towed the 23 foot without issues. The extra two feet caused the back of the Tundra go flatten the leaf springs.

There were NO F250's on the Ford Lot we wanted. Those we saw were for white trucks for Construction and stripped down to minimums. Six and Eight Cylinder gassers. Did not want the Six Cylinder turbo. We did not say we needed to tow. I just LIKED 3/4 Ton trucks, that day.

The Ford Dealer found, somewhere, as I did not see it on the lot... a New 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel that was maroon (my favorite color, Silver a second). A King Ranch. They wanted to SELL it as the 2020's were coming. Moaning and groaning, almost walking away twice... we haggled on the Ford, got a great deal on the Tundra with topper (4x4) and had heavy duty floor mats and a mat for the back of the pickup's bed. We... cried all the way to the Bank.

Airstream was getting NEW 2020's. They were being stored behind the gates and you could not see, touch, smell or even get close to one. BUT... there were unsold NEW 2019's on the lot and ready to MOVE THEM. I wanted a Flying Cloud 25 foot. NONE on the lot, all had been sold. But... 27 foot and longer models were on the lot... still all 2019's.

There were plenty of 27 foot Internationals 2019's. Finding ONE after checking it out from a creeper underneath to a ladder to the roof and Nancy going through the interior... we found ONE without any issue. We added a 3 inch Lift Kit, an Equalizer Hitch, Two 80 watt Solar Panels, Two AGM Batteries.

On Delivery Day... the Dealer had the Airstream filled with water. All plumbing checked out. AC was excellent. Hot water tank, Dometic Refer... did a 100% walk through... and the only thing I spotted was wire for the Solar Panels that needed to be secured and done immediately.

We asked if we could CHARGE the entire cost. No, but they gave us a maximum. We charged it to get 3% back from our card holder and wrote the check... hooked up to the F350 and took it home.

No SAG with the Equalizer, F350 and 27 foot International. Loaded or unloaded. It gets a Wyoming.... Yaaaaaaah Hooooo and kicking Cow Patty all over Town.

Added a portable Costco 100watt Solar Panel for $99 with the savings in TAXES.

1- We did not want a F350 Diesel. Fantastic vehicle and I drove Tundras since 2006.

2- We did not want a 27 foot International. Fantastic trailer and the extra cabinet space and two Air Conditioners is a good resale feature.

3- Nancy made cushion covers that can be removed when we sell... fat chance that is going to happen. No more on this style and it has all of the OLD appliances which we can fix and know how to use. Other than the Awning... but it has worked out, as well.

4- I did not want a Heeler Pup, either. The seller did not want to deal. We paid him what he wanted. Best Pup one could find for the next 15 to 20 years.

WHAT IS YOUR STORY? OTHERS FIND GETTING WHAT YOU ...do not want... INTERESTING.
That is very similar how we ended up with our current 2017 30' Classic and 217 " Silver " my favorite color F250.
Listed our 2013 30' International just to see what the market was and sold it within two weeks for more than we expected and things began to unfold in unplanned and unexpected ways.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote