Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Broke, Bored & Need Cash?

I see an interesting thread by islandtrader and do not want to ruin his fun. My brother and I have metal detected in the 1900's. Around 1975 to be closer to fact than fiction.

Missouri was a great place for metal detecting. A Coin Master was excellent and we even figured out to float the electronics and seal the 'head' so we could go out and do old swimming holes along the Rivers. People wore lots of Rings in the early days. Lots... we know.

When we set up camp in an area that has had campers, hunters, sheep herders and trailers... I take some time out to find loose change, keys, bottle caps, pull tabs... and other good stuff.

I scanned what 'modern non silver coins' look like fresh from the ground. I took some to a local Service Station to get a large soda, with ice and pulled out the CASH. He looked... NO Charge.

Thank you. Cash in the dirt for 40 years can look a bit rough. Especially the cents with the zinc interiors.

Find lots of cartridges from the 19th Century. Sharps, Henery... good used copper shell casings. Lead mini balls, coins, keys, and lots of broken stuff.

I am showing photos of stuff found. My brother found the silver 'thing' at a 18th Century Indian site from a Missouri Farm. The farmer's like to see what he can find on their plowed fields after harvest. He chips them arrowheads and can keep the Historical Indian stuff. Mostly repurposed gun barrels, flint lock hammers. You know... rusted trash... but old rusted trash. Some brass, silver and lead, too.

My brother is skilled. I am looking for pull tabs and find lots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	394364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0007.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	394365  

Name:	DSCN1011.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	394366   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_123986672.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	394367  

Old 04-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Class Ring... Missing Boyfriend...Returned Found Ring

A story to draw tears...

Visiting relatives in Missouri, my brother and I hit the local swimming beach at a Lake.

Found a Class Ring. It had the name of the school, the year. Better yet... the name of the Owner inscribed inside the ring.

I found the address of the High School and sent the Ring. May have been Minnesota. Like a Tri City High School... this has been 30 years ago.

Not long after I mailed the Ring to the High School, I received a Thank You letter from the, now fully grown woman, that her boyfriend broke up with her, took her ring and never seen again. Him or the Ring.

Well, he lost the ring at a swimming beach. Why he still wore it? Is a mystery, of course. Her Uncle still taught at the High School and the school showed him the ring and he knew it was his niece!

So... metal detecting has its rewards and for me finding the name and school on a ring made this a mystery solved.

I would describe other finds but 'good finds' are very rare. The Golden Age was when I paid about $130 for a new detector and found a 3/4 carat pear shaped diamond ring in a old swimming hole that was condemned. The first thing I found of value on the first day using it. A popular swimming hole in the 1950's and 1960's... whew.

I was hooked.

I want to find a meteorite. They fall from the sky at... random. It can weigh 200 pounds or dust in your storm gutter. Just inches below the surface and resting there for thousands of years or a hundred or yesterday. There is a website where they track Meteorite Falls that the professionals rush out to locate. I am not... that interested. But check it out.

Sitting in lawn chairs during daylight a sparkly, popping came out of the sky just west of Great Basin National Park two years ago. It could not have been too far north of our campsite, did not make any BANG coming through the Air and almost straight down. But... that was close enough for us... maybe 'sniff it out' next time in the area.

So far... lots of pull tabs, bottle caps, bolts off of Airstreams... junk.

When you metal detect, you find stuff on top of the ground. Like paper currency. Hunt the bushes downwind from a large parking lot. Paper money dropped gets blown into the tall grass and bushes. Do not believe me? Of course you don't. That is why I am giving you free advice as there are millions of parking lots and only a handful or resourceful Airstream Owners thinking outside the OTG Boondocking limitations of imagination.

Today, you will probably not find enough stuff to pay off the current price of a new Metal Detector. The easy pickings are picked. Stay out of City Parks... that is going to ruin the grass. Some Party Spot in the desert or out of town... lots of junk, but among the trash you pick up and put into the garbage are good stuff.

Like to recover crusty cents, brown dimes, quarters and buried trash from some previous campers...? Waaaaa Hooooo.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Maybe upgrades needed in the 1867 to 1870 West

On a Ranch we would camp was discovered a Union Pacific Rail Road 1867 to 1890 campsite. The ranch has changed hands and we have not been back for some years. But the memory of great views and solitude remain.

Some rim fire cartridges made of copper were found scattered about. These three are examples of some that well... needed some work on the chamber. Maybe cartridges that were undersized is closer to the truth, but interesting non the less.

Lead bullets from these early cartridges indicate that people were shooting out of the windows and the Railroad workers were finding Antelope plenty for roasting. Talk about Home on the Range. Of course lots of crushed soldered tin cans.

Never ignore trash sticking in the sod. When the Steam Engines pulling passengers across the western USA... trash was tossed out the windows. Bottle, broken plates, coffee cups, broken pocket watches, square nails, rail spikes that were dropped and left to the weather... keys, coins and just crushed trash. From Omaha, Nebraska to California.

I DO Promote tossing coins out of Rail Road passenger cars in the 19th Century. Am still looking... but now in parking lots walking towards the entrances. Cents and Dimes are most common. Some day I can buy a cheeseburger with fries...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	394375  
Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Am I one of the FEW who do things other than fishing or trying to find a television station, while camped in an Airstream?

Nancy enjoys reading while I am out climbing around recovering lost rocks, agates, rusty horse and mule shoes, hunter's lost knives, ammunition...

Stuff falling out of ATV's through the Forest. I found a rifle east of Laramie, Wyoming. We were practicing repelling and running alongside the cliffs. Resting i went on top and wandered around and noticed a rifle barrel showing. I worked my way down, thinking it was some vintage rifle but was modern, a round in the chamber and moss in the barrel. The stock needed to be refinished and the bluing a bit weathered, but solid.

I spent time cleaning it up. Reblued the barrel, refinished the stock, cleaned the bore and sold it through the local Tradio call in program in Laramie... a long, time ago when I was young and wild.

So... if you are curious and your arse is not anchored to a seat... get out and try something new. I received this today:

Eat whatever you like because you will still DIE. Don't allow motivational speakers deceive you.

1. The inventor of the treadmill died at the age of 54

2. The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57

3. The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41

4. The best footballer in the world Maradona, died at the age of 60.

5. Jim Fix who popularised jogging died while jogging at 52.

BUT

5. The KFC inventor died at 94.

6. Inventor of Nutella brand died at the age of 88

7. Imagine, cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102

8. The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 in an earthquake

9. Hennessey inventor died at 98.

How did these doctors come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs
life?

The rabbit is always jumping up and down but it lives for only 2 years
and the turtle that doesn’t exercise at all, lives 400 years.

So, Take some rest, Chill, Stay cool, eat, drink and enjoy your life.
You will still die. I'm sending my Nike trainers back for a refund
Old 04-29-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
. . .
and the turtle that doesn’t exercise at all, lives 400 years.

So, Take some rest, Chill, Stay cool, eat, drink and enjoy your life.
You will still die.
. . .
Thanks Ray for these nuggets, which glistened as I went by.

In keeping with the theme, do you know this one?

Interesting video . . . which is available on Full Screen, by clicking on the URL at the top of the YT frame above.

Reminds of this video with lyrics of Leon Russell's "Tight Rope" . . .

" . . . flanked by life and the funeral pyre . . . "

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Interesting hobby, almost took it up years ago. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
Odessa , Texas
I travel with a Minelab metal detector in my RV. I was walking my dogs in an older park a few days ago and I noticed they were installing irrigation lines. Just on a whim I asked one of the park supervisors (in a pickup, with XX county Park Dept on the side) if I could detect the dig site and dirt piles. He said sure, no problem. I've got my upcoming weekend planned!
Yankee Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
first collection of photos

wondering if you care to share the metal detector settings required to locate the inverted vehicle frame. I have a feeling recycled steel will once again be a big deal.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You were an interesting read until it ended with the list of alternative facts. "The cigarette maker Winston died at 102." Could you provide this gentleman's name? The cigarettes were named after the region where the tobacco was grown i.e. Winston-Salem, NC. BTW - most of the "Winston men" died of lung cancer, the most horrible death being Alan Landers, the original Winston man. He'd been diagnosed with lung cancer, had parts of both removed, then got throat cancer the year he died and before he testified as a plaintiff against R.J. Reynolds. Wished you'd stuck to your adventures in metal detecting.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
PatLee is Right. I am Left, holding the Dectector.

PatLee is right. "Fact Check Post states wrong ages at which several inventors died." He is correct and the Fact Check is even more interesting! Thanks. I will more careful, next time.

Metal Detecting is much like Fact Checking. You need to trust the source of interesting locations to spend some time checking it out. Do the research yourself. It takes time, but the payoff may be very rewarding.

I would consider old traveling Carnival Grounds outside small towns as a good Fact Checking opportunity. Often the town out grew the boundaries and the Carnival Grounds are in someone's yard.

The carnivals today where the loose change comes out of the pockets... probably are cleaned up by those working them. My sister lost every bit of change at a Ferris Wheel with the spinning around 'capsule', pelting those below at Cheyenne Frontier Days. I was so ill from the ride I walked home and never rode anything spinning again. But... the change did fly. Almost something else, as well.

The 3/4 carat Pear diamond in white gold I mentioned. Coming out of this closed swimming hole, with several inches of black organic sludge on top of sand... was not the place, even when open... where you would show off your new engagement ring. But someone... did.

When you have a ring on your finger and get into the water, the finger shrinks in the cold water. Try it some day. And... off the ring can go.

Well, I thought the ring was fake. My girlfriend was watching the leeches and black gunk in horror... which was fine for a treasure hunter. This came out of the shallow water and my first find. No fact checking on that, true. I asked if she would take it to the jeweler in town and have him clean it. She returned. It was cleaned. The jewelry shop owner offered $500, back in the those days. It was real... no doubt.

We were married. She loved the ring and had it remounted.

We were divorced several decades later. She still has the Ring. I loaned the detector to a Rancher in western Nebraska after collecting vertebrate fossils on his property. I would pick up the detector when I returned the following Spring.

He was no longer at the Ranch that following Spring. Never saw him or the detector, again. I don't lend anything. Next time the diamond ring goes into my pocket. No show and tell.

Fact Check that with her. PatLee did me a favor passing on something that is interesting. Thanks. I will stick to my treasure stories. Been doing this since I had a driver's license and it beat working for someone my entire life. Times change and the interest in one thing diminishes and another picks up. You have to be on top of it.

When the Internet became common access for everyone... the gig was up. Information learned from experience had value. Today... you look it up on the Internet. Most everything is out there with photos included.

I was always the Hunt and then the discovery. Makes your life exciting while getting exercise. I plan to live to be 99. One hundred is much too.. old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2426.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	394446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3186.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	394447  

Name:	Nesting Falcon.jpeg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	394448  
Old 04-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
and the turtle that doesnít exercise at all, lives 400 years.
I will use this the next time the wife is nagging me to speed up.

I tried my metal detector when we were down in New Mexico. All I could find was trash, old wire, gum wrappers, etc. I think someone even threw out some change to get me excited. Couldn't even find that.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Do not Metal Detect in a Dumpster... waste of time. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I will use this the next time the wife is nagging me to speed up.

I tried my metal detector when we were down in New Mexico. All I could find was trash, old wire, gum wrappers, etc. I think someone even threw out some change to get me excited. Couldn't even find that.

Shadow Mountain, Wyoming. The locals, probably teenagers, start a bonfire and drink after sunset.

Nancy and I cleaned up loose beer cans an then I go to checking things out. The large boulder Fire Ring is the first clue. Bottles and Cans, the next... Figure where they were getting in and out of automobiles and a safe distance from the fire. Sometimes good. Sometimes, not.

Great coin shooting. They stand around with their hands in their pockets to warm them up. When they pull their hands out, often comes change. Quarters are great for coming out. Dimes... less so.

Fishermen loose lots of stuff walking along the creek, fly fishing.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Western Wyoming: Junk Yard Fun

This is for someone who is pacing the house anxious to get out and start the High Country Season... camping OTG.

Here is some incentive. It may still be available. I found it always tough dealing with the owners of junk yard material. They just like it... We found it interesting and wandered around.

If a photo is worth a thousand words... make this a multiple.

Not my kind of 'stuff' but maybe some are left. August 2017. I posted the Union Pacific conversion on the Forum some time ago for those restoring them.

Have Fun. I do this every season and always wondering... what is around the next corner.

I have always said: "I buy junk, and, sell antiques." Buying is the fun part. The rest is hard work. But I kept busy doing it.

You have to have a 'natural curiosity'. You also need to have a feel for what has potential and what is actually best for parts and pieces.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5215.jpg
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	394450   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5213.jpg
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	394451  

Name:	DSCN5205.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	394452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5207.jpg
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	394453  

Name:	DSCN5212.jpg
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	394454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5209.jpg
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	394455  

Name:	DSCN5206.jpg
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	394456   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5214.jpg
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	394457  

Old 04-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Found a Civil war infantry ( capital I ) button in our yard. Need to do more detecting, haven't had time.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
" I plan to live to be 99. One hundred is much too.. old."

My Father-in-Law was a tough old Buffalo who drank and smoked for much of his life, but was strong and healthy. They used to tell him he would live to be 100 and he would reply, "Well, who the hell wants to be 100?"

I told him, "Everyone that's 99..."
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Metal Detecting on Shadow Mountain, Wyoming

TR... is right. I need to finish my 70's in nine more years. Not stopping anywhere soon.

Tetons and the Grand Teton view from the large open area on top of Shadow Mountain in the small patch of National Forest on the east side of the Highway. Taken August 5, 2012.

Fire pit I metal detected was around this area where the 'road' was blocked.

THE VIEW from our Airstream is the Grand Teton.

There is camping in the trees to the north, if they do not have horse trailers packed in them. But at this elevation, it gets cool at night and warm days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2830.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	394559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2818.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	394561  

Name:	DSCN2813.jpg
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	394562  
Old 05-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
This is one of your better ones Ray.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Coolest thing I ever found was a "motometer" stored away right now but in the meantime it looked like this only better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22445239121...oAAOSwOvNgk~ng

Other interesting find was a large square cross section nail that a historian friend said was typical of 1800's.

I also used my detector to find piles of buried bailing wire to clean up my property. Then also for finding irrigation control wiring.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Nail in your Wagon Wheel?

When the Union Pacific Railroad built tracks through Wyoming they established campsites that were convenient with water available in 1867.

Locomotives and tracks became heavier and more sophisticated. The original lighter weight tracks, spikes and hardware were removed from the original 1867 rails and a more convenient... straighter track and route were built around 1890.

UPRR in Omaha, Nebraska would never respond to my letters as to years, etc.. (The UPRR gained valuable resources by wandering the track to include them in the original buildout. Every other section of land. Modern ownership maps still show the UPRR property.) They also would not say when this area had the tracks removed...

Oh well. More research to do.

A campsite, where the original 1867 track was graded and laid, had these square nails scattered around in the sod. Being a bit curious I arranged them in sizes. The longest is 5 inches.

Most were the shape of those you see. Some had the 'zig zag' style like the odd one in the frame.

I use to claim that I even could find a $1 paper 'Silver Certificates' with my metal detector. I would lay a Federal Reserve note near it to show the difference. The Silver Certificate had a thin adhesive aluminum foil 'added' onto the back side. Worked every time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	395407