Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Boondocks for 28 days and NO Solar

Talk to a guy that claims he boondocks for weeks at a time and his longest without moving his AS was 28 days. Iím sure you thinking the same thing I was when he told me that. I ask how many batteries do you have and he had two 100 amp lithium and how much solar do you have and he said zero. He said that on day one he replaced his toilet with a composting toilet so the black tank was never used. He showed me the back of his F250 and had a diesel aux tank with an Onan 4500-watt diesel generator plumb into his aux tank. He also had a water bladder and a 12-volt pump setup in the back of the truck to transport water. Gray water may be controversial but in Arizona, you can dump gray water onto the ground and he said he uses soaps that are environmentally friendly. He has probably 10 feet of sewer hose with a Y at the end. He had a friend 3D print him connections that would connect the standard garden hose to the sewer hose and uses a lawn sprinkler hose with holes in it to spread the water out over a larger area. I asked why no solar and he said he boondocks all summer in the southwest in 100 degree weather and AC is a must.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
A couple more things he said. He has never used the propane stove and does all his cooking outside or in the microwave. He said in two years he still on his first tank of propane and hasn't even turned in on for months. Yes, cold showers.

He also said he never washed one dish in the RV and uses Bamboo plates and he burns the bamboo plates in the camp fire. He also uses zero bottle water and trys to keep trash to minimum and be as environmentally friendly as possible. He runs his drinking water though a Berkey water filter.

Interesting guy.
and
Old 11-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
I can see it being done.

The wife and I used to do seven to nine days in a Jeep Wrangler before I got decrepit. 14 days in our Globetrotter works out pretty well. Ten days is glamping it. Never running out of ice for your whiskey is pure high end luxury, not to mention hot running water for washing up.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I've gone 7 days with generator power running a/c (we were camping with a family that had a diabetic child that had to be able to cool off in a/c) and it was no problem tbh. Just required around 3-5 gallons of fuel a day depending on night time temps. I have a predator 3500 quiet generator which we ran non-stop for the whole week in eco mode (ie it idles down when not loaded). Diesel would probably cut that down some on consumption but cost the same, if not more. My buddy had two 5 gallon jerry cans on his jeep that he filled 2 or 3 times over the week. So you absolutely can do it with a generator provided you're willing to fuel it, and situating it properly the noise was pretty low.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
He said he got the Onan generator out of wreck Class C with under 100 hours on it for 500 bucks and he pulled out.
and
Old 11-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
So, the secret to extended camping off grid without solar: pack along a 120 pound generator that uses about 5 gallons of diesel per day at 25% load.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
So, the secret to extended camping off grid without solar: pack along a 120 pound generator that uses about 5 gallons of diesel per day at 25% load.
lol, right!?

The secret to long term off grid camping is to just do it. Just do it and figure it out. Buy, beg, borrow, and steal ideas. Figure out what works for YOU where you boondock. The rest is purely for entertainment purposes.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

Nope
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:03 PM   #9
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

I do 30 days and more.

Gray water in the bushes. Pee in the bushes.

A field toilet (a small bucket!) with plastic bags that go the trash in town rather than use black tank. The key there is to get these amazing odor sealing bags from Amazon called BOS brand bags. A standard 4 gal small trash bag from the grocery store lines the bucket for each squat, then after the biz gets put into a BOS bag which then goes in the main trash till I dispose of that in town, etc. Zero odor.

400 watts of solar with 2 golf cart 6v Trojan t 105s for 220 AH, 110 usable.

Stock 1000w inverter to make coffee with a small 700w coffee pot, and some dvd /tv use at night and charge the laptop. Minor furnace use.

Only limitation is water, but I always have three six gallon totes in the truck that I fill whenever I canóblm stations, fuel stations, etc.

Propane never an issue, rarely need heat the times of year I do this. But if I do propane is always accessible if needed. 60# lasts forever though. Also carry a dedicated 20# propane tank for the Weber Q1000 grill and Coleman camp stove. (Hoses with no regulators to fuel those things).

Donít bother taking the generator anymore, but Iím usually in the sunny Intermountain west and the trusty Trojans are full by noon every day.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We’ve gone 15-days with a small 2500-watt gen on BLM land in WY and NV… and solar costs haven’t yet convinced me to try it.
We Carry two 5-gal jerry cans which refuel the gen as well as provide insurance on the road between distant gas stations. 60-lbs of propane. (I’m surprised at using inverter to percolate coffee…. not being critical for what works for others…but although we have a gen we try to not use it unnecessarily, … we have only a standard Group 24 lead/acid battery…. an inverter to run a resistance-device is an expensive, double-inefficient way to do that. A stove-top percolator and propane (or a campfire) makes our coffee.)

https://www.amazon.com/Coletti-Bozem.../dp/B01HZYPQVG

We have a collapsible bucket kept in the shower…catches water from our “navy showers”….to be used to flush the toilet. Our fresh-water tank is supplanted by 3 or 4 one-gallon-jugs of water for cooking/coffee.

It’s truly an easy thing to learn frugality and conserve resources. (It becomes a fun-challenge to discover new methods to do that.)

Typically, after breaking-camp we refuel/restock in-town on our way to the next campsite…and found an “app” which quickly locates gas-station/convenience-stores or public parks with complimentary dump-station where we can also re-fill our fresh-water tank.

Remote boondocking became our favorite way to camp.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
..and don't use water.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
We use a Coleman stovetop drip coffeemaker, have had it for decades now...

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000.../dp/B001K7IDVU
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds like a guy that knows what he is doing. But...not for me. You lost me at "composting toilet".
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have 200amps of lithium + 400w of solar, the AS has 40gal of water ... longest boondock 20 day we usually run 7-14 days no worries ... love the fridge/freezer in the old AS ... 90% cooking on the BBQ and camp stove ... we basically never do "serviced" campsites.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:54 AM   #15
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
We’ve gone 15-days with a small 2500-watt gen on BLM land in WY and NV… and solar costs haven’t yet convinced me to try it.
We Carry two 5-gal jerry cans which refuel the gen as well as provide insurance on the road between distant gas stations. 60-lbs of propane. (I’m surprised at using inverter to percolate coffee…. not being critical for what works for others…but although we have a gen we try to not use it unnecessarily, … we have only a standard Group 24 lead/acid battery…. an inverter to run a resistance-device is an expensive, double-inefficient way to do that. A stove-top percolator and propane (or a campfire) makes our coffee.)

https://www.amazon.com/Coletti-Bozem.../dp/B01HZYPQVG

We have a collapsible bucket kept in the shower…catches water from our “navy showers”….to be used to flush the toilet. Our fresh-water tank is supplanted by 3 or 4 one-gallon-jugs of water for cooking/coffee.

It’s truly an easy thing to learn frugality and conserve resources. (It becomes a fun-challenge to discover new methods to do that.)

Typically, after breaking-camp we refuel/restock in-town on our way to the next campsite…and found an “app” which quickly locates gas-station/convenience-stores or public parks with complimentary dump-station where we can also re-fill our fresh-water tank.

Remote boondocking became our favorite way to camp.
Boxite, curious which app you use to find complimentary dump stations.
Thanks in advance, Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Boxite, curious which app you use to find complimentary dump stations.
Thanks in advance, Mark
Take your pick… (depends on what medium you might prefer)….
All kinds of apps:
https://www.rvezy.com/blog/best-rv-apps#pilot-flying-j
which will also offer you the following:

Dump station apps:
RV Dump Stations

Price: A one-time payment of $0.99.

Overview: The RV Dump Stations app is an Apple-only app created to help RVers and truck drivers locate dump stations throughout the United States and Canada. The user-friendly map helps people visualize the dump station, so it’s easy to determine if it’s the best place for your size rig.

Why it’s great: Most of the stations have additional information such as GPS coordinates, address, phone number, and the cost to dump. Since some dump stations are cash-only, it helps eliminate the frantic search for spare change before you get to the station to clean your holding tanks.

Download: iOS

Sanidumps

Price: The Android app is free with ads. The online platform is free, with a choice to donate to the website’s operating costs.

Overview: Sanidumps is an online platform and Android app created to help RVers locate dump stations throughout the United States and Canada.

Why it’s great: Sanidumps is a comprehensive collection of RV dump stations found at RV parks, private campgrounds, public campgrounds, and municipal parks. Sanidumps also shows truck stops, rest stops, and commercial dump stations and, when available, indicates the cost to dump. The online platform is easy to navigate, but non-Android RVers will have to find the closest dump station using their mobile phone’s browser.

Download: Android
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Did you ask him for his real name and how he gets his mail?

Sounds like a lot of work and sacrifice but I suppose if that's your goal it can be done. I personally, like boondocking in the desert and mountains, but I also have found over the years with our AS's, it's nice to have convenience. In Borrego Springs, we know a guy who frequents the Forum, who is pretty much boondocking most of the time out there. He does tow into town State Park (3~ miles) to empty black and fill his FW tank, get some supplies about every 10 days or so... Thats about all though. Not what the wife has in mind...TOEO.. Oh yea, longest we have gone without dumping/electric/water is 10 days...many campgrounds like Glacier/Yellowstone it's boondocking anyway...just more folks around. (having a shower, toilet, and running water now days is always nice, vs using your AS for these...assuming you don't mind the convinience)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:49 AM   #18
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
(Iím surprised at using inverter to percolate coffeeÖ. not being critical for what works for othersÖbut although we have a gen we try to not use it unnecessarily, Ö we have only a standard Group 24 lead/acid batteryÖ. an inverter to run a resistance-device is an expensive, double-inefficient way to do that. A stove-top percolator and propane (or a campfire) makes our coffee.)
I used a French press, even after upgrading to solar. It was after I sold my house and moved in to my trailer and had full hookups that I got a small coffee maker without even thinking about the wattage. I just got a small 5-cup model because it took less counter space. Then on the next camping/boondock trip, I looked at it and saw the 700 watt draw, and realized my 1000w inverter could run it. With my flooded 6v batteries (220ah, 110 usable), I can make the coffee and pour a mug and then pour the second mug into my double walled French press to keep hot. The coffee maker uses about 6 ah inverted AC which is 60 ah (dc) from the batteries but only for 8 or ten minutes which wings up being 10 ah total from the batts. The solar puts that back in no time.

With a single group 24 (or even two) with no solar I would stick with the French press using propane heated water. It was going to solar that changed everything for me, and eliminated the generator. Iíve been fine with my two flooded 6v batteries, and havenít even been tempted to upgrade to lithium as is such the fad. I have not had the need for that extravagance. When Iím boondocking, Iím campingóand treat my power usage as such.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I used a French press, even after upgrading to solar. It was after I sold my house and moved in to my trailer and had full hookups that I got a small coffee maker without even thinking about the wattage. I just got a small 5-cup model because it took less counter space. Then on the next camping/boondock trip, I looked at it and saw the 700 watt draw, and realized my 1000w inverter could run it. With my flooded 6v batteries (220ah, 110 usable), I can make the coffee and pour a mug and then pour the second mug into my double walled French press to keep hot. The coffee maker uses about 6 ah inverted AC which is 60 ah (dc) from the batteries but only for 8 or ten minutes which wings up being 10 ah total from the batts. The solar puts that back in no time.

With a single group 24 (or even two) with no solar I would stick with the French press using propane heated water. It was going to solar that changed everything for me, and eliminated the generator. Iíve been fine with my two flooded 6v batteries, and havenít even been tempted to upgrade to lithium as is such the fad. I have not had the need for that extravagance. When Iím boondocking, Iím campingóand treat my power usage as such.
Fully agree. As a boondocker I donít get the need to spend 1000s on batteries that Iím perfectly happy to do without. How I like to camp. I go to the woods to relax. Not to hide inside with the windows blacked out in thr ac. To each their own I guess.

I just donít get the glampers who are always hooked up spending big $ on fancy batteries either. .

Guess itís force of habit. Had flooded batteries by default for decades and they worked fine for me.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Could you imagine what our landfills would look like if everyone used a plastic bag each time they had a need.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote