Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yeah, the difference is humidity of 90% on that tropical isle vs. 15% here in Colorado. Since moving from South Florida to Colorado, the only time I use the AC is when visiting the deserts of AZ & UT. Living in Durango at 7,600 feet, we do not have AC, and I'll take 90 in CO over 90 in FL anyday!
I wasn't addressing the different locations or the climates, I am talking about the inside of the trailer when the outside temperature is 90 or above and the sun is shining all day. If you live in your trailer full time, then I will listen to what you are saying. , but if you live in a house in Durango, I don't think that is ground for a comparison. I assume your house is better insulated than an Airstream. I've been in Durango in the summer and I would not want to be dependent on an Airstream without A/C. If you can enjoy that then more power to you.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I like boats.

to me, camping involves a lot of leaky canvas and smoky smelling sleeping bags. Pup tents. Luxury would be including a hammock made up of a section of sharp nylon garroting twine that stores in a bag the size of an Opera singers fist.

You haven't camped in a while, have you? Take a look at the equipment today, there have been a few little changes.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #43
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
you mean the canvas wall tents don't smell like they were soaked in diesel anymore?

You don't kill yourself tripping over pup tent stakes and smashing the entire thing flatter than roadkill in the process?

People are no longer branding their palms while finding out that cheap camping cookwear is made of an aluminum alloy that is a better thermal transfer medium than flame itself?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
hey, I should ask you....how is Wildish as an Airstream/RV dealer? they sounded pretty much okay on the phone, but I haven't found the place yet.
I really don't know how to answer that. I haven't dealt with them for two years now. The service department seems typical for what I hear on the forums. They want to take shortcuts that I wouldn't take, and they are obviously always in a hurry and don't always check what they have done. A few times I had to have them fix something they screwed up while fixing the first problem. Since my warranty has expired, I would take my trailer somewhere else unless it was an Airstream specific problem (like body work). Even then I would try to talk Timeless Travel Trailers into doing it.

I did notice the rock, but didn't mention it, because it was obviously an ancient fertility altar. I think they're common around here.

By the way it's Windish.

Ken
Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

holden beach , North Carolina
Send a message via MSN to Tom-Mc
Made you think!

Ok everyone has had a laugh!! But no one has made a word to describe no power, water ,sewage and being out buy yourself being free. It may be at a old service station that is closed down, church,vac. lot, or wherever you think you may not be ran off!

Boone farm, boone neck, pat boone, a dock is a boat thing , a hitching post is a horse thing, so where does DOCK come into play? Did you Dock your trailer or did you park it? Cakes are done so I am finished!!!
Tom-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #46
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I got hold of a brownie like that once.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
how 'bout:

social camping
and
anti-social camping (I guess that would sound too negative to some)

I'd probably fit right in with the anti-social camping crowd . . . although it's difficult to get them to assemble into a crowd.

Or maybe just call it "Hiding" . . . as in, "I'm going to go hide from everybody this weekend" . . . and when camping in the MegalowMart Parking Lot it'd have to be "Hiding in Plain Site"

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #48
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I simply call having no "hookups" as Roughing it. Parking your AS where you can see no neighbor is my interpretation of "boondocking". No need to talk about the rock, it speaks for itself and the silence also speaks volumes.

And Gringo, if you get hold of a Brownie these days you go to jail and get your name memorialized on a forever list.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #49
one of those

2011 27 FB International
whoever told you THAT? That stuff is a slap on the wrist in most places, nothing at all in some places, and NObody goes to jail for it any more.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
gringo, i can understand you wanting to get out and watch the hurricanes from a comfortable distance...we have friends that lost it all to katrina..somebody mentioned 7300 ft. is not very up there around here and it will get hot. true. but that's the nice thing about colorado...too hot...head higher you can come spend time with us up here in 14'er country but our favorite way to keep cool is STAY ON THE RIVER! either way will work just fine, i have a big ugly ass ac unit on my caravel that is going to be taken off and thrown away unless someone out there wants it.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Boondocking would seem to be on land, as in, in the boondocks. The term I have seen for boating is "gunkholing". Its fun too.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #52
one of those

2011 27 FB International
How bout swapping syllables and making it Boonholing for living off the land and batteries...and Honda....and Freedocking for being hooked up?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Thought this might be germane, if not at least interesting, and if not that either don't read it.

Origin of the term Boondocks:

This word originated in Philippines

If you're out in the boondocks, linguistically speaking, you're much more distant than the sticks, the backwoods, the hinterland, or the bush. In fact, you're in the Philippines. That's where the boondocks came from, during the American occupation that began with the defeat of Spain in 1898. In Tagalog, the national language of the Philippines, bondoc means "mountain," and the term was used first by the occupying U.S. military to mean the Philippine mountains ... or jungle ... or remote area of any sort. By 1909 it was already in Webster's New International Dictionary with those meanings. But in English it remained largely military slang until the 1960s. The Marine Corps especially made use of boondocks. During World War II the Marines began calling their heavy combat boots boondockers, and they have worn that name ever since.

Ken
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #54
one of those

2011 27 FB International
them crazy, irrepressible Tagalogs...what will they come up with next??

Hey, it occurred to me that while Boonholing fits a lot of those situations, a better term for being hooked up might be Gunkdocking. Cause there ain't nothing "free" about it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Quote:
them crazy, irrepressible Tagalogs...what will they come up with next??

Hey, it occurred to me that while Boonholing fits a lot of those situations, a better term for being hooked up might be Gunkdocking. Cause there ain't nothing "free" about it.
There seems to be a fair number of heat packing Airstreams around. Perhaps for those, gundocking may be appropriate.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #56
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I mean't to ask y'all about that, being a newbie my own self and all.

Does the rank and file tend to go toward lawful handguns, with the attendent documentation, licensing, etc, or do you tend to go the easier, harder to trace sawed off 12 ga. route? ( I mean LEGALLY sawn off, of course. I know the rules!) I mean, I love a nice Glock 27 in .40 Smith for being handy to keep in a jacket but theres just something about that 'shaaaKLICKett" sound of racking a shell into a Mossberg thats it's own sweet music. And universally recognized.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Quote:
I mean't to ask y'all about that, being a newbie my own self and all.

Does the rank and file tend to go toward lawful handguns, with the attendent documentation, licensing, etc, or do you tend to go the easier, harder to trace sawed off 12 ga. route? ( I mean LEGALLY sawn off, of course. I know the rules!) I mean, I love a nice Glock 27 in .40 Smith for being handy to keep in a jacket but theres just something about that 'shaaaKLICKett" sound of racking a shell into a Mossberg thats it's own sweet music. And universally recognized.
Carrying firearms has a history of divisiveness here. However there seems to be a wealth of information available also. I would either find one of the old threads to post to or start your own. However, I would suggest that you start off by saying that your only interest is in gathering ideas on what to carry not debating whether to or not. Just my advice.

Ken
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #58
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a rule that mentions firearms, Gringo:

"Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive."

History on Airforums shows us that gun discussions invariably turn into flame wars.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #59
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I do believe that Ken has struck the proverbial nail right on the head with his words on the origin of "Boondocks". When serving in Vietnam we shortened it to the Boonies. The Army jungle had was simply called a boonie hat in fact. I think it still survives today with that name attached. For those of us serving in Vietnam there were two places. The Boonies ( where we were) and the World ( where we wanted to be).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
boonlodging

How about boonlodging. We're not "docked"to anything when 'boondocking" wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote