Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Hood River , hood river
Boondocking the oregon Coast? Suggestions.

After the 5 year wait I finally have my 09 19' Safari LE in the driveway for some work before the first road trip. Would love to find a spot near the ocean on the Oregon Coast (I live in Hood River) away from campgrounds. Could wait until after labor day for a week away if that helps.

Thanks in advance to any and all suggestions.
zagarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
headed for the coast

I am in Sutherlin, Oregon now and tomorrow we head for the coast and a stay at Humbug Mountain, the state park. After that we proceed down to Gold Beach to explore the mouth of the Rogue River...we have been following it since around Union Creek/Prospect area. It is a beautiful river with spectacular access near Prospect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	135398  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
I believe that overnight parking along Hwy 101 in Oregon is legal in any of the larger pullouts. We are at the S edge of the coast and see rigs parked along the hwy often - many for multi-nights.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
watch out for your stuff. lots of tweekers on the coast looking for stuff to steal.
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
and he said

what is a "tweeker"
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Meth addict
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Portland , Oregon
Astoria to Newport to Sweet Home

Are there any boondocking areas away from the road along the coast traveling south from Astoria to Newport. I will probably spend a few nights at the state park near Astoria however wish to gain your perspective before I make any plans. This two week trip could go further south if I gain a lead on boondocking however the second area of interest will be near Sweet Home, OR. If you guys have any input that would be great !
Airtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Can't help with Sweet Home as it has been years since being there. Camping/overnight parking is generally allowed allowed along 101. Individual jurisdictions may have restrictions but you should be able to find boondocking spots. We see boondockers with some frequency on So Oregon coast. Failing that there are some wonderful state parks along the way too. Also there is quite a bit of free to low cost camping on National & State forest lands that often touch or are close to 101.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Sweet Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtrekker View Post
Are there any boondocking areas away from the road along the coast traveling south from Astoria to Newport. I will probably spend a few nights at the state park near Astoria however wish to gain your perspective before I make any plans. This two week trip could go further south if I gain a lead on boondocking however the second area of interest will be near Sweet Home, OR. If you guys have any input that would be great !
Plenty of forest roads of HWY 20 just east of Sweet Home and dispersed camping everywhere with lots of mountain run off streams into the South Santiam river.
AirChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello there,

Most National Forest Land will allow "dispersed camping" ~ just check in at any National Forest Ranger station, pick up a map of the National Forest you may be visiting and ask. Often they will allow (or disallow) campfires, but you will need a fire permit (free) and the folks at the ranger station will issue one if you ask.

Good advice above on watching out for your stuff! We were camping at a Oregon State Campground and while we were eating dinner in our Airstream someone got into our tow vehicle and stole my camera. Apparently that night they hit most of one section in the campground we were at....

Have fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddygrn View Post
hello there,

most national forest land will allow "dispersed camping" ~ just check in at any national forest ranger station, pick up a map of the national forest you may be visiting and ask. Often they will allow (or disallow) campfires, but you will need a fire permit (free) and the folks at the ranger station will issue one if you ask.

Good advice above on watching out for your stuff! We were camping at a oregon state campground and while we were eating dinner in our airstream someone got into our tow vehicle and stole my camera. Apparently that night they hit most of one section in the campground we were at....

have fun!
sad
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote