Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking the 2006 Safari Blues

Nancy and I began tent camping the Rocky Mountain States. Change came in the form of a 2006 23 foot Safari Airstream. What a change it was. Now... what to do with it was to be discovered.

Camped on a mine tailing in Nevada. We moved on.

Camped on the edge of the Badlands in western Nebraska. It was Government Pasture. The next day there were fifty or so Hereford Cattle moving in. They were attracted to the Airstream. Our Blue Heelers were attracted to the Hereford Cattle. We moved on.

Our first eight years with our 2006 23 foot Safari with a 60 watt factory Solar was a wonderful experience. We traveled as often as we could. We were both free from work, from children, from everything. What an experience. Independent wanderers living in our Airstream on the road.

We miss those exciting days of a trailer and camping in comfort. The 2006 Safari is by far our favorite trailer just from using it. Each trip was a new experience. Places we never thought we would be able to locate and camped in luxury.

We have moved ahead with other Airstreams, other Blue Heelers when others passed... but still suffer the Boondocking the 2006 Safari... Blues.

We enjoy our later Airstreams. They have all the room, bells and whistles and comfort. We enjoyed trailer camping in the 2006 for eight years as it was exploring what was possible... and sometimes, what was not possible.

Our 2019 is the best Airstream of all. What we learned from using the 23 foot and 25 foot were options added to the 27 foot International. This is our second season of camping with this trailer and are not disappointed in our International. We leave for New Mexico in less than ten days.

May our Airstream Blues soon pass. We miss that 2006, and our Blue Heelers that were with us at the time. Memories are built with trips and discovering the limits and how to travel in Off the Grid situations.

We both wish all of you New Owners the same. It has been a... hoot.

Photos: Nevada, Montana, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Utah, Nebraska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0887.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	369043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1992.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	369044  

Name:	DSCN2148.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	369045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2174.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	369046  

Name:	DSCN2225.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	369047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2289.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	369048  

Name:	DSCN2296.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	369049   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0136.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	369050  

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	369051  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2006 23 foot Safari- WHY the Blues?

We enjoyed our 2006 23 foot Safari very much.

It was 7 1/2 feet wide, narrower than the other models at 8 feet.

It was a Double Axle. It had decent Fresh, Grey and Black water Tanks.

It could be towed with a 4.7L 2006 with shell and the later 2008 5.7L Toyota 4x4 pickup with shell, best. The 2006 was borderline as a combination. The 2008, more than enough with the 2006 23 foot Airstream.

The 2008 5.7L Tundra 4x4 with shell... easy towing, easy braking, lots of pickup storage, an absolutely wonderful match and the Tundra was also an every day driver. Never needed any warranty work on the Tundra.

The mistake that Airstream Jackson Center made were the axles were for 14 inch tires, Load Range C. I went through three sets of tires. The fourth set about the time we sold the 23 footer.

The Goodyear Marathons were fair with one blowout, the Hi Run tires lasted from Rawlins, Wyoming to Salt Lake City before you could see the tread changing shape when stopped at a Rest Area. Their dealer rep in Rock Springs said "The trailer was over loaded." (Walmart now sells HiRun's for flat bed trailers. Wrong tire for a travel trailer.)

Bought Tow Max Load Range C tires from Les Schwab in Salt Lake City, Utah that were fine in 14 inch and wore them down enough to replace. No complaint.

Bought Tow Master Load Range C tires from Costco. No complaint. May have purchased four more while towing with the 5.7L Tundra. We had Michelin tires on the Tundra.

There was a US auto that used the same Zero offset wheel that fit the lug pattern on the 2006 Airstream, that were 15 inch. By the time I researched 15 inch tires... Marathon D Rated... all of the used wheels had been sold. They must have bought them from a dealer who upgraded the wheels and wholesaled them to the local Denver wheel outlet. Anyways... gone. (:

The 14 inch wheels and Load Range C tires were just a constant worry. Just a bad combination on an Airstream Trailer. Better for a flat bed hauling a lawn mower kind of tire.

Thus the 25 foot double axle Airstream International with Load Range D Maraton tires in 15 inch. They wore quickly and the tread was not much when new. Making me worry, but did not have any problems... but Marathon experience with the 14's did come to mind.

I upgraded the 25 foot to 16 inch Sendels and 16 LTX Michelins with a 2012 Tundra with Michelins and later with the F350 Diesel that had Michelin tires from the Ford dealership, off the lot. I was ONE HAPPY Airstream owner.

Finally great tow trucks, although the 2012 Tundra was borderline with the 25 foot loaded for camping, but never one issue.

Traded in the 2012 5.7L 4x4 Crew Max Tundra for a 2016 Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 and cash difference with a check. They wanted to sell this Diesel F350, as the new models were being delivered and whatever the trade in and cash difference... even Nancy was happy. The truck sales woman almost cried from frustration. She even dressed up on the second day ready to close, I walked away to look at other trucks on the lot... just to add a bit of... additional buyer changing their mind and maybe... walking. We came to an agreement, they added additional trade in value to the Tundra to make their books work out. ME Them.

But they made a sale and we love the F350. A Tank of a truck, Diesel needs oil changes and DEF... and WAY more hoses than I could imagine that could... go wrong. But so far at 43,000 miles... love it. I change my own oil, filter and fuel line filters. The service garage want way too much... and this oil is DIRTY STUFF. Synthetic oil and just a whole new kind of engine to work with.

Getting Bored? Good. This is possibly good information and I already have the F350 and now the 27 foot International combination that is FANTASTIC.

We sold the 25 foot, kept the F350. Going to get back to dry camping in a tent. Froze our buttocks off in New Mexico, crawling in and out with Two Blue Heelers wanting to sleep in, like the trailer... we were no longer liking MY idea of we becoming TENT CAMPERS... again. Bad decision of my believing 70 was the new 45 retired young kind of person. My back ached in the sleeping bag with air mattress.

It would have killed us. Nancy did not say a word... I said plenty to satisfy her things were going to happen.

One morning at home, I woke up, told Nancy... WE are going to Las Vegas Airstream to look at another trailer.

WE DID buy the trailer after inspecting ALL options for HOURS. Every tiny detail from rivets to AC's operating.

Added Solar. Added a 3 inch lift kit. Got the Equalizer Hitch. AGM batteries and a 100% perfect operational Airstream off their lot. Happy with the price and total cost. Which for me... was like someone giving me a trailer to use for, well not free... but I was not complaining... much.

I added five 16 inch Sendel wheels, five 16 inch Michelin LTX and now a set of Agilis (not sure of spelling) and NEVER LOOKING BACK. Sold the 15 inch Goodyears on Craigslist to the first customer. The new Goodyears looked very nice, now. Had tread you could really see and E Rated. Somehow...

This 27 foot International makes up for the... boo hoo hoo and now the 23 foot is a good memory, with photographs. As well as the 25 foot which was wonderful and sold to the first looker in Boulder City.

IF YOU are looking for advice on a Tow Vehicle and Trailer combo for Off the Grid Boondocking, toss out questions. Boondockers follow this Thread. Many have long memories and experience. You hear my story. I regret selling the 25 foot International, but the 3 inch lift kit on the 27 foot makes it all worth while.

The End. I hope.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

King George , Virginia
Can you elaborate on your boondocks experience with 25ft vs 27 ft?

I'm wondering if the 25 let you go places that the 27 would not or do you consider them equivalent when going off the pavement?

Comments on fitting the two models into National Parks if you have experience there?

Thanks.
GeorgeKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Almost cried from frustration and even dressed up.
Genius!
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKG View Post
Can you elaborate on your boondocks experience with 25ft vs 27 ft?

I'm wondering if the 25 let you go places that the 27 would not or do you consider them equivalent when going off the pavement?

Comments on fitting the two models into National Parks if you have experience there?

Thanks.
Back from Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana Off the Grid Boondocking... and some just glamping in parking areas.

Outside of National Parks you will be OK with either. A 23 foot would be the easiest. Once you get into 25 and larger... the spaces for that size of RV Bus and Airstream become far and few.

Many of these places were designed and built decades ago.

If you plan to have a 25 to a 28 foot (the 27 is said to be 28 feet), call in advance and to camp IN National Park facilities... check ahead. I would say the National Park System is about to go automobile traffic only and no camping other than tents. They need to 'replan' their facilities to the massive space left to over growth and nothing to add to the 'experience'.

Our 27 foot 2019 has more storage, but the 25 foot would have given us as much pleasure. Climb into an Airstream at the dealer's lot... do not look at the length. Sit back, try the bed arrangement. You may not notice the 25 foot or 27 foot difference in 'living space'.

The 27 require MORE TOW VEHICLE. Then... go from there.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

King George , Virginia
Thank you for the response.

Tow weight and purchase cost or not big drivers for us in making this decision between 25 and 27. We have spent time in both models at the dealer. I like the north-south orientation of the bed in the 27FBQ along with the additional interior storage. 25FBQ has easier access to the outside storage a little better orientation of toilet relative to vanity cabinet.

We were leaning towards the 25FBQ but it looks like the 2 feet difference in length doesn’t make much of a difference in site availability.

Thanks again for your insight relative to Boondocking.

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Back from Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana Off the Grid Boondocking... and some just glamping in parking areas.

Outside of National Parks you will be OK with either. A 23 foot would be the easiest. Once you get into 25 and larger... the spaces for that size of RV Bus and Airstream become far and few.

Many of these places were designed and built decades ago.

If you plan to have a 25 to a 28 foot (the 27 is said to be 28 feet), call in advance and to camp IN National Park facilities... check ahead. I would say the National Park System is about to go automobile traffic only and no camping other than tents. They need to 'replan' their facilities to the massive space left to over growth and nothing to add to the 'experience'.

Our 27 foot 2019 has more storage, but the 25 foot would have given us as much pleasure. Climb into an Airstream at the dealer's lot... do not look at the length. Sit back, try the bed arrangement. You may not notice the 25 foot or 27 foot difference in 'living space'.

The 27 require MORE TOW VEHICLE. Then... go from there.

Grech RV Strada Ion Tour on Sprinter 3500XD
(This is a great forum even for non-Interstate vans)
GeorgeKG is offline   Reply With Quote