RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #161
AlphaStream

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Chadron , Nebraska
I will keep watch on this thread. I would like to catch up with anyone boondocking. I’m too new (still a newbie) to plan an undertaking of this size.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
AlphaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaStream View Post
I will keep watch on this thread. I would like to catch up with anyone boondocking. I’m too new (still a newbie) to plan an undertaking of this size.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Keep the number between 4 and 50 trailers and you will do fine.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Yep. Having gotten comfortable with the AS for the last year and a half, and now wishing to hit the trails and out-of-the way places on extended trips, and would love to have been able to have partaken of that. Sorry I missed out on it.
Hope you'll reconsider it.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
I am constantly asked by new trailer owners... "what can I do to prepare for Boondocking?"

My response... "have you any camping experience?" The answer is usually, very little.

Greenhorn Boondocking an Airstream is not a natural extension of trailer ownership. Camping experience IS the foundation of Airstream Boondocking and essential for Off the Grid Boondocking. Without any tent or camped in the back of a pickup truck with shell... you have a long way to go.

Your Airstream is fully capable of providing all the necessary facilities that any other trailer is capable. With few improvements a factory Airstream can be even more off the asphalt road worthy. Current models are being improved as I type.

For many, Boondocking is misunderstood. Camped at a campground is not Boondocking in my opinion, but many consider it so. To separate what I consider Boondocking is adding 'Off the Grid'. You, your trailer, your tow vehicle are dependent on one another. If one fails to meet this challenge, confusion, panic in some cases and an uncomfortable experience is created.

Depending on one's self is a scarce commodity in today's highly social wireless connected society. When the bond of cell phone service, internet and reliable communication are not available, one is dependent on themselves. Maybe for the first time in years. This is what separates the Boondocker from the Off the Grid Boondocker, without provided facilities or minimal facilities at the most.

It is a learned experience and not an innate behavior that comes naturally.

- Stocking the pantry is important beginning.
- Access to maps that are detailed for the area you plan to visit.
- Becoming competent in backing up your trailer into confined campsites.
- Understanding that you are not the top of the food chain and handling trash properly is very important.
- Being prepared for the worst possible situations... what if your tow vehicle's battery was drained by your leaving the headlights on overnight.
- Capable of the use and handling of a firearm is important for remote campsites.

IF you want to Boondock OTG... sit down and list your concerns and post them on this Thread. Many following this Thread are on their way to OTG independence. They are eager to assist those who have the fortitude and confidence to attempt such an experience.

Not everyone has the personality to adapt to an independent OTG experience. It is not for everyone. I have encountered some individuals who should never go into the back country on their own. Being a dependent personality is not a Boondocking trait to success.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjansen View Post
Also interested in 2017 . Would like to help but do not know of any places to boondock.
Castle Rock, / Denver, CO. 21' Sovereign 1995.

Stand in the street, look towards the horizon in any direction, put your lips together and whistle.

You now know the 'Secret of Boondocking'. It is everywhere.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Stand in the street, look towards the horizon in any direction, put your lips together and whistle.

You now know the 'Secret of Boondocking'. It is everywhere.
I can't whistle very well anymore, so can I use the little orange whistle that I use to call the dog? Otherwise I'll have to limit myself to the Walmart parking lot.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Thank you, Ray, for that thought-provoking reply.
You are very correct, of course, and not to make this into a "personal resume'" response...but only to add to your good comments for further consideration of other interested parties....
My own background begins back in the late '50's thru the 60's when my father kept me involved in Boy Scouting back when it was truly scouting...
...we went on 20-50 mile hikes, overnighting and eating what we brought or gathered on the hike and preparing it over real campfires. After 4 years of that I became a counselor at the original El Rancho Cima scout ranch in the Hill Country of Texas, and in my 3rd year of that I was THE originator of "Ranger-Camp" (later named "explorer/ranger camp), in which 18-year-old myself would take kids and their city-bound scoutmasters upon a one-week hike over rough country subsisting on what we could pack on burros and forage on the trail. Fires were started using flint/steel and cedar-bark/charred-cloth. Shelters built from locally available materials on the trail. The trail originally was not blazed...that being the duty of the first-time troops who were bold enough to make the attempt.
The burros carried the cast iron dutch ovens, axes, picks/shovels, and other tools as well as the staples (flour, sugar, etc.). All participants backpacked their personal kits (ground cloth, sleeping bag, poncho, spare clothing, etc.)
Water was found in springs and purified using halazone, bleach or by boiling.
All food was "scratch"....no pre-cooked or prepared items (unless you consider Bisquick disqualifying ..LOL), with the exception of powdered eggs/milk and some canned and dried meat. (Not all city-dwellers will eat what nature provides and the camp wanted troops to return in subsequent years.) Foraging was practiced on a limited scale, mostly for the educational experience.
All campsite items, latrines, tables/chairs/tenting-supports, etc were roughed-out of gathered materials and lashed using binder's twine and ropes used were made using twisted-twine countertwisted and bound by hand. It was entirely the intent to teach city-kids and their supervisors how to "pioneer" in the purest sense available within the week to ten-days available and give them a memorable experience. I was the original "ranger-counselor" and the entire program continued for several years after my two-year service in young adulthood. Visiting the camp again last year was an eye-opener for me. Scouting today is in the high-tech/wireless age, and the original river-camp and individual resourcefulness is now history. (One reason the "river camp" has been abandoned at El Rancho Cima is that a wealthy Mexican now owns neighboring property and automatic weapons firing is practiced on his property. The scouts and campers had to relocated to avoid the sounds and hazards of that neighboring ranch. The big, old brass Union-Pacific locomotive bell which my own Troop 60 of Houston donated in 1956 as a camp fire-bell was apparently used as a target-of-opportunity and has been permanently damaged by center-fire projectiles. It is at the old campsite "Triangle-Three" which is no closer than 500 yards to the camp boundary on the Blanco river.)
Anyway.... "boondocking" to me means OTG also, and doing it with an Airstream is almost disqualifying... if it weren't for my age. LOL.
I still hope another boot-camp develops. Thanks again.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Boxite... it takes someone like yourself to help fillet Armadillo, roast over the campfire and not think it was a turtle of some sort. Southern Missouri, Arkansas and Texas already know what I mean. My New York mother in law, school teacher, would not consider armadillo was anything but a... large tortoise.

I volunteered to help out at a Texas boy scout camp and Armadillo was THE menu. A bit tough, but I liked the Army food at Mineral Wells, Texas better. This was in 1969 and sounds more like your Explorer group.

Enjoying history and having a large variety of 19th Century exploration books of the western USA, gives one pause if times get tough, we will be surpassed by the tribes in the Amazon Jungles, who have not become dependent upon the Food Chain to our doorstep.

The San Blas Indians in the Canal Zone still were living in large round thatched huts with dirt floors in 1958. Military Brats searched the jungles for whatever adventures were available, while the howling monkeys would drive one... nuts. The hard packed jungle trails with machete maintenance made great baseball players out of all of us.

I did have the opportunity as a youngster to live at a time when cabins without running water, electricity and a round galvanized tub for bathing. Northwestern Montana is just as beautiful today, as it was in the 1950's, but with modern accommodations. Our old homestead is now a public marina and swimming area.

It does not take much to go from this to an Airstream... anywhere. It was not until first grade I discovered the school did not use an outhouse restroom. When the first escalator was operating at a store, on the south end of Flathead Lake,... we had to check it out.

Not everyone had the opportunity to really live in the Wilds of the West. Someday, just try something outside your comfort zone of civilization. I really do not miss these early living experiences, as I had no options. A trailer like our Airstream would have provided more than enough!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #169
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Southport , North Carolina
Count us in also...NC costal area.
Silversands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A little off the grid but West of Scottsbluf Neb. is Guernsey Wy. Register cliff is just out side of town where wagons went on Oregon trail pioneers scratched there names and where they were from and ruts in solid rock from wagons. In center of town is monument to pony express as also was there, Other side of rail yard at one time largest open pit iron ore mine then went to slope as vein went deeper. In 1960 they used full sized locomotives to enter mine under ground to bring ore out. I don't no if still working or not as I worked there for rail road in 1960. Also between Scottsbluf is Laramie wy. and old fort laramie but don't remember where but was there. As other person referred to other sites there is lots of history that area. To much to list as this a little long posting. I worked with the person that was leading authority on pony xpress and Oregon trail writing several books and lecturing at colleges
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Greenhorning Western Nebraska 2017

Featherbedder knows the Oregon Trail rather well. Him and I might have been dropped off as infants during the last 'wagon train' heading to... Oregon Buttes, Wyoming for a short stop on the way to Oregon Territory, at the time.

I was given a Watling Rol-a-Top slot machine cabinet from the mid 1930's by the man who owned the local theatre in Guernsey, Wyoming. Today, probably worth $1,500, as it was like new, but the mechanism was removed many years ago to be 'legally possessed' at the time. I sold it for what it cost me for one month's rent in Laramie, Wyoming going to the University... Weirder things can happen while Boondocking in a tent or trailer.

If AlphaStream can be persuaded to head a Greenhorn Boondocking School in Northwestern Nebraska... I would not resist in helping Jo set things up. She was a totally capable person at the First Greenhorn Boondocking School on her own. This applied to several others than came along for the experience of Taylor Reservoir in the Colorado High Country.

Just so SHE is aware... I will start a Thread that will no doubt get her attention. She actually lives in this part of Nebraska.

Of all the places I have camped, western Nebraska has always been my favorite tent camping site AND now Trailer camping site for Adventure in the Nebraska Badlands. I have not been there for a number of years.