Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, confidence comes from doing, and feeling secure and safe in varying circumstances with a wide variety of people comes from having those experiences.

Boondocking for the first time is a huge leap of faith, also an incredibly freeing experience as you rely only on yourself and what is within your rig.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2021, 05:08 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Springfield , Virginia
Three Types

is boondocking safe....it depends on the person doing it. Use common sense, be prepared for consequences of being off the grid and its as safe as one wants to make it.

In my experience there are three types of people.....wolves, sheep and sheepdogs. Wolves prey on sheep, sheepdogs protect. If I were a sheep, I would hang around with a sheepdog....even though they sometimes have a sheading problem.

Remember that a democracy is three wolves and a sheep deciding on what to have for lunch....if one is a sheep, work towards keeping us a Republic!

V/r

Pete
Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #123
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I don’t know anyone that’s eager to test their shooting skills on a bad person. Everyone wants to truly avoid that situation. I think Australia would have a lot lower gun crime statistics with or without gun control laws. We like to boondock, hopefully we always will. I’m not a gun guy, but one night in CO parked alone by a river, my lovely wife woke me up and said someone is out there.. I had a steak knife in the AS, that was it. I took a class, bought a handgun, practiced with it, and really really hope I never need it.
I think our visitor that night was a raccoon, but my lovely wife still isn’t sure. She feels a bit safer now.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #124
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Depending on where you're boondocking, what you do during the day, and what happens, probably the most dangerous thing for the typical ASer is not the lurking "bad guy with a gun" but a first aid emergency.

As was discussed above, even if you can phone 911 right away (which is not a given in the back-of-beyond) it can take a while for help to arrive.

An up-to-date first aid course and big first aid kit are highly recommended.

Then just let somebody in civilization know where you are going, and the date by which they should expect to hear from you when you're back on the pavement.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Depending on where you're boondocking, what you do during the day, and what happens, probably the most dangerous thing for the typical ASer is not the lurking "bad guy with a gun" but a first aid emergency.

As was discussed above, even if you can phone 911 right away (which is not a given in the back-of-beyond) it can take a while for help to arrive.

An up-to-date first aid course and big first aid kit are highly recommended.

Then just let somebody in civilization know where you are going, and the date by which they should expect to hear from you when you're back on the pavement.
Agreed. But the various precautions discussed are not mutually exclusive.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:04 AM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Springfield , Virginia
“Depending on where you're boondocking, what you do during the day, and what happens, probably the most dangerous thing for the typical ASer is not the lurking "bad guy with a gun" but a first aid emergency.“

Excellent point which I concur with. Biggest issue is that the farther one is in the boondocks the less of the golden hour one has available. I keep a ruck sized first aid kit but I lack a defibrillator which I am considering picking up.

I do a bit of sailing and the same risks apply when doing blue water crossings. What we use there are emergency rescue beacons which are available as Marine supply stores. Overkill of one is doing mild boon docking in areas with cellular coverage but essential if one is truly in the middle of nowhere!

There is an old saying for sailors which goes something like this....”.a sailboat in the harbor is safe....but that is not what a sailboat is meant for”......after all our trailers are noted to be Land Yachts!

V/r

Pete
Old 02-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
It only takes one.

You can be prepared, or not. Your choice.

This is the winning answer (quote above)

I will choose what makes sense for me and my family, and I leave it to others to make that choice for themselves. I will also not disparage people for making a different choice than me.

Taking people’s choices away isn’t what the United States was founded on, though some people are itching to do just that.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I don’t know anyone that’s eager to test their shooting skills on a bad person. Everyone wants to truly avoid that situation. I think Australia would have a lot lower gun crime statistics with or without gun control laws. We like to boondock, hopefully we always will. I’m not a gun guy, but one night in CO parked alone by a river, my lovely wife woke me up and said someone is out there.. I had a steak knife in the AS, that was it. I took a class, bought a handgun, practiced with it, and really really hope I never need it.
I think our visitor that night was a raccoon, but my lovely wife still isn’t sure. She feels a bit safer now.
Australia now has virtually zero gun crimes (the very few that happen are usually intergang killings).

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opini...australia.html

Collyn
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post
Australia now has virtually zero gun crimes (the very few that happen are usually intergang killings).

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opini...australia.html

Collyn

All joking aside, that really is great. Australia is an awesome country with fantastic people.

What I truly wish is for people in the US who are so against our founding principles to identify countries that better align to their values and emigrate there. Australia would be an ideal choice for many left leaning friends of mine.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #130
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
All joking aside, that really is great. Australia is an awesome country with fantastic people.

What I truly wish is for people in the US who are so against our founding principles to identify countries that better align to their values and emigrate there. Australia would be an ideal choice for many left leaning friends of mine.
I fully understand what you're saying, but isn't one of the other founding principles of the US the freedom to petition the government?

Something to consider - people don't complain about things they don't care about. When someone complains or points out things they see as faults in our country, it's a sign that they care.

Not sure about others, but I'd rather have people care about where they live even if they disagree with me and make their disagreement heard. There's plenty of room in this country for people with varying viewpoints, and I for one don't want to live somewhere that has strict limitations on expressing opposing viewpoints, regardless of which side of the issue they take.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #131
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I fully understand what you're saying, but isn't one of the other founding principles of the US the freedom to petition the government?

Something to consider - people don't complain about things they don't care about. When someone complains or points out things they see as faults in our country, it's a sign that they care.

Not sure about others, but I'd rather have people care about where they live even if they disagree with me and make their disagreement heard. There's plenty of room in this country for people with varying viewpoints, and I for one don't want to live somewhere that has strict limitations on expressing opposing viewpoints, regardless of which side of the issue they take.

We likely don’t disagree. Sadly, there is a large group of people in the US today that think if you disagree with them, you are evil. Cancel Culture is real, and is the opposite of freedom of speech. They want to change our founding principles, including our right to bear arms. I welcome vigorous debate and respect for differing opinion.

Who I was referring to in the prior post on emigration are those people that don’t, and want to prevent people from making choices that are different from theirs, and punish those who don’t fall in line with their philosophies. I am willing to fight against that by whatever means necessary.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #132
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

State your 'founding' right side principles?
I bet they're the same as my left side principles.🤔
Interpretation, that is the bug in the stew.

Live with it...or, as you say, leave.

"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag."
-- Molly Ivins

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
If'n we don't leave the politics alone this will be another thread that gets shutdown.

Back to boondocking, tips, tricks, helpful hints, safety and awareness.

Hittenstiehl
Old 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Spokane , Washington
Yes, it’s up to you: be prepared or not.. fact is there are preditors, many of us are older and even in the best circumstances you can’t rely on government to protect you from them... in fact quite the opposite. When you have been a victim of violent crime you understand it exists and it isn’t always the other guy who suffers. Be alert and have a plan. Don’t make it easy for the bad guys.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
This is the winning answer (quote above)

I will choose what makes sense for me and my family, and I leave it to others to make that choice for themselves. I will also not disparage people for making a different choice than me.

Taking people’s choices away isn’t what the United States was founded on, though some people are itching to do just that.
+1 on that
Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #136
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
+1 on that
As long as the choice options are there to choose, for all. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
I agree with a well stocked first aid kit, We were traveling From Creston BC towards Spokane in US when we came across a group of motor cycles stopped on road. One of the riders had gone off road and hit stone wall in the ditch. We closed the highway and called 911. He was bleeding and we carefully supporting his neck,took off his helmet. His face shield had broken and a piece of his face shield was impairing his airway, we were able to remove that so he could breathe. As it turned out he had a stroke,but was able to stabilize him until ambulance arrived. He survived and we kept bleeding to a minimum, very thankful for my enhanced first aid kit.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:01 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
If'n we don't leave the politics alone this will be another thread that gets shutdown.
. . .
That would be unfortunate IMO.

The "Community Rules" are available via the link at the bottom of every page, in the blue menu bar:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/mis...ork&page=rules
Old 02-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #139
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
I agree with a well stocked first aid kit, We were traveling From Creston BC towards Spokane in US when we came across a group of motor cycles stopped on road. One of the riders had gone off road and hit stone wall in the ditch. We closed the highway and called 911. He was bleeding and we carefully supporting his neck,took off his helmet. His face shield had broken and a piece of his face shield was impairing his airway, we were able to remove that so he could breathe. As it turned out he had a stroke,but was able to stabilize him until ambulance arrived. He survived and we kept bleeding to a minimum, very thankful for my enhanced first aid kit.
You've been a Good Samaritan! (Who also has some first aid training.)

You probably know that Creston is on the International Selkirk Loop-- a scenic drive through the Idaho panhandle, northeastern Washington, and British Columbia.

It is normally very popular with motorcycle riders. Unfortunately they sometimes take the curves too fast.

When the border re-opens at some point, we also recommend it for Streamers.

But Americans: do check the Canadian customs regulations very carefully on bringing firearms to Canada before packing heat. Small handguns for self-protection are not allowed. If you're taking such firearms through to Alaska, there are still strict regulations to follow that involve going through a broker and having them shipped, ready to be picked up at the Alaska border. It's OK to take hunting rifles into Canada, provided you can demonstrate with paperwork that you've booked a legitimate hunting trip.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

I forget which Canadian government website I saw this on, but basically the strict rules & regs are to keep Canadians safe from armed Americans!

Not sure what the "love it or leave it" stuff is about. Most people love their country; but they may love it differently than their neighbours do.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:50 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:

This is indeed so. My previously American business partner and his wife are two such! We currently do have a right-wing govt - but it would not be seen as that by many in the USA!

I too am not sure what the "love it or leave it" stuff is about. One surely cannot (maybe even should not) love everything about one's country.

I, for example, would like to see more female politicians - New Zealand for example has a female PM.

Collyn