Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I did encounter this Silver Tipped grizzly outside Banff few years back, while driving at 6am, few miles from our campsite...also saw this young grizzly in MT couple years back...wheres mom? Then there was the encounter the wife had with a huge grasshopper outside Borrego Springs...(well, that one was staged)...but, when camping, always be prepared...never know what you might run into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvertip Grizzly.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	388157   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 year grizz by 2 medicine (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	388158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	desert pics borrego.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	388159  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I think that grasshopper is the big threat [emoji6]
Old 02-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Anyone have any real world experience using one of the Garmin inReach units to stay in touch with the world while camping in remote areas? They seem like a good piece of kit to carry for safety reasons when off the beaten path, but it's hard to tell from their advertising just how useful they actually are.
There are a number of threads/posts about units like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grmi...=airforums.com

Here are some of those threads:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f50...ng-159420.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...ne-190236.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ng-192614.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...es-202470.html

Travel safe,
Old 02-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Thank you, Hittenstiehl and OTRA15.
. . .
I thought of your courage, and personal integrity, when this song came on this morning . . .

[click on URL for Full Screen etc. options]

Studio version: https://youtu.be/15Fk6bUFNOI
David LaMotte cover live: https://youtu.be/U8H0wbdxbAM
Sara Hickman cover: https://youtu.be/AAx7j7DySLg

Was it Robert Louis Stephenson who wrote this?

"A risk-less life is a pallid thing" . . . about our shared need for "brisk living" . . . ?

Travel safe . . . and . . .
Old 02-06-2021, 06:13 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
That's one of our strategies.

These people were in an Airstream...

Killer quickly convicted for slaughtering 6 at East Texas campsite

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...oUGrtjAwkithZH
If someone of 6, had a gun, it may have ended differently.
Couldnt have ended any worse for those 6.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Fremont , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Legally carrying a firearm for personal protection is not a bad thing. The key there is legally. ......And I’m pretty sure it’s illegal in all National Parks.
Not saying you should or shouldn't, but just wanted to provide this info for National Parks:

"The new law allowing guns in national parks was created as part of the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, which
was approved by Congress and President Barack Obama. It took effect Feb. 22, 2010. Here is the partial text of Section 512, Protecting Americans
from Violent Crimes:
“Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park
System and the National Wildlife Refuge System—The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional
firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if—(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.”

2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT
2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn / 6.4L / 3.73
Old 02-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Full disclosure, I am retired military, have worked in law enforcement, and been a corrections officer in a county jail.
Boondocking is as safe as you make it. It is, by definition, out in the boondocks. If you’re okay with calling 911 and waiting, possibly for hours, while a law enforcement officer tries to find your location, go for it.
On the other hand, if you’re boondocking in a location with an address, the police might only be minutes away.
A predator, whether on four legs or two, is going to ruin your day on his schedule, not yours.
I choose to carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Ultimately YOU are responsible for your own safety.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #88
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
The only problem I have with real serious boondocking (meaning out in the middle of nowhere) is leaving the trailer to go explore etc.. We just left Big Bend NP. There are lots of areas down there to pull off out in the desert. We opted for dry camping in CGs. We have a gun and a dog with us, but if we take off for the day for a hike or bike trip, I don’t want to worry about someone breaking into the trailer, or hauling it off. I figure it’s a bit safer in a campground. Plus, it’s easier. I admit, I like to know. I have a spot waiting. I don’t need water or electric, but a CG host is alright with me. The research to find a true boondocking spot way out in the middle of nowhere on BLM land or in a National Forest takes a little research. I hit the easy button. Just ne though.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 02-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
The only problem I have with real serious boondocking (meaning out in the middle of nowhere) is leaving the trailer to go explore etc.. We just left Big Bend NP. There are lots of areas down there to pull off out in the desert. We opted for dry camping in CGs. We have a gun and a dog with us, but if we take off for the day for a hike or bike trip, I don’t want to worry about someone breaking into the trailer, or hauling it off. I figure it’s a bit safer in a campground. Plus, it’s easier. I admit, I like to know. I have a spot waiting. I don’t need water or electric, but a CG host is alright with me. The research to find a true boondocking spot way out in the middle of nowhere on BLM land or in a National Forest takes a little research. I hit the easy button. Just ne though.
Big Bend is one area that is heavily traveled by illegal's. Actually, last week they said Big Bend had the largest number coming into the US.. Likely don't hear too much of campers being hassled, but I know when we were there last year the trouper I talked with said sometimes they have to set up several impromptu roadblocks to check cars and RV's for this problem... You may never need to use a firearm, but sure is nice knowing you have one should your family need help. IMHO
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by depot44 View Post
Not saying you should or shouldn't, but just wanted to provide this info for National Parks:

"The new law allowing guns in national parks was created as part of the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 . . .
. . .
Are you sure that your summary of this 2009 law is still accurate in February of 2021?
Old 02-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There have been no changes to this law since 2009. In Yellowstone, you can open carry. You cannot enter any Federal buildings with one and, as of 2018 all of the concessionaires had banned firearms as well.

Oddly enough, you can be cited for discharging the weapon. My last season there, some visitors from away decided to hunt ducks (with rifles, no less) on Yellowstone Lake. They got to experience the authentic 1886 jail in Mammoth Hot Springs...
Dismissive cat
Old 02-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I am a firm believer in listening to your “spidey senses”, so much so that my Bride and I each have veto power on where we’re gonna park for the night. No second-guessing or discussion, we just move on to the next place to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
There have been no changes to this law since 2009. In Yellowstone, you can open carry. You cannot enter any Federal buildings with one and, as of 2018 all of the concessionaires had banned firearms as well.

Oddly enough, you can be cited for discharging the weapon. My last season there, some visitors from away decided to hunt ducks (with rifles, no less) on Yellowstone Lake. They got to experience the authentic 1886 jail in Mammoth Hot Springs...
Duck hunting with rifles? Dangerous idiots. Fire a rifle into the air and the round can travel miles and hit whatever...they should have thrown those guys UNDER the jail.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
They were not the brightest bulbs in the string...
Dismissive cat
Old 02-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #94
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Always find it just a little bit amusing that people who bravely travel the roads in vehicles at 70mph without giving the well-documented and very real risks a second thought, some without even wearing seat belts. suddenly turn into fraidy-cats at the thought of boondocking.

As for the old "one good man with a gun..." chestnut, seems to me they are never around when the bad men are.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 02-07-2021, 05:14 AM   #95
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Fremont , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Are you sure that your summary of this 2009 law is still accurate in February of 2021?

Yes, for example, see the Firearms in National Parks section of this Acadia NP rules page.

https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvis...egulations.htm

2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT
2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn / 6.4L / 3.73
Old 02-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Always find it just a little bit amusing that people who bravely travel the roads in vehicles at 70mph without giving the well-documented and very real risks a second thought, some without even wearing seat belts. suddenly turn into fraidy-cats at the thought of boondocking.

As for the old "one good man with a gun..." chestnut, seems to me they are never around when the bad men are.
No more a ‘fraidy-cat’ than the guy (me) who buys insurance, has a TPMS system, etc. it’s just a matter of being prepared and hoping it’s not needed. You do occasionally read about the “good guy with a Gun”. Just don’t expect to see it highlighted on the nightly news.....
Old 02-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #97
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Big Bend is one area that is heavily traveled by illegal's. Actually, last week they said Big Bend had the largest number coming into the US.. Likely don't hear too much of campers being hassled, but I know when we were there last year the trouper I talked with said sometimes they have to set up several impromptu roadblocks to check cars and RV's for this problem... You may never need to use a firearm, but sure is nice knowing you have one should your family need help. IMHO
I was warned by a friend before going to BB that they were having problems with RVs way out in the boondocks getting broken into.
On another note, we went by several immigration check stations that were closed.. I just really like that area, so we will go back. Hopefully there won’t be any serious problems in the future.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 02-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
If someone of 6, had a gun, it may have ended differently.
Couldnt have ended any worse for those 6.
But note the killer had a connection to the family. Crazy, yes, but not a random killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Dangerous idiots. Fire a rifle into the air and the round can travel miles and hit whatever...they should have thrown those guys UNDER the jail.
Reminds me of L.A. on New Year's Eve. I was on Figueroa near USC. I probably heard 1000 rounds of ammo within 15 minutes, and not pop guns. Full auto, big caliber, everything. We stayed under cover.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
But note the killer had a connection to the family. Crazy, yes, but not a random killing.

Reminds me of L.A. on New Year's Eve. I was on Figueroa near USC. I probably heard 1000 rounds of ammo within 15 minutes, and not pop guns. Full auto, big caliber, everything. We stayed under cover.
You sure that was New Years Eve?? That sounds like a normal night in that area, last few years!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #100
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
OTRA, thank you so much for that beautiful acknowledgement and song.

We don't often know how our lives might intersect with someone else's life, however briefly, in a way that rescues us or them.

We typically err on the side of caution-- perhaps too much so, too often, in wildland situations.

But here is a great quotation, attributed to Sheryl Sandberg:

"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"
Closed Thread