Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Saw mention of being outside of cell service, if we boondocked more I would definitely get a Satellite phone. They are reasonably priced as are the plans (compared with 10 years ago). Text only are the least expensive, and some plans let you disconnect and then reconnect at any time (for a one month minimum). On another note, when we leave to go on a hike, I put a note in the window, one version of which is "Dave- Went on a short hike and I have your rifle".

If you are not experienced with firearms, please don't buy one just to have it, you need training, experience and thousands of rounds of practice to be useful and safe.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post

If you are not experienced with firearms, please don't buy one just to have it, you need training, experience and thousands of rounds of practice to be useful and safe.
+1 on that. That’s a big responsibility. If you don’t plan to be proficient with a firearm get a baseball bat instead.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We haven't had any issues boondocking, but I always ensure that I am adequately prepared to deal with unfriendlies, whether four-legged or two-legged.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 01-31-2021, 09:38 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Yuma , Arizona
Been RVing since 1978. Never had a problem anywhere. We use campgrounds and boondocking. Overnite spots in shopping centers, truck stops and wayside rests. I have an double barrel 10gauge that my grandfather bought used in the 1800s and that it. That's my only weapon and it is in my shop somewhere. You need to get out of the big city mentality and enjoy life.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Home Away From Home

Like others, used to take firearm, but left at home now. Some folks take a recording of a barking dog. Don’t forget to take a good hitch lock like The Vault. You don’t want to come back from an outing and find your home gone. We’ve never had problems, but no use looking for one.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
......I posted a link to the YouTube family "Finding our Someday" who boondock a lot. Not only do they scope out the road, but also send up a drone to look ahead....
would you mind reposting that link here?
Old 01-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
would you mind reposting that link here?
sure.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navodlum1 View Post
Thanks for all the information. We look forward to trying new "off the beaten path" areas. I do like the bear spray idea!
As long as the bear spray is used for bears.Its illegal to spray a human with it.Can cause blindness.Its designed to use on a charging bear/ mountain lion/ Pit bull/ etc, should you be in a bad situation like that.
Mace Brand Gel Pepper spray is very effective.Sprays a 15 foot plus solid stream.Not affected by wind.
Carry it on your belt, things happen very fast.Its no good in the glove compartment.Ive had to use it twice on Pit Bulls.It works.
It's what cops use, for humans/ dogs/ etc..Sabre brand also, good stuff.Rule #1 is keep threats at a distance.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Springfield , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Saw mention of being outside of cell service, if we boondocked more I would definitely get a Satellite phone. They are reasonably priced as are the plans (compared with 10 years ago). Text only are the least expensive, and some plans let you disconnect and then reconnect at any time (for a one month minimum). On another note, when we leave to go on a hike, I put a note in the window, one version of which is "Dave- Went on a short hike and I have your rifle".

Satellite phones are a lot less expensive now but I would consider getting a SPOT system. I recently sailed from Virginia to Antigua in the West Indies and the SPOT system enabled all our cell phones to text anywhere in the world. It was much less expensive than our Iridium based capability in regards to data. Another boating related device is a PLT (personnel location transmitter) it basically puts out a SOS from anywhere in the world. Costs about $300 and there is no charge for use....needs to be replaced every 3-4 years due to battery but even after that time they will still work...but for shorter durations.

V/r

Pete
Old 01-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
A safety reality check

Have been boon docking since the late 60's.

While it is true society has changed. What has not changed is where the danger is in boon docking. Keep in mind I am coming from the boon docking in the Mojave mind set.

People are not the problem with safety. Never met an overtly dangerous person or situation.

Where you are at risk of injury or loss of life are things like. Snakebite, Falling and being too injured to return to camp. Vehicle breakdown and being stranded. Heat, sun, lack of food or water.

The desert will kill you if you do not think before you move or act or if you did not bring the things you need to survive.

The best piece of equipment I could recommend to you for safety is a satellite phone. If you can call for help and survive until it gets there you have a chance.

Sure bring guns and enjoy yourself plinking and target shooting but a gun is probably the last piece of equipment you will need for safety. No harm to have it but sit and think for a bit and you will realize there are more important things you need for safety. Water, food, first aid kit, Sat phone.

Go out and boondocks and have a great time but be careful. Would really suck to have a rock roll underfoot and then slide down a hill.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Great question.
This previous thread had close to 17,000 views and nearly 150 posts and if you are interested in the discussion, it may be worth looking at:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...ty-202614.html
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
As long as the bear spray is used for bears.Its illegal to spray a human with it.Can cause blindness.Its designed to use on a charging bear/ mountain lion/ Pit bull/ etc, should you be in a bad situation like that.
Mace Brand Gel Pepper spray is very effective.Sprays a 15 foot plus solid stream.Not affected by wind.
Carry it on your belt, things happen very fast.Its no good in the glove compartment.Ive had to use it twice on Pit Bulls.It works.
It's what cops use, for humans/ dogs/ etc..Sabre brand also, good stuff.Rule #1 is keep threats at a distance.
Might want to check your source on that. Bear spray in fact IS a legal form of self defense in places where pepper spray is not.Bear spray in fact is less intense than pepper and mace intended for humans because bears’ mucous membranes are more sensitive than humans. It will still however render a would be attacker temporarily useless from up to 30ft away. If you are camping in grizzly country you should have bear spray anyway. If while out hiking or exploring and you hit an armed would be attacker with a blast of bear spray and that’s your only means of defense, I don’t think there is a law enforcement officer on the planet that would fault you.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Annapolis , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have been Airtsreaming for a long time. We have always felt safe in all of our camping venues including boondocking. We always try to be aware of our surroundings and conduct ourselves accordingly.

We also always carry our emergency locator beacon. We have it mainly for hiking, but we do bring it into the Airstream at night. The beacon works regardless of cell phone signal availability.

Brian
Coming from aviation and boating I can say that a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) is a great idea. In addition, consider a Garmin inReach, which allows satellite messaging and calls for help. I don't boondock yet but would definitely get one.

Pete
Old 01-31-2021, 05:45 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
sure.
thanks!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
1) Dog
2) Even a crack head knows the sound of a pump shotgun

Having said that we have never even had a knock on the door. If you don’t feel comfortable-find another spot to camp.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #36
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Define "safe"

Betty and I have a distinct preference for boondocking and not once in 15 years in lots of countries have I felt unsafe from the actions of people.

But we had some great views

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mEUu3ffDGpndrk3i2
Trip map at Spotwalla
Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 PM   #37
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Going camping, I absolutely agree with your approach to safe desert camping.

We love the Mojave, in and around Death Valley. Sorry not to be going down there this winter.

I wonder, how many people pack a serious first aid kit and have some first aid training?

(No offense intended, folks, just my idea of a little joke based on some of the above posts, but maybe knowledge of how to deal with gunshot wounds or bear spray in one's eyes would be helpful.)

Modern communications are way ahead of where they used to be. Trouble is, even if a call connects immediately to 911, it may still take the rescuer several hours to get to you in a remote location.

Also, for people on essential meds, bring a spare supply.

Being prepared just makes your trip more enjoyable.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Might want to check your source on that. Bear spray in fact IS a legal form of self defense in places where pepper spray is not.Bear spray in fact is less intense than pepper and mace intended for humans because bears’ mucous membranes are more sensitive than humans. It will still however render a would be attacker temporarily useless from up to 30ft away. If you are camping in grizzly country you should have bear spray anyway. If while out hiking or exploring and you hit an armed would be attacker with a blast of bear spray and that’s your only means of defense, I don’t think there is a law enforcement officer on the planet that would fault you.
We both agree, that Bear spray is for use on bears.Others in this thread will learn a few things I did also about bear spray.I learned, after doing what you said, checking sources, that both the sprays I described, as well as others cops carry for humans, contain" OC "which is pepper spray.
Bear spray contains OC pepper, but at only 10-20 % of strength that cops carry.You are correct also, that the bear spray is much weaker, with same OC .Its method of delivery is a very wide big cloud, at much greater distance.The bear scents it, and hopefully runs away.Much like a skunk when it sprays,does to other animals, as well as humans.
I had always read on bear spray cans( never used them) that the spray can cause blindness in humans, and not to be used on humans.Possibly because of the heavy pressure/ volume of bear spray delivery system, if hitting humans eyes point blank.
All OC spray, is illegal to use against humans, in Canada ( Bear spray included)It can only be used against bears in Canada legally.
In some United States jurisdictions, any OC spray is classified as a weapon, and is illegal to carry. Like firearms, check your local jurisdiction for carry laws.
I thought that Bear spray, being used against a huge , potentially dangerous animal, would contain a much more powerful mixture, but it doesn't.Same pepper, but much lower concentration.
Here's the main point for people to understand, bear spray would be a weak deterrent for a dangerous criminal type human.Most likely failing to prevent attack.
For instance, in a jail setting, bear spray 9would never be used against dangerous humans, due to being very weak, VS OC sprays designed for cops to carry, which contain 10% OC , with bear spray only containing 1-2 %.of OC pepper concentration.
As with any situation, all threats should be kept at a distance.Thats what all these pepper sprays do.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Bears have much more competent noses: a lower concentration (but in a larger volume) works for them. Police/self-defense OC would be fine against a bear, but it's a smaller volume in a finer stream: the bear versions create a larger cloud so you don't need the level of accuracy. (I mean, I don't 'really' want to get up in a bear's face....)
WBCCI #1051
Old 02-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I like to leave my camper during the day and may travel rather. Anyone have any good strategies to securing the camper? Don't particularly love that Airstreams seam to be a beacon of wealth and goodies to break into or outright tow away.
Closed Thread