Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking: Passing Time

Passing Time while Boondocking for normal people is not that easy. It takes imagination. Darwin and Einstein come to mind.

Don't wear a watch is a beginning. I use the SUN when Boondocking, anyways. At night... I am sleeping and give it no thought, at all. Passing Time is often a phrase offered, when you are at work, doing nothing.

I bought a sling shot at a garage sale. The guy I purchased it from took out a cloth with paint thinner and wiped off all fingerprints and viruses. That was nice of him.

A good one with the medical elastic system. I put up targets and use local pebbles for inexpensive entertainment while Boondocking. Being an excellent side arm baseball pitcher... I understand that anything you use as 'slingshot' ammo that is not perfectly round, or not... does not travel in a straight line when you have an... atmosphere.

On the Moon, I would be better hitting things. Just need to correct for less gravity and no atmosphere.

What do you find to Pass Time after a hard day Boondocking doing...absolutely nothing? Like Passing Time on Friday at work, the day before you leave for vacation.

Many felons are familiar with 'killing time', but passing time is not as ominous.

Passing Gas... has some merit, but will pass on that idea. Blazing Saddles made it appear to be a sport.

What else is out there? If I have exhausted all of the potential options. If you have no idea:

...You need to stay home and leave this to the professionals.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ray,

I sure enjoy reading your thoughts. I’m stuck at home with a broken ankle, and can’t even drive. Sad and this dumb move didn’t help.

Reading fun stuff on air forums and watching entirely to much on the “G-D babble box” is about all I can do right now.

Please keep writing!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Have you guys heard of books??

Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Enjoying the quiet and a couple of cups of coffee while watching the sun come up.

Going for a walk or hike around the area where we’re boondocking.

Reading a book (with paper pages, not Kindle) while sipping a cool drink and enjoying the breeze.

Firing up the grill with a nice hunk of meat and a glass of wine.

Watching the sunset and then in bed by the time it is dark.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Books? You must be kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Have you guys heard of books??

I had a library of 35,000 or more books. It took FOUR 26 foot Penske Diesel trucks to move them from Colorado to Nevada. A total of 540 cartons.

I am keeping maybe 5,000, maybe more, for my... personal use.

I dealt in Technical Books in the Sciences for 15 years selling on the Internet. I dealt with researchers across this Planet to Uranus. Although, only books I found interesting. That way if I could not sell it, I could use it for my own mischief.

You do not read a 1301 page book titled 'Impact and Explosion Cratering- Planetary and Terrestrial Implications" to relax. You do it so you can scare Adults and Children that something BIG is out 'there' and is going to get... you.

I did read Little Big Man. Enjoyed it and the movie. I might read it again, but still remember the first time I read this book. Give it a few years.

Thanks for reminding me of Books. Nancy loves fiction novels. She is normal and reads them when I am going on about some Black Hole shock wave is on its way and we should park the Airstream under some tall trees.

My books just did not work to calm me down. You who enjoy reading... keep it up. Do not ask me what is a good... read. It would probably be some Soil Survey outside of Cody, Wyoming with a colored map.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I fix stuff on the Airstream that broke on the way into the OTG site. Something ALWAYS breaks. Connie reads books to me (I can't read). After that we play a game of Rumikub. Then it's off to bed at the late hour of 8:00.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I enjoy (shore) fishing so that is something that always occupies one or two days of my time. I fish for the challenge. If I catch a lot early, then I start going through the rest of my bait to see what else they're biting on. I never hit my limit because I do catch and release. If I see someone not catching anything I'll mosey over and see if they would like tips/bait and if nothing else I'll offer a fish or two to add to their stringer.

Hiking is something my wife and I both enjoy. A good trail with interesting sights is always fun. Easy trails on the mountain bike are something we both used to do, but not so much lately.

While I enjoy riding the side-by-side, my wife doesn't. So I'll go explore on my own but nothing challenging unless another ATV/UTV is with me. I have no problem latching onto another group of riders. However, I have learned that a group of RZR riders is not like a group of Ranger riders. I can keep up with the RZR riders, but some minor body damage is to be expected.

Breaking out the compound bow is always fun. It's quiet and not intimidating. Trying to hit my field target at 100 yards - a hubris distance for sure - almost always leads to searching for arrows. The crossbow is not quiet but spectators are impressed that I'm on target 99% of the time at 100 yards.

If there is absolutely nobody around I'll break out the Ruger 77/22 and do some plinking. Cleaning up my brass and the rifle seems tedious to some but I find cleaning a gun to be relaxing.

If I plan for it, I use my smoker to do experiments that I wouldn't normally do at home. Last summer it was smoked cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Both came out excellent. Way better than brussel sprouts at home in the kitchen. I need to get my BBQ Guru equipment set up to use on an inverter so I can smoke a small brisket overnight.

If the weather is bad, I always have something to read or I'll work on writing.

Then there are times that I like to just sit there with a cup of coffee and look at the scenery. Sometimes I'll even take a picture.
HRTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
As someone who boondocks in the middle of the desert.

Watch the mountains change color and texture over a day.

Target shooting

Reading

Hiking

Metal detecting

Lizard fishing. Fishing pole no hook just a weight. Cast and reel in. Add beer for real fishing experience.

Airplane ID. Often camp in an area that the airspace is closed to non military aircraft.

Doing absolutely nothing other than breathe.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I had a library of 35,000 or more books.

You do not read a 1301 page book titled 'Impact and Explosion Cratering- Planetary and Terrestrial Implications" to relax. You do it so you can scare Adults and Children that something BIG is out 'there' and is going to get... you.

Thanks for reminding me of Books. Nancy loves fiction novels. She is normal and reads them when I am going on about some Black Hole shock wave is on its way and we should park the Airstream under some tall trees.

My books just did not work to calm me down. You who enjoy reading... keep it up. Do not ask me what is a good... read. It would probably be some Soil Survey outside of Cody, Wyoming with a colored map.
I LOVE reading. Working on my doctorate in English, I couldn't believe that I was reading novels and actually getting graduate CREDIT for it! I would have been reading novels whether I was in classes or not. I will probably load my Caravel over its weight limit with books, but I will be smart about it: only paperbacks!
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
camden , Maine
Useful thread for all of us currently “sheltering in place”, too! Though (so far) we have plentiful power and water and Internet. Reading the forums is high on the list! Books, paper and digital. Music, listening and making. Cooking, trying some new recipes. Too cold still to work on the AS much, but spent time tidying up the gear inventory and making a to-do list.
Two Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Reading (KOBO), eating, drinking (non alcoholic beverages) grilling, swimming, kayaking messing with the AS (doing little thing) summers are precious in the Great White North
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCarol View Post

Reading a book (with paper pages, not Kindle) while sipping a cool drink and enjoying the breeze.
Why not a Kindle? I read several hundred books a year, all types and some are quite heavy. I especially enjoy history, both fiction and non-fiction. And of course Sci-Fi, Mysteries, and everything else. The electronic format, whether it be Kindle or something else has made this so much easier and lighter! I can carry my Kindle on a hike, find a nice place to hunker down and read for a few hours. I suppose you can do the same thing with a paperback, but then what do you do with it when its done? Recycle is an option when there is a place to do it, but electronic format takes zero resources (other than the tiny amount of power it takes to charge it), and saves our trees!
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We are from the cards and games generation. Remember them? Canasta, Rummy, Chess, Milles Bournes, Dominoes, Scrabble etc. When, back in the day, I taught Gifted and Talented on the high school level, I had "fun Fridays" where I TAUGHT kids how to play games. They had no clue (and especially playing CLUE). I told them that games and cards taught them strategy by making them think many moves ahead, and taught them bluffing, and developing a good "straight face" when needed. I really WAS shocked to find out none had ever played games growing up.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I too have gone electronic for books. The ability to change the font size is very handy. I find reading on my Kindle, iPad, PC or laptop to be much easier than holding a book.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Watch downloaded Netflix movies - fun to watch after a day of hiking, exploration, etc.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
OK, this is a great thread. So regarding that Moon idea, here’s one some of you are sure to love.

Step one-
Go to Instagram and sign in or create an account. Before you hang up, please understand that Instagram is not Facebook. You won’t have to deal with getting messages from people who just posted about how they feel better now because they just went to the bathroom. Instagram is the place where I don’t follow accounts from people who post pictures of themselves, but you are free to follow whomever you wish.
I use Instagram mainly as a platform to display my photography, but I also engage my interest by following those who inspire me.

Step two-
Begin searching for things that you like. You will discover an endless stream of creativity from all corners of the Earth, and beyond….
Here are some that I follow:
@vintage-scifi, @retroscifiart, @it_came_from_beyond_planet_x, @scifi_art, @seventiesscifiart. And here’s my account: @coasttocoastphotoatl.

Step three-
Enjoy and begin to follow interesting accounts, and maybe even mine.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Raiders of the Lost Ark... ripped me off?

Great having some posts... while passing time.

At the University of Wyoming we needed one class of Writing. Geologists need to be able to scribble down what they are looking at in some Hell Hole, call a Geological Structure.

We were asked to write about an experience. The professor did not ask True or Not. I wrote one about an Archaeologist in the Amazon finding this idol and all of the difficult situations of, first finding it and then taking a canoe down the Amazon River.

To add suspense, I added Natives with blow darts and arrows.

When papers were graded and being handed out... I was called out to 'stick around'.

Yes... I might had over done the story. He asked if it was true?

Well... not... really. I made it up. This was in 1973.

Then on June 15, 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark shows up. The scene being in the Amazon with the Idol... sure seemed familiar. Nancy and I were talking about it not long ago... IF this Professor took my story and had something to do with the movie. My paper is long lost but the memory is vivid.

I earned an A in the Class. In High School I earned C's and D's in English. I spoke in pure English and poetry was not something I liked to dine and rhyme...

I received an A+ on the paper. The professor was impressed (actually a PhD candidate). Sometimes you just go with the flow. Real Life and what we can make up is much more interesting.

...and this is all 100% true. This story... not the Amazon version.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #18
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
My wife wanted me to buy her a Kindle for two years: NO! I finally caved in. We went to Mexico for a month and I read my seven paperbacks. “Try my Kindle”. NO. after a few days I tried it and after only a few days I was hooked: lightweight, backlit, holds thousands of books, magazines, and newspapers. We partner with three other couples to share the library so when one person buys a book, we can all read it. Our tastes are similar and if a girly book appears, I just don’t download it. Tablets are big and heavy so I stay with my (third) Kindle. Check out a paperwhite- you’ll be glad you did.
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
OK, this is a great thread. So regarding that Moon idea, here’s one some of you are sure to love.

Step one-
Go to Instagram and sign in or create an account. Before you hang up, please understand that Instagram is not Facebook. You won’t have to deal with getting messages from people who just posted about how they feel better now because they just went to the bathroom. Instagram is the place where I don’t follow accounts from people who post pictures of themselves, but you are free to follow whomever you wish.
I use Instagram mainly as a platform to display my photography, but I also engage my interest by following those who inspire me.

Step two-
Begin searching for things that you like. You will discover an endless stream of creativity from all corners of the Earth, and beyond….
Here are some that I follow:
@vintage-scifi, @retroscifiart, @it_came_from_beyond_planet_x, @scifi_art, @seventiesscifiart. And here’s my account: @coasttocoastphotoatl.

Step three-
Enjoy and begin to follow interesting accounts, and maybe even mine.
Nice photos, especially the black and white format. If I ever find a BMW 2002 for a reasonable price I'm going to make it mine immediately. I love that body style.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I have found my favorite campsite has no electronics connection. Mosey into the local library when need connection to pay bills and catch up with family & friends, talk to the locals to get the best information.
Have recently taken up sketching & painting again. When Johnny & David went off late night and bedtime comes much earlier now have taken up reading myself to sleep. ( read the book 2-3 times as forget where I left off/ went to sleep)
C J Box novels take me back to Wyoming. Recently read a hard cover book and now have pain in my shoulder from holding up the heavy book. I might have to investigate a Kindle but really like paper backs. I like to sling shot idea. Also walk around on slippery rocks with a fly rod.
Have many wildflower books but the ones I find aren’t in any books. Have started naming them from the places I find them. More memorable this way.

Good thread.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote