Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Our Boulder City Library shut its doors. Our neighbor missed out on checking out a cart full of books.

We had a stack to be donated to Good Will. Gave him his pick. Nancy likes a group of authors who she finds interesting. He took most and can come back for more.
This is exactly why we went the electronic format route - not because our library is closed, although it currently is, but rather because I was collecting far too many books. I used to buy hardcovers at Sam's Club and paperbacks wherever I could find them. Then they ended up in boxes in the attic. My wife pointed out the attic was going to collapse so we tried selling them at a rummage sale (not much luck) and we ended up donating them. The beauty of electronic format is no weight, very little power consumption, able to be read in the dark, and most importantly can store hundreds and share with family members. Another major benefit is you always have the books handy if you have your phone or iPad or Kindle. Waiting rooms are much less boring when you can read on your phone. I still have some favorite hardcover books I reread, but for the most part it's all electronic now.

BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Western , North Carolina
Amazon Kindle app is my friend. Prime and kindle unlimited provides 1000s of books you can borrow. Being paper free is so much better

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #43
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yep, all our local libraries are closed to physical visits as well. Hopefully, they will be able to keep the digital lending process operating.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #44
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Picked up a bound set of the Mutiny trilogy - Mutiny on the Bounty, Men against the sea, and Pitcairn Island. Three great reads.

And for more modern history buffs, there are the Rick Atkinson books on WWII, plus his new The Redcoats are Coming!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Deadwood: A Hell of a Place to Make Your Fortune

Nobody wanted to visit the Boulder City Library last month. If you wanted peace and quiet, that was the place.

Today... seems to be a big deal.

I have something better. The Complete First, Second and Third Seasons of: Deadwood- A Hell of a Place to Make Your Fortune, Fortune Comes with a Price & Some Fortunes are Better Left Unclaimed. Twelve DVD's and we may start watching them again this evening. Will take 12 evenings, at least.

IF you are going to Deadwood, South Dakota this year. I would say this is a much more interesting behind the scenes Historically accurate of what Deadwood was really like.

The Chinese and their Hogs cleaned up in this town. And the language... even I blush. The English, that is. The Chinese I could assume I understood.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #46
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
That was a great series. Very dense with material and I think a week between shows was good. Same with Band of Brothers. Sometimes it takes a little time to digest such strong subjects.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
GO West Young Man... as they use to say. Still true.

Many years ago in Deadwood, South Dakota they were repaving the main street. The fired brick pavers were removed and piled up. Picked up two as souvenirs. Still have them. Brings back those great memories of our first Visit, and second... and...

The Black Hills have a lot to offer if you have not visited. Be flexible as to where to park your Airstream as the open spaces between mountain peaks are narrow and hard to navigate.

Once at elevation you may find a NFS open area, but be careful as it is more difficult to back out of an area your 34 foot trailer does not fit into a 25 foot clearing.

Then off to the WEST. The Big Horns. The Battle of the Little Big Horn and beyond.

From Rapid City, SD you can also go south to Crawford, Nebraska and Fort Robinson just west of town. Another wonderful area to camp at the Park or to the National Grasslands to the north and Boondock.

Wide open countryside and for Passing Time... an open mind with many options if you like Western History from 1865 to 1900. It is all here and much is original... other than Deadwood. If you do not watch the Deadwood series... you might be disappointed that chaos is now over.

Once in Wyoming... Oregon Trail and many other historical areas. Montana and the Yellowstone River going west. Some nice pullouts with sandy beaches and clear cold river water. The headwaters of the Missouri River in Montana is just another diversion.

If you have not been out WEST, the wide open West begins to the East of California, Oregon and Washington. Passing Time is a choice. Enjoying it is a Mission! Do it.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2020 Deadwood is no longer 1876 Deadwood :)

OK. Deadwood seems to be off the radar and bucket list to those who watched the Series:

Deadwood- A Hell of a Place to Park An Airstream. HBO Original with Timothy Olyphant and the real Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane. Mount Moriah Cemetery contain both. One from Lead Poisoning, not some virus. We visited both and it is a connection to historical events, that some following the Forum were witnesses.

The language used in the Series is a form of English with Cursing. Although if you have had a protected life, it is refreshing to be introduced how the West Was Not.

Nothing like a Wine Tasting Event in Palm Springs or Orlando... but a language non the less.

Many seem to fear the remote idea of Boondocking and the ugly step child, Off the Grid... yet huddle in their homes afraid of their neighbors, as they do you. Are your glazed eyes beginning to open up, yet? Maybe, just a little?

Just lighten up. We walked our two Blue Heelers. I was able to communicate to a woman I see regularly walking... I was across the street... and she did not appear concerned. Other than that... DeadWOOD City right here, without the cursing.

I was attached to one end of a leash and Blue, our Blue Heeler the other. We could be told apart as Blue had the rubber ring in her mouth, that I throw in the grass at the Bureau of Reclamation. I had the part of the leash that goes around my wrist, not... neck.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
I was attached to one end of a leash and Blue, our Blue Heeler the other. We could be told apart as Blue had the rubber ring in her mouth, that I throw in the grass at the Bureau of Reclamation. I had the part of the leash that goes around my wrist, not... neck.
That's an important data point relative to the question of whether we walk our dogs or they walk us.
AnonPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I love spending time in the Bighorn National Forest. There is plenty to do up there. Lots of fishing, hiking, scenery, OHV rides, etc. It's one of the two places I've been in Wyoming where I could catch trout without putting bait on my hook.

I hit the local library the day before they shut down. Whew! I picked up a few DVD movies and a DVD TV series Twin Peaks. I've been picking up ebooks from the online library the past couple of days. Some are good, some aren't as good as their cover art.
HRTKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Little Big Man- Dustin Hoffman/ Jack Crab (1970)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonPi View Post
That's an important data point relative to the question of whether we walk our dogs or they walk us.
Someone who can read between the lines and got the message. Almost like the Navajo Code Talkers during WW2.

I did not offer a better English Language option to the Deadwood Series. But I am now:

Dustin Hoffman: Little Big Man. We watch it once a year just to freshen our enthusiasm for OTG Boondocking. Although being a Drunken Gun Fighter in Deadwood in 1876 was probably not a good Professional change of occupation from a Natural Born Gunfighter to the Wild Bill's message carrier to Lulu...

If no one other than myself has seen this historically correct, 'sort of' American Western and Indian Historical Events... I need to go the an Arctic Fox Trailer Forum and find some people that have not experienced some of the 'characters' we have on our own Forum. Get with it folks. Even George Armstrong Custer was in Little Big Man... and gave great advice.

If you take this seriously... look up DEAD WOOD. "People or things that are no longer useful or productive." I am a proud Member #1 of the OTG Boondocker Dead Wood Airstream Contrarian Society. Amen.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Someone who can read between the lines and got the message. Almost like the Navajo Code Talkers during WW2.

I did not offer a better English Language option to the Deadwood Series. But I am now:

Dustin Hoffman: Little Big Man. We watch it once a year just to freshen our enthusiasm for OTG Boondocking. Although being a Drunken Gun Fighter in Deadwood in 1876 was probably not a good Professional change of occupation from a Natural Born Gunfighter to the Wild Bill's message carrier to Lulu...

If no one other than myself has seen this historically correct, 'sort of' American Western and Indian Historical Events... I need to go the an Arctic Fox Trailer Forum and find some people that have not experienced some of the 'characters' we have on our own Forum. Get with it folks. Even George Armstrong Custer was in Little Big Man... and gave great advice.

If you take this seriously... look up DEAD WOOD. "People or things that are no longer useful or productive." I am a proud Member #1 of the OTG Boondocker Dead Wood Airstream Contrarian Society. Amen.
Old Lodge Skins:
This boy is no longer a boy. He's a brave. He is little in body, but his heart is big. His name shall be "Little Big Man."

One of my favorite movies of all time

Louise Pendrake:
Well, Jack. Now you know. This is a house of ill fame. And I'm a fallen flower. This life is not only wicked and sinful. It isn't even any fun.

I'll have to see if I can find Dead Wood on Netflix or Prime maybe on demand

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Batman... like me, I quote' Little Big Man', often.

"You're not LuLu... You're Mrs. Pendrake."

"You'll make a Good Wife... for a Senator." (She going to Washington, D.C. at end of film.)

Went to Freddys for TWO large Custards (Custer...ards Our dining out from window service on our wedding anniversary, today. Cost: $12.98, handed $13.00 in cash through the window and said 'keep the change'. ...and then the usual "I'll be back...' from an Arnold movie.

Last Wedding Anniversary we were driving from Colorado to Nevada with a Penske truck and Nancy driving the F350. Had Dinner at Denny's, I barely slept (somewhere) between two bench seats in the Penske and Nancy had the plush seat in the F350 with two Blue Heelers in pet porters on the back seat.

Passing Time? There will be Eternity to rest someday. Our mothers brought us up to handle anything that comes our way. Even Jack Crab would envy our good fortune.

Some of us can show our gals a great time...!

"I'm not only playing Indjun, I'm.. living Injun!" Jack Crab quote.

"A hundred and eleven years ago, when I was ten years old..." close to Jack Crab quote.

I will refrain from ANY QUOTES from Deadwood... the Series. For good reason.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Not really an important data point: my dog allows me to fasten the leash to his collar, and allows me to hold the other end in my hand, but it is clear who has the power as soon as we start down the sidewalk. An 80-lb Doberman will always trump (no pun intended) a 74-yr old woman.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Boondocking: Passing Time Is the handwriting on the wall, America?

I saw this video on the net You Tube you might have a look at it. Back in the day, circa 1978 there about, but Billy talks about Iran, but then known as Persia way back.

The title is:
Is the handwriting on the wall, America?

https://youtu.be/qJT7MjxkRrk?t=8
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lemons into Lemonade

Passing Time can be used to your advantage.

We moved money from our IRA's into our Roth accounts yesterday when we felt the Stock Market hit a bottom. It DID, as of this morning. The time stuck inside the house, working out how we can turn LEMONs into Lemonade..

Today's jump in the 'market' was not expected, but the balancing act of increased Medicare costs for 12 months and future appreciation of our retirement was our motivation.

Time well spent. Time will tell. No matter what... the timing was good and maybe things will get back to normal for everyone. The unknown should not freeze your decision making process.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Not really an important data point: my dog allows me to fasten the leash to his collar, and allows me to hold the other end in my hand, but it is clear who has the power as soon as we start down the sidewalk. An 80-lb Doberman will always trump (no pun intended) a 74-yr old woman.
You just need to take charge: https://k9carting.com
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dogs and People need a purpose.

Quote:
Nice... a dog and a purpose. Passing Time training your dog to do as you command... is like a child getting lessons from their First Grade Teacher. Young minds are impressionable.

Many dog owners do not realize that if you show fear of a 3 pound dog or a 125 pound dog... YOU are the problem. If I have a dog encounter and it is being aggressive... I come at it with my defensive weapon. If the dog attacks, which one never has... they will regret our short relationship, soon.

I always carry my five foot plus walking STICK when Boondocking and Hiking. It is also a potential defensive weapon.

A small dog thinks it is a 150 pounder... not size that matters to a dog... until the fur hits the fan.

I am not a dog trainer. OK. Blue Heelers want SOMEONE TO BE IN CHARGE. Either them... or YOU. If they do not listen... I come after them like a Rabid Human Bean. They understand the Human Bean and Dog relationship, sooner than later. You start when they are young pups and learning who the Pack Leader is... YOU. A Blue Heeler will HEEL the non Pack Leader(s). The pecking order is learned.

If you do not agree... good, do not bring your barking 3 pounder out Boondocking as a Ranch Dog will flip them over and salivate onto them to show them WHO is in charge.

Our Blue Heelers carry a strapped back pack with their water and treats when Boondocking. Less so today, as we do not go many miles and dogs need plenty of water. We carry our water... they carry theirs. On the way back... their load is lighter.

In areas of creeks and rivers... no back pack for the Heelers. They can swim and drink to their heart's desire.

Any 'dog' comments? A dog without a MASTER is not going to work out well in the woods or in town.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
I love the carts!! I should get one; but the same problem remains: how do I get my dog to go where I want in the cart, instead of where he wants?? At least I would only have to worry about being dumped out of the cart which is low to the ground, vs. falling down and breaking bones.

He is my tenth Doberman, 9 of which I took through AKC obedience training, and they were beautifully behaved on the leash. When my father-in-law--who hobbled badly due to a stroke--fell while walking three on their leashes down our country road, the three would sit and wait for him to get up and move forward again.

Circumstances prevented me from taking this guy through the training, and my now-ex DH used his weight and strength for the first 5 years of the dog's life to control this big guy instead of training him properly. So now I am reaping what my ex sowed: dangerously headstrong on the leash outside, although a perfect gentleman in the house, car, or trailer.

While I am "boondocked" due to the virus (therefore this post is not off-topic ), I am working on retraining him on the leash: several short walks daily, forcing him to heel, as soon as he lunges or pulls, back on the heel.This seems to be helping. Let's hope I don't fall and break something while this goes on....

And I have to get the cart!!
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I love the carts!! I should get one; but the same problem remains: how do I get my dog to go where I want in the cart, instead of where he wants??
Once you have him harnessed up, just think of him as a horse.