RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
If you plan to go to Carlsbad Caverns... two days. There is a RV campground just outside the Park. It was a disaster all three times we came. Pay for the cheapest spot and park where you like. No one was there. The Cavern sidewalks were drier than the Shower Floors at the campground...
A campground with nobody in it sounds like a great campground!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Maps are only dependable... if they are... accurate :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
A campground with nobody in it sounds like a great campground!
We are actually in the minority.

We use the Delorme Atlas for the Western States we want to explore. They are mediocre maps, but at four miles to the inch... good enough.

A little secret that I am willing to disclose is that when you choose a road into the back country, understand what a solid black, solid red, dashing red and learn from experience that roads are not all... roads. Dashed are sometimes no longer passable... but since the map was made... may be temporarily better.

Trial and Error. Make a note and GPS location for the good campsites.

There are better maps printed by the Forest Service and U. S. Geological Survey. Those you may need only if your specific target to camp is available. Traveling to top of Pike's Peak in small scale is not going to do you much good. Towing a trailer... you will be turned around before you begin to travel upgrade.

Campsites. This is a dirty big secret to understand. If you see a well maintained road going into an area you want to explore and it has the 'tent icon' that is an OTG Campsite and may even have a restroom. Rest maybe not. Room... small but best used than filling your black tank.

If you find ONE NFS campsite marked on the map... there are most likely MORE to pick from ahead. Some easier to access to find a convenient parking spot, than others. Hunter's camps are never marked. They are even better than a NFS campsite. Be aware many of these campground were built before any of us were born.

Be careful. It is easier to get INTO one of these sites and needing to back out. Park where it is convenient and WALK the camp. Less stress.

Do not expect a water pump at a Hunter's Camp, although some NFS campsites will have picnic tables and maybe a mechanical hand pump for ground water. I have found the water in the 'high country' excellent... check the water out in a clear glass and give it the sniff test and then a slosh around your taste buds. Sulfur is a common surprise... will not hurt you... but maybe pass. Western Nebraska wells have lots of dissolved Sulfur.

If you are going to Wyoming... check out the 2016 Wyoming Adventure and pick a location that is on your way... or IN your way. Twenty-eight foot trailers made it.

Not all 'primitive' roads/trails on the Delorme maps may exist. These maps are no doubt done by some experienced employee using aerial photographs. I sometimes am led to believe they also make up a good road from a two rut jeep trail. Even a well used horse packers trail may look... promising. Just keep it in mind.

A Dead End is exactly that. A spot where tow vehicles and trailers pile up and discarded like aluminum cans in the City.

I have Spring Fever already. I am ready to get out and explore the unknown back country roads.

I can only trim our Palm Trees, Fruit Trees and flowering bushes one or... two MORE times. The trailer is ready to 'pound the roads' for better or worse. I will survive. Nancy will survive. Our two Blue Heelers smell Spring.

I will have all Winter 2020 to put everything back together and do this all over again. Getting 'older' is a State of Mind. That is why we go from one STATE to another STATE. (IF you did not get it, you are a Glamper.) There is NO State Of MIND, yet. I count 50 States, some say 53 or so. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Somewhere on a Post I made a comment about OTG Boondocking and hiking into the unknown.

I said that if you like to hold hands with your spouse or date while hiking and used trekking poles... this may not be for you. She thought that was bit naughty of me.

I explained. Not that my posts are short. Much like a balloon. The 'more AIR' you put into it, the bigger it becomes.

If you get your OTG ideas out of some Glamorous Dry Camping magazine of starlets and company executives 'roughing it'... for photo ops... OK, we are on track, now.

Trekking poles are for those who are at Yellowstone Park on the boardwalks or two lane hiking trails for the Rich and Famous. A deer trail along side a steep drop you need something stronger and one hand available to grab onto something if you slip. Bushing it... one stout piece of 'Beaver Pole' trumps a ski pole, jack up the price and it becomes a trendy Trekking Pole.

If someone needs a hand to pull them up a side of a steep rock face... now you have to figure out what to do with two or four useless fiber glass or aluminum sticks.

On the same trail you have to travel as a deer or an elk. In a line. Some get the idea that you cannot be a mob pushing their way up Yosemite, while Free Solo. From watching some of my Adventure observations, some like to move as a mob with no idea where they are going. Somethings you cannot explain to individuals why it is important to explore and become confident of your judgment. If not... the Mob is a good idea.

Hygiene: Maintaining health and preventing disease through 'cleanliness'.

Your body oils protect you. Your body odor keeps Mr. Bear and Mr. Mountain Lion at a distance. If you smell sweet and sterile... you may as well be setting a trap to catch something big. Hunters, for example, are healthy people. When they return home people run away from you on a sidewalk.

A bad hair day. A hat.
Spandex hiking clothing. Hawaii or Miami Beach... kind of disguise.
Fresh Clothes every day. Hollywood, Las Vegas, a fruit bar on a Beach

You are among Raiders of the Lost Arc. Not Fantasy Island with people wanting an autograph. After a week in the same clothes... more or less if you sweat a lot the chipmunks do not mind. Wash up what is necessary, but to do the ten minute shower in the trailer... you will never find yourself riding a lamb at a Rodeo as your last request.

So, just read between the line or lines. If you have no sense of humor... and I seen them as well, get the spandex, trekking poles, French perfume and have a pocket full of bacon and treats to feed the animals in the Forest. Lunch to a beast in the Forest is a 24 hour buffet. You just may figure it out. I did.

Added: If you travel the WORLD... the Americans over dress and smell the best in the Bush and in Towns. Anyone disagree? This is why we are so concerned with Black and Grey Water tanks. Sometimes, the truth... hurts. I do not mind.. stinking. It is MY vacation to be the wild beast I am and love every moment. Our Blue Heelers... can also locate us. At my funeral... do not come. I will not be wearing a suit and tie.