Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking: Grocery List for Humans

Nancy is the cook. She has a list printed off of her computer, listing everything needed to feed a Homo sapien a healthy meal. This has developed since tent camping in the last century.

First: An approximate number of days we will be Base Camped.

Second: Estimates how many meals will be most likely needed.

Third: Makes a mental 'menu' of Breakfast and Dinner (two meals a day).

Fourth: Refrigerator is 'pre cooled' before loading up.

When traveling to or ready to go into a Boondocking environment... we have a restaurant meal. Breakfast or Dinner (which is Lunch or Supper). Not always, but usually to get jump started as it may be late when we find our final camping spot. Sometimes we will top off fuel and fix sandwiches for a quick meal if it is getting late in the afternoon and daylight is critical.

Nancy vacuum packs frozen meat(s) for two. Burger patties are made in advance. Apples, oranges, salad vegetables, cheese and other refrigerator foodstuffs are loaded once the refrigerator is down to temperature.

Snacks while hiking from Base Camp are very important. Portable water bottles for us and dogs. Sometimes we have packs and the dogs carry their own water bottles and plastic thin cream cheese cup for drinking out of.

Heavy items are NOT put into the refrigerator while moving. You can break the shelving on an irregular road. No soda or beer on the door shelves. If you do not believe me, be prepared to purchase some.

Watermelon and cherry tomatoes keep fresh and cool ON the BED and under the pillows and cover. You would be surprised how long the morning coolness stays insulated this way.

Salt, pepper and other dry goods are in the pantry. If you think you 'may' need it... take it. Chips, cookies, crackers and other dry goods we store over the table. Paper towels, paper plates, toilet paper in the open space of the Microwave. Also can store dry goods in the OVEN.

We use stainless ware utensils. Plastic is fine, but metal tableware does not break and a sharp knife always is needed. Can opener. Wine cork puller OR the box wine holds more, less space taken. Again, CAN OPENER.

Batteries. Playing cards. Flash lights. A couple of the most needed tools- straight and philips screwdrivers, some assorted wood screws, toothpicks, pliers, small hammer, Elmer's Glue, Lighter fluid to clean grease spots... you know the stuff.

Everyone eats what they like. So, bring what you like and add some for unexpected guests or delays getting into town for restocking.

Ice in the Summer is always appreciated and a cooler in the back of the truck full of ice cubes for cold water or soda after a long hot day. The clearer the ice, the longer it will last. Large blocks are best and you use a screwdriver or ice pick to knock off what you need. Remember "CLEAR ICE" is best (that is why it costs a bit more). There is no air to give it the white or dull coloration.

Once you write everything down... type it onto the computer to save the list. Add to the list when new items may be needed for the current trip, or possibly for another. Mark off what stays and already in the trailer during that season. Make a list of things to pick up when in the next town. In December you may not need
ice, but it is on the list as a reminder.

This is no different than shopping groceries for home... but at a smaller scale. You most likely do not need 8 pounds of pickles or 12 pounds of potatoes unless you really, really like them.

I am tossing this out to give you encouragement to add to this post.

One last point: Keep your eggs in the carton. Less likely to break them while traveling. Break down into portions when shrink wrapping or cellophane portions. Small ideas with big consequences. Space permitting, make ice in the freezer.

Sleeping bags and other items can be stored on the floor of the shower.

I hope this helps someone. Others will have ideas that some of us never thought about. Then you get into the bathroom... the list. Remember to make THE LIST.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
For GUYS camping without Wives... along

OK... if I am on my own and I do understand my, obvious, limited ability to throw a good meal together while on the road:

On the way into an Off the Grid camp, eat at a decent, well attended by locals, restaurant before you go to your campsite. Top off the Fuel. Top off fresh water if needed. Top off your appetite. I always like a double cheeseburger and fries, when possible. Free soda refills are a plus.

On the way out of an Off the Grid camp, eat Breakfast at a decent, well attended by locals, restaurant when you get into town. Top off the Fuel, etc. Double Cheeseburger with fries, when possible. Hot coffee with refills is a plus. Or a breakfast with meat, potatoes of some sort, coffee by the bucket full... but must be STRONG and not transparent to the light if dripped onto the table.

Always leave a TIP. No... ' the cook needs to be hung', does not work. Pay for service rendered... not the food quality shoved onto your neatly folded napkin with knife, fork and spoon within. Check the silverware for fingerprints and previous use.

Silverware is usually substituted for stainless or plastic ware.

When traveling by myself, with two Blue Heelers... they prewash cookware. Then wash in hot sudsy water, rinse clean and dry. Deny if asked at home...

Keep the IPA beer cold when at camp, remove from the refrigerator when moving. The weight can break the plastic shelve's support hangers and shake the beer to the point of 'popping their tops' if not careful.

Watermelons are stored under the pillows on the bed, so not to get loose in the trailer.

Storing a watermelon with extra bedding in the shower is good, as well. It cannot get loose. Same with apples, oranges and anything else that can roll from one end of the trailer to the other creating juice and carnage.

Bring some firearms if you are a 'plinker' for practice.

Do not forget to bring Dog food, if they are along. Giving them trimmings off of pork chops or steaks is NOW... permitted. Yahoo for the dogs point of view.

A Shower? You do not need a stinking shower until heading home. Shave? Come on, this is not necessary. Looking like you just climbed out of a Cave is good when Off the Grid. Nobody messes with a Crazy Man with Dogs.

Well... it has worked for me. The dogs do not mind. Frontier women find it attractive with a bit of danger being caught observing your eating habits when in public. Do not trim your eye brows. It holds up a hat that is too large for your head. Wild long eye brows gives you a professorial look of high intelligence, for some. Not myself, but try it to be sure.

Get the picture, yet?

Traveling with wife... unlearn the nasty habits when camping solo, with the dog(s), but the restaurant stops in and out... are still good. Shows good taste in local food options on your part. Double cheeseburger and fries still is permitted for your narrow carnivore tastes... maybe with all the toppings for vitamins.

Above ALL things... never gut and clean fish IN the trailer.

Remove throw rugs, shake out. Wipe down trailer floor. Bag all clothing that was worn more than a week, but less than three days, as well. Box up all excess hats, boots, 42 ounce refillable truck stop soda cups and most of all... have a good time and if you did not, LIE, Lie, lie about it. Women feel bad they did not come along if everything worked out well.

Now you are on your own. If none of this appeals to your white satin table cloth and white tie dining... you are obviously reading the wrong thread. You need to catch the Thread concerning Mom's Cooking... and have her Fed Ex to you camp site.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray, you have been one very prolific poster lately.

You so badly need to go camping.

Maggie