Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming: Climate is a Toy in that State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I remember that windy morning. We left the awning deployed to dry some wet clothing on it. 05:00 in the dark we were out, en deshabillee, taking in the awning. 1 of the tie down straps was torn in 2 the other was badly frayed. Pix and Karen had apparently left their windows open. I heard muttering about a trailer full of dust the next day. My flies catch wood very well. There’s a pine tree on Grey’s River that took a half dozen of those caddis patterns.
Of course Pix and Karen won the 'get the best camping spot contest on the Rim' and got the premium camping spot with an unobstructed view for 50 miles into Lander and beyond. Had either been a sleep walker, it was at least 1,000 feet to the bottom. That question was not asked.

Pix showed me the amount of dust on their white leatherette interior. I thought it was the 'natural Wyoming look' option. This was the FIRST CAMPING stop on the two week trip. It did appear to have been a new trailer and now was... broken in, for sure after Wyoming.

We camped at the same spot earlier this month and found a huge snow drift, no wind and thought we were camped out in our RV Garage it was so... calm and pleasant. Even the Blue Heelers were still... not blue, but looked the same after two days.

Thalweg did not make the Beaver Rim stop, but did make the Double Cabin, DuBois... rain, snow, sleet, fog, mud fest, Climate Change within 24 hours, etc... where the majority wanted to leave Wyoming and go home in comfort. I smelled the tar and a pole was being cut down near the campsite... if you know what I mean.

Wyoming. Wait 24 hours and the Climate will CHANGE. The first day was Sunny. The next day started out Sunny... but everything blows in and people have to wear Winter clothing in August, shovel mud and want to get out of there before something worse happens.

To me... it is Wyoming. Going to the Tetons and Yellowstone this year? Why, ask yourself, there are NO Wyoming plates to be found in the Park, when you visit?

I do not know, but thought someone might... like Thalweg. He did the Wyoming maps... it is his fault, of course.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
"Canadian Clippers are no different, but add ****er to the end of Cold"

Ray, Lol eh
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
"Of course Pix and Karen won the 'get the best camping spot contest on the Rim' and got the premium camping spot with an unobstructed view for 50 miles into Lander and beyond. Had either been a sleep walker, it was at least 1,000 feet to the bottom. That question was not asked."
I found a photo of Pix's Airstream and we are the trailer to the left with Nancy standing outside. Which windows were Open? Somehow I cannot imagine red dust and the rocks are white. Maybe it was white dust?

I believe Pix's Airstream is the one with the blue looking tow vehicle. Not much in the way of windows on the NW facing side, which is the normal wind pattern in this area from the mountains to the NW and North.

This is a wonderful Boondocking location. Been there often. Red dust is directly related to Triassic Sandstones that are Red.

These are Eocene deposits which are up to a 1,000 feet above... Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene then Eocene with white Oligocene badlands on top just to the west.

Fred is on the far right in his camper... the go anywhere guy.

Those viewing this thread... imagine yourself all alone with mountains to visit, to dry camp and visit within hours drive.... aaahhhh Wyoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4681.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	368881  
Old 05-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #24

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Baskerville , Virginia
I always liked Wyoming, I have relatives up by Gillette. The weather can be intense, but the people were always really nice.
LonesomeDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Yoming... High Country Heaven to many

Europeans, like my Dutch relatives, love Yoming. Wearing boots, a nice brimmed hat and a scarf and a face mask in the event you need to relieve some tourist of some coupons.

Shyenne and Kasper are quant towns. One full of politicians and the other full of oil workers and fresh money printed from selling petroleum.

Then Gillette... named after the razor blade company and a shaving cream. A wonderful place, if you just come to visit. The Coal Mines are shutting down and the Petroleum Industry is being replaced by wind and solar power, I assume.

Most people have and never had any sense of Humor or Common Cents. I find them boring and they find me, obnoxious and rectal. This is like Insect Repellant when an area is infested with Yoming Skeeters, from out of Steak. They, the skeeters, top off their 'tanks' when they see people wearing short pants and tee shirts.

(That may have confused a few, but reread and find that you are feeding the most common life form in Yoming. The Skeeter family. Famous in Country Music like the Carter Family. Not Jimmie, but close to home.)

You do not need to dress up, or at all... camped in Yoming. You have Yellerstone and the Great Titeons right where it has been since Human Beans moved through. There is a Big Grant Titeon in the middle that needs a sign for the ignorants who are not sure, which is the Big Granted one. Locals discover out of Staters, aka tourists, are amazed these sites exist and have not been mined and bull dozed to make room for condos for families of wealth and city cents.

The State has been around before 1890, but was then called Yoming Territory. Much like Utetah and Kneevada were before Civil Servants arrived.

Confused? Quit reading this Thread and put meself on Ignore. You will be doing yurself and meself a favor. Ask Mark the Twain. Have a good day... and leave the Boondocking to the experts. They know how to enjoy themselves in Yoming and the other Rocky Mountain States. They are High on Thin Air. The rest of you... need medical attention.

I would love to go to Ken...tuck...EEE. But can I wear my boots and brimmed hat there? Or knot?
Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Open: Rocky Mountain Off the Grid campsites

Those who want to go camping... I have discovered that NO OTG Campsites in the National Forests are closed.

We have encountered some trailer campers driving NFS roads to set camp, some locals who use Forest Service roads to access a Ranch or a shortcut from one town to another, but those areas we regularly visit... have been EMPTY.

Did find a tent camper at a spot near where New Mexico Adventure was held. They were in a secluded spot away from the easier to access trailer site.

RV Parks seem to be a bit flexible further away from National Parks and Monuments. There are plenty of trailers parked and plenty of open spaces.

Make no plans. Pick an area if you are in a Western State. New Mexico Forest Service handed us a flyer about Forest Fire Ban... that was it. We leave soon to enjoy the solitude and wide open hunter's camps and pullouts. This could nearing your opportunity to camp about anyplace you discover off the paved road.

Facilities are not provided, other than trees for shade. You have everything you need in your Airstream.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
To each their own but for me RV parks are glorified parking lots, so Sigrid my GSD (German Shepherd Dog) and I only do dry camping. I will ask for directions on this post, a first for me. Going just by finding spots on BLM and FS is fun and plenty dispersed but... there has to be something worth watching, being in the middle of nothing gets boring fast. We hit some awesome places (like Lone Rock Beach at Lake Powell) and some really crappy ones like Cottonwood and Wild Horses in WY, the luck of the draw. Asking for directions: anyone can suggest areas (I promise not to camp right by you) in Forest Service, BLM etc for disperse boondocking, that are worth going to? BTW I use RVtripadvisor, GAIA GPS and Garmin Explorer+ (Delorme charts) Thanks!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
After recent events, some Airstream Owners are actually considering Boondocking... again.

Solar on the Roof, or a portable Panel is a real necessary need. Not until your batteries are dead will you understand. One portable 110 watt is good. A second portable is more than you will need... for OTG conservative power needs camping. Connected directly to your Batteries with the Controller. Less than $125 for 110 watts at Costco.

Do you have anything to ASK or to ADD?
Planning a long summer trip this year. Boondocking is high on list.

I do have a question...regarding the above. What is your battery set up and what is your biggest draw of electricity ? Do you leave your solar hooked up all the time you are camped?

I am running two agm 6v and my draw is the dc refer and water pump. Wondering if the above set up would keep up the charge.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
I think we're doing similar things with similar setups... reno'ed '68 Overlander, biggest draws - furnace fan, DC frig, inverter, water pump. All lights are led, water pump, water heater, inverter only on when used. Biggest issue is fridge, draws steady 5 amps when running. Power - 2 6v 250ah AGM, 2 deployable 200 watt solar panels, Victron 30/100 and BMV 712. Full sun (we live in Colo.and do most of our damage in the west) gives 20 amps charging. Average days we're at 100% by noon, run all day that way, rarely below 95% the following morning after an evening of whatever we want ( including furnace if needed). We also usually carry a Wave6 catalytic heater. I have a little Coleman 1850 generator that I hate to use and rarely bring, but, if needed fire it up and voila, 45 amps charging. Most of the time only run 1 panel, move it around the back of the trailer a few times a day when convenient. Allows us to maybe have some shade and get sun on the panels. I think 2 100 watter's could possibly work, the 200 watt units aren't that much bigger. They ride in the back seat area of the Dodge PU with the dog etc..
I've followed your work, very nice, it'd be fun to see you on the road...
Safe travels, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
I think we're doing similar things with similar setups... reno'ed '68 Overlander, biggest draws - furnace fan, DC frig, inverter, water pump. All lights are led, water pump, water heater, inverter only on when used. Biggest issue is fridge, draws steady 5 amps when running. Power - 2 6v 250ah AGM, 2 deployable 200 watt solar panels, Victron 30/100 and BMV 712. Full sun (we live in Colo.and do most of our damage in the west) gives 20 amps charging. Average days we're at 100% by noon, run all day that way, rarely below 95% the following morning after an evening of whatever we want ( including furnace if needed). We also usually carry a Wave6 catalytic heater. I have a little Coleman 1850 generator that I hate to use and rarely bring, but, if needed fire it up and voila, 45 amps charging. Most of the time only run 1 panel, move it around the back of the trailer a few times a day when convenient. Allows us to maybe have some shade and get sun on the panels. I think 2 100 watter's could possibly work, the 200 watt units aren't that much bigger. They ride in the back seat area of the Dodge PU with the dog etc..
I've followed your work, very nice, it'd be fun to see you on the road...
Safe travels, Mark D
Thanks for the input...I notice my fridge draws approx. 3.5-4.5 when running. I am now doing a driveway test to see how long it will take to draw down to around 60%...then hook the gen set up and see what it takes to fill the banks.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #31
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtrader View Post
Thanks for the input...I notice my fridge draws approx. 3.5-4.5 when running. I am now doing a driveway test to see how long it will take to draw down to around 60%...then hook the gen set up and see what it takes to fill the banks.
We were on a boondocking trip with Ray Eklund and others a few years ago and had planned to do the same as you've described. I was surprised how much time was required to recharge the batteries 5, 10, 15, maybe 20% after drawing them down to 60% or so. I don't have the numbers any longer but I know it was several hours (maybe as much as 4-5 hours) and we only went from 60% - 80%. Your results may be better than ours. Please post your results so we can learn from your experience.

I was also disappointed with how little recharge occurred while driving down the road for an hour or two... essentially none, with the usual 7-pin connector setup.

In the end, we upgraded the charging from our tow vehicle to the trailer and that works much better for our situation. You can see our solution HERE.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We were on a boondocking trip with Ray Eklund and others a few years ago and had planned to do the same as you've described. I was surprised how much time was required to recharge the batteries 5, 10, 15, maybe 20% after drawing them down to 60% or so. I don't have the numbers any longer but I know it was several hours (maybe as much as 4-5 hours) and we only went from 60% - 80%. Your results may be better than ours. Please post your results so we can learn from your experience.
What I experienced:
Starting at 100% and 200 ah. I turned the fridge and the maxi air fans on (auto mode for fans) after 20 hours of run time I had 75% left and approx. 34 hours to 0%. Using shore power to run the Boondockers 4-stage 60 amp hour charger converter it took about 3-5 minuets to charge back to 100%.

Part 2: Did the same thing for the next part of the test and when the batteries got down to 70% (approx.21 hrs.) I hooked up my Champion 3400 watt generator and fired it up on propane. Same as above. Took 3-5 minuets for full charge.

Part 3: Let the batteries run down to 53% put the charger on shore power (Did not use genset since previous times were similar). It took 1/2 hour to get to 75% and timer said it will take 1.5 hours to full. This is consistent to what I have experienced b4 when casually testing the systems.

What I learned so far:
Not to let the batteries go below 60-65%. If they are charged at this level it only take a few minutes to be up to full capacity. Below that range and you are looking at a 1.5+ hours.

Whats next: Our next shakedown trip is next week. I will start out with a full charge and see how the monitor looks after a few hours of towing. See if I loose any amp hours or if it maintains .

Old 04-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My math skills are challenged but, in example 1, you took a 200 ah battery down 25% or 50 ah and then using a 60 ah charger brought the battery back to 100% in minutes. How can that be?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the OP Ray's last post, in this thread, was #26 on 6/2/20:

Quote:
Those who want to go camping... I have discovered that NO OTG Campsites in the National Forests are closed.
. . .
. . . and Ray's last post on all of AirForums was in a Flint Tool thread on 9/15/20:

[click on orange arrow to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Anyone with comments? Experience hunting Corn Fields?
. . .
I hope he is still around, and will continue to share his extensive knowledge with us, like this DeLorme Atlas thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...ff-146957.html

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
My math skills are challenged but, in example 1, you took a 200 ah battery down 25% or 50 ah and then using a 60 ah charger brought the battery back to 100% in minutes. How can that be?
Maybe the explanation is not clear...Example 1. After 20 hours of run time the battery level was at 75%...and there were approx...150 ah left. So it charged up in 3-5 minuets. Does that make sense?

I think you read my example as only having 25% left not used...

Old 04-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Have to say I am doubtful of 50ah recharge in 5 min. or less. Running my boondocker 45 and generator I would expect to take 3-4 hours at least. How or with what are you monitoring battery? The 25% over 20 hrs could be reasonable. I do like the testing in the drive though.
+1 to OTRA15, I've enjoyed and responded to several of Ray's posts.
Be safe, Mark D.
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Have to say I am doubtful of 50ah recharge in 5 min. or less. Running my boondocker 45 and generator I would expect to take 3-4 hours at least. How or with what are you monitoring battery? The 25% over 20 hrs could be reasonable. I do like the testing in the drive though.
+1 to OTRA15, I've enjoyed and responded to several of Ray's posts.
Be safe, Mark D.
See picture:

I hear what you are saying...I even wondered about the fast charge. So what I did was after the fast charge to 100. I shut the charger off, and then ran the same test as b4...next day down 20% and took another 5 minutes to charge back up. If the charger is left on continuously it will re-cycle through the day, but it does not change the rating. Hope this helps...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4488.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	392658

Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I just could not resist stepping out of my seclusion and respond to the diversity of opinions concerning OFF The Grid Camping.

All three of our Airstreams were absolutely PERFECT for our camping in the Wilderness.

- The Refrigerator is PROPANE.
- The Hot Water Tank is PROPANE.
- We NEVER use Air Conditioning as we are on 12 volt all of the time.
- We NEVER watch Television as there are NO Stations where we camp.
- Radio AM, when we can get a talk station. Often, none...but that is OK.
- We NEVER take Showers in the Trailer. There is an outside Shower, use it.
- I set up a folding table, a lawn chair to wash up. You smell? So what.
- We NEVER want another Airstream with a Microwave. Never would use it.
- FRESH WATER is more important than Battery Power.
- We have our own Toilet Rules. Nothing SOLID goes into the Black Tank.
- Our Dometic Cook top and Refrigerator are EXCELLENT. Work Perfectly since 2006.
- BLM and NFS and State County Roads will NOT DAMAGE your trailer.
- NEVER leave your AWNING(s) out at NIGHT. Moonshine is for drinking.

Many new Airstream Owners are getting curious about getting away from the Generators and Plugged in Airstream campgrounds. This is becomes dependent upon EASY LIVING. Boondocking OFF the GRID is an Option to being dependent upon others and modern facilities. It takes a week to learn the Hard Way. WE learned by trial and error. It was not easy. The Airstream is not intended to be an OFF THE GRID TRAILER. That is what your TENT is. You learn to treat your Airstream like TENT Camping.

If you Tent Camped before getting your Airstream.
If you NEVER Tent camped before getting your Airstream.

There is a BIG difference in the learning curve.

The NEW Airstreams with BATTERY powered Refrigerators? Do not buy one if you want to Off the Grid. Our 2019 International was built like the older models and that is why we wanted it. Now they are not available.

I bought a Honda Generator, as those on the Forum were all into running this for hours with little to gain. Sure, Television. Maybe Air Conditioning. Out West... heat in the morning is the issue. Use more covers in bed, not the furnace. Propane is for cooking and the refrigerator. Maybe fire up the Furance for five minutes... Better a Little Buddy for five minutes to take the edge out of the morning... cold. Orientate the Airstream Length towards Sunrise to heat things up when Off the Grid to get Free Heat at 6AM.

If it is too hot in the morning and evening, arrange the trailer to maximize or minimize the FREE HEAT. Need less heat... Front toward Sunrise.

Open the Door... to let the Sun heat the interior. Open the windows on the Sunny side. The aluminum will warm up and then begins to power the roof solar system on the roof.

SELL the Generator and get two Costco Solar Panels with the supplied hardware to connect to your AGM batteries. (Do not have to add water.) You move the panels with the Sun and your batteries are 100%... like ours have been for 15 years. Have TWO solar panels on the Roof, like us and ONE portable panel, just to be safe. The Generator does not work... for ME. I believed the Threads about a generator and IGNORE those individuals when out in the middle of the mountains and some genrator banging pistons in the evening and mornings and... all the time. You are OTG to get away from this nonsense. Stay home. Sell the trailer.

Well.... I was constipated with responses so direct this rant towards all to sit down, think about what you really want to do and then choose. OTG is that.

OTG is a hard choice, for many, to live like a Tent Camper with all of the luxuries of HOME at your finger tips in your Airstream. If you are concerned about what kind of Generator is BIG enough... you need to understand that SOLAR is all you need. You can have TOO MUCH... not Lithium needed. We get by with Interstate AGM's since 2006 and live better than one can imagine.

If you want to run a generator next to me while we are camped OTG... Nancy and I will get out our Firearms and do some target practice, at a safe distance of course, and let you know how it sounds to be... impolite OTG. At 2AM...

OK. I can go back to being a recluse. Bear hibernate and people like myself need to practice that, as well. Thanks for understanding.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
. . .
OK. I can go back to being a recluse. Bear hibernate and people like myself need to practice that, as well. Thanks for understanding.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I just want to add, after receiving a Private Message, that Company is ALWAYS Welcome on our 'adventures'. When we say Off the Grid... this is often, beyond, what most feel Boondocking now represents.

We do not do Stupid. There are limits when the topography needs to be walked the next day from camp. Common Sense. Even we use that. You have it as well, but it is not common, it is learned as well.

Our two Blue Heelers run free in the woods, the mountains, the deserts... as they scout out Bear and also hear and smell what we do not by ourselves.

We carry side arms more for Bear, but we smell like Hunters to Bear and they want to stay away from us and two Blue Heelers. When I say 'they'.... hunters, that is. Bear are rather intelligent and understand that some 'things' are best left alone during the... daylight hours.

If you smell 'good' with deodorant... or fry BACON in Bear Country... maybe you do not want to come with us, unless you understand some areas with BEWARE of BEAR signs on trees... probably means Bacon should be off the menu for that place. But... as usual, I wander as Nancy is asking where is the Lighter Fluid and WD40... MY kind of OTG Woman! Makes one... happy, happy.

Nancy is stocking the Airstream beginning today. We, probably I, will spin a bottle to determine which direction to go... to get the International up to standard Off the Grid travel this season. She is a hardy woman who can handle frost on the Airstream to pouring rain in the High Country of Montana.

Some of you know how to contact us. We all learn from one another. We also enjoy working with couples who WANT to learn a different life style of Airstream Living. Some like it. Some do not. We are not offended if you do not...

The 2016 Wyoming and the 2104 New Mexico gives you a good idea of why we have our Airstream set up the way we do. Maybe this year Fly Rods again... but those Rock Outcrops sure look tempting to explore in the distance. We do not practice Social Distancing. Some Old People live on the edge... sometimes over the edge, but can climb a rock wall or a tree.

We do hope some that share the 'REAL' temptation of exploring your limits and the limits of your Airstream are out there. You will return sun tanned, smell like a dog (not really), the dust in and outside the Airstream you spent all Winter... cleaning... is now broken in for good. That is us.

Off the Grid driving is an experience you need to learn by doing. What looks bad... to us... is BAD. To you... a mild alternative in watching your tires. A expensive Airstream is no better than a pop up camper in the same situation. When you return to City Traffic... nothing is a threat or worry after weeks living in what is left of the Frontier.

I always 'worry' that my posts are too short. Many eyes glaze over after a paragraph... that is good. I leave the good stuff for those who are truly an Off the Grid Airstream traveler. Any Fool can camp at a RV Park. This is for Big Buses and Bigger RV's with large screen outdoor televisions. Wally Byam had the right idea... take a group far into the Wilds... and see who can finish.