Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

North Platte , NE
Smile Boondocking Black Hills, SD Custer

Hey Everyone! My son and I are looking to do some boondocking near Custer, SD in the Black Hills this weekend. It is a spur of the moment trip because I only have a few days off for work. I know it will be busy with the 4th of July holiday but we have to go when we can. We are going to do some rock climbing with a guide there so I would like to stay as close to Custer as possible. My son really has his heart set on a place with a creek or stream Any ideas? I would appreciate anything, lots of mixed reviews on the area!

Thanks!
sjajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
We love the Black Hills! The Center Lake campground in Custer SP is on a lake and very nice. Works by same-day reservations, call early and excellent chance. Spectacular and special park.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #3

North Platte , NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
We love the Black Hills! The Center Lake campground in Custer SP is on a lake and very nice. Works by same-day reservations, call early and excellent chance. Spectacular and special park.
Thank you! I actually have my alarm set for midnight Mountain time to try and snag one! With the holiday weekend, they are still pretty booked but I am hopeful!! Fingers crossed!
sjajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjajo View Post
Thank you! I actually have my alarm set for midnight Mountain time to try and snag one! With the holiday weekend, they are still pretty booked but I am hopeful!! Fingers crossed!
You need to reserve Custer SP through the South Dakota system. I have had mixed results with their website so suggest you call their agents at 6am Mountain time. 800.710.2267

Good luck….. I think you will succeed.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote