Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Boondocking between Louisville and Lexington

Hi all, Heading to Top of Georgia next week from Northern Illinois. Half way point is between Louisville and Lexington. Looking for a safe boondocking for overnight. Seems the Walmarts in the area no longer allow it. Looking for recommendations. Thank you all in advance!
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
We like Cracker Barrel even more than Walmart, the parking lots have been generally much more quiet. I don't have a specific area to recommend but we have been on the general path you describe several times, we just map the route, and then look for Cracker Barrel locations along that route. Best of luck, enjoy your trip.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Hi all, Heading to Top of Georgia next week from Northern Illinois. Half way point is between Louisville and Lexington. Looking for a safe boondocking for overnight. Seems the Walmarts in the area no longer allow it. Looking for recommendations. Thank you all in advance!
If you are a Moose member, the Sellersburg Indiana Moose #1757 is just off I-65 exit 8 or 9 and has 30 and 50 amp electric and one potable water facucet that can be shared (there are 4 or 5 spots there) and can easily accommodate up to a 50' rig. When I stayed there a few times they have no set fee, you pay what you can, I gave $10/night ate there and bellied up at the bar (which far exceeded my $10 overnight camping donation). On my way to Yellowstone a few years back I stayed at a few Moose Lodge camping areas on my trip. Great folks, great food, very friendly atmosphere.

8 miles closer to Lousiville on the Indiana side near or in New Albany is a KOA. Not great, but ok for overnight and an RV dealer next door for needed RV things. I prefer the Moose Lodge because it backs up to a 5 acre field and of course the Lodge is right there, but you gotta be a member to stay there or go into the Lodge.

There is a Cracker Barrel at 65 and Cty Hwy 311, but it's wicked noisy right next to the highway and parking at that location is kind of tight.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote