Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bedding: Twin Bed- Rock & Roller Sleeper

There appears to be no place for a Twin Bed and a Rock and Roller sleeper Post.

The Twin dimensions: 74 inches long, 29 inches wide, 7 inches thick. Dry weight of Neanderthal sleeping is 171 pounds upon mattress. Six feet of pure muscle and do not shed hair, nor drool on my pillow. Much.

Mattress sheet is curved to fit the one end of the bed. It seems to stay in place from sunset to sunrise. Feels cheap with flimsy elastic sewn onto the bottom edge.

The top sheet is not much better and ends up as loose sheet looking for a way out of the trailer.

The rest of the bedding ends up, pulled out and often much on the floor. One or both Blue Heelers find the bedding comfortable and it takes some effort to remove dogs and restore the bedding back onto the mattress in the middle of the evening.

Although I do not mind sharing the bedding with one or two dogs, they do not share. They want it all for themselves. Blue Heelers are also Australian Cattle Dogs. I am a Neanderthal seeking advice how to out smart these female bedding hoggers.

Both have an accent.

I tuck 25% of the top sheet and top blanket onto the wall side, raise the hallway side and pull the cover and top sheet to lay under the mattress. Slowly drop the mattress to put weight onto the bedding.

My theory is my Arse Weight and Six Feet of Mass would hold everything together. Neither is true. Everything is coming apart by Sunrise.

A heavier top bed spread is then stuffed between the wall and mattress. It eventually ends up on the floor. Most or mostly on the floor.

I tried folding some top bed spread under the wall side of the mattress... and that was not much help, as well. I manage to pull it out, as well. I am a hopeless Neanderthal.

I tend to Rock & Roll, sleeping on my left side to right side to left, etc..

My dreams are not that interesting, so that cannot be the issue.

Eventually I am wrapped up like an Egyptian Mummy or most of the bedding is hanging over the side and I have to remove one or both Blue Heelers that like the comfortable bedding laying on the floor.

If I needed to exit the trailer quickly... I have to 'unwind myself'.

Anyone use wider bedding to fold under the bed, get better results? I am going to try that next. We camp at elevation. By morning it can get down to the upper 20's and lower 30's. We avoid using Propane Heat from the furnace. Not because the furnace does not work, but I would rather cook food with propane.

By Sunrise, the Sun at elevation is a blow torch. Windows and door open to heat the interior. No covers are needed.

I do not mind sleeping without any covers, but the Heelers have fur coats and have their 'binkies' to cover them. Occasionally the youngest Heeler hops onto the bed and warms my feet. If my feet are sticking out the other end... a good dog licking.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Under no circumstances let your dogs sit down and have a heart to heart conversation with our Neuf. He has come up with an "innovation" on the bedding issue. It involves him pouncing on it, regardless of it's location. This *might* be related to his deciding that breakfast is due at 6 AM and that daddy isn't moving ... yet...

Bottom sheet on ours stays in place based on "bed suspenders" holding it there. If you *really* want a grumpy wife, ask her if the sheets need to be suspender sheets need to be changed .

Since the stupid clip things are already there, fastening the bottom end of the top sheet to them works pretty well. Tying in the first blanket to the same also works.

How well tying in the wall side of things with the same clips works is TBD. I'm not a big fan. The process also does not work very well on the high loft top blanket that keeps the propane use manageable. It occasionally joins the Lab on the floor. He likes it a lot. The Neuf doesn't have a chance if it heads for the floor.

Our trailer came with power gizmos to raise your head. They are in storage. The stock mattresses (from 2017) are no longer with us. Thicker "upgrade" mattresses are in their place. This was at the request of she who must be obeyed.

Sheets are all very normal "bought on Amazon" versions. The custom AS stuff is somewhere The Amazon version works no better / no worse than the AS stuff. The Amazon top sheet is a bit wider than the AS equivalent.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:11 AM   #3
Scott the Bruce

2020 27' Globetrotter
Blandford , Berkshire Hills of Western Mass.
Spinner

I am not so much a "rock & roller" as a "spinner" resulting in many of the same issues. I have grown quite accustomed to a weighted blanket I have and it is a battle to keep it in place. The blankets tucked under the twin against the wall push the mattress out noticeably.
The straps mentioned don't have the strength to hold the blankets (or even sheets) in place as I spin. I've been scratching my head for a while on this conundrum.
Tractor tie down chains?
Super glue?
idk

Scott the Bruce
Spurlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
We've found suspenders work pretty well to keep sheets in place. Trick is to catch both sheets and top spread on foot end of wall side and just sheets on hall side. At head end, can either catch both sheets and top spread or just sheets on wall side, again just bottom sheet on hall side.

Something I've just discovered this year that make sleeping much more comfortable, especially when it is cold: Use two regular pillows and a small throw pillow for reading/watching TV at night. For sleeping, take throw pillow and one regular pillow and form a 'wall' from night stand along head portion of the rear wall (we have a rear twin bed model) and part of curve. Just scrunch down to end (even put feet over end of mattress) and it is like a cocoon. No more hitting ring on wall or touching cold metal during the night and waking me up. I am only 5' 10", so may not work for someone taller.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dave-n-Janet... that is a very good option.

We took some larger bed sheets and made them work. Folded to fit and lots of sheet under the mattress. This was for the Oliver Elite II that is 7 feet wide and the bed had custom fitted mattress coverings. Narrow bed to fit the 7 foot width.

That oversized sheet worked and takes some work as the mattress is heavy. We had the Pillows figured out, as Nancy likes to read after Sunset. I am looking at the Road Atlas to figure out where we might be going next at the table.

Sure beats a Tent. Air mattress helped. No windows to observe something moving around in the Forest in a tent. That is what the Blue Heelers are for.

This camping season is coming... should be able to find something else to complain about. If not... I might get, bored. The 27FBQ Airstream is like a hotel room with a bowling lane... in comparison.