Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Collins , Colorado
Basecamp vs 19' Caravel with 3" lift

Hello All, I'm just curious if anyone is using a smaller Airstream like the Caravel 19'r with a 3" lift to get a little further off the beaten path. I'm leaning towards a Basecamp but I really like the more traditional style. Honestly even the smallest double axle would be great, I just want to be able to get down a FS road or something similar without leaving half my undercarriage behind....

Thanks for any input.
mcjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
The consensus for this kind of use seems to a lift kit and sometimes 16 wheels.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
I would not buy a Basecamp myself, although I hate them less after seeing photos of the 1935 Torpedo trailer so I can at least understand where the basic shape came from.

Any of the “conventional” bodied Airstreams will be nicer to camp in. I would just pick the size and plan that works best for you, and then order the lift from Airstream. Just drive a little slower and enjoy! (We have a “beater” 2022 R-Pod to take in to smaller fishing lakes and bird hunting spots).
redthies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sherwood , Arkansas
I boondock my lifted 22fb frequently on public lands out west.Attachment 436000Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_194712.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	436001
Wanderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohn View Post
Hello All, I'm just curious if anyone is using a smaller Airstream like the Caravel 19'r with a 3" lift to get a little further off the beaten path. I'm leaning towards a Basecamp but I really like the more traditional style. Honestly even the smallest double axle would be great, I just want to be able to get down a FS road or something similar without leaving half my undercarriage behind....

Thanks for any input.
I guess it depends on what your definition of FS roads are. I have a 19ft and I've been in many fields at Harvest Host stays. I've been down some dirt roads. It will probably do better than you think if you go really slow.
Honestly though, I try to stay away from that sort of thing. I paid too much and Airstreams in my Opinion are too delicate for off roading. Aluminum is durable, but delicate. I just went on a 4k trip this summer. I was worried about hail storms, but it ended up being a stinking dumptruck that flew past me denting up the top of my Airstream with gravel flying off it. Nothing last forever I guess.
Ironsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 03:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohn View Post

Thanks for any input.

My 2019 Oliver Elite II has 16 inch Michelins, double axle on leaf springs, already has the same clearance as my 2019 27FBQ with the three inch lift AND 16 inch Michelins.

I bought a used 2019 Oliver Elite II. Other than the Truma Hot Water system was not operating, it is an exceptional Off the Grid Travel Trailer and built to withstand using it on any road surface. On the Interstate or Not.

The Frame is super duty reinforced for a 7000# travel trailer for its length. Check for details on the Internet. Both Airstream and Olivers. Cannot go wrong with either, as they both sell easily.

I do not have to make excuses for the Oliver not needing repairs. I haven't needed any. Two years.

For paved roads an Oliver Elite I is adequate as it is single axle.

For everything on or off grid... the Double Axle. You do not need to load up on optional upgrades. Many are not needed, but their Solar and 6volt battery upgrade is Excellent. The manual window shades are shocking... nice.

I also cannot let the 2019 27FBQ International go, either. Lift and 16 inch Michelins and after upgrading screws and hardware, a vey reliable OTG Boondocking Trailer.

After reading about newer Airstreams, i know if I sold the 2019 it could not be replaced without going though the same, fix and upgrade routine.

You will always want MORE Trailer... so the double axle 23 foot Airstream, used... would suit you for a long time. With a 3 lift is a bonus. The 16 inch tires upgrade is less expensive for wheels and tires.

Our 2006 23 foot went anywhere with 14 inch C Rated Marathons for 8 years. And a number of tire upgrades from Goodyears. A 23 foot with 15 inch tires can be upgraded to 16 inch if you like and sell the 15's. The 15 inch wheels will sell quickly to those with towing flat beds.

Used. For us, 2019 is the last year of the fix it yourself Airstreams.

Solar is a plus. AGM Batteries work out well. If there are lots of gravel impacts on the front aluminum or gravel guards, it has been used A LOT on gravel.

Many will buy what they 'need in length', but will go to the next length sooner, than later. The Best... 25 foot. Then 23 foot. If you start with a single axle, you will love the 23 foot, double axle, 16 inch Michelins.

Goes anywhere just with 16 inch tires and no lift kit.

This is sitting around the Campfire questions and answers.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Collins , Colorado
After living in Colorado for just a few months I see what you mean by concerns for hail damage. Seems every other car here has dings all over it. I'm assuming the fiberglass body will have a better chance of surviving hail than the aluminum AS.

They just started carrying Oliver's at a dealer down in Denver so I'm going to spin by and have a look. I can't find any single axles used, but they have a new one there. My GMC Canyon won't tow the double axle.

I'll be looking at a used 2016 FC 19CB and a used 2023 Basecamp 20x the weekend after that, so hopefully I'll settle on something and get my travels started. I often suffer from analysis paralysis
mcjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel