Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

Kennewick , Washington
Bambi 16 Generator

Hi everyone -

I just bought my Bambi 16ft trailer a week ago. Please advise what size generator I will need to run the AC this Summer when boondocking? The AC is 13,500 BTU's.
Anyone have a favorite genny they have purchased?

Thanks a bunch!
shel7435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Bambi 16 Generator

I use a Champion 3500 dual fuel Inverter generator only on propane. I’ve adapted it to run off a quick connect port on my A-frame and run it on the tailgate of my Tacoma pickup. I also installed a front power inlet to make it easy to hook up.

Runs the air conditioning with ease, plus everything else I chose to load on it. The Champion is quiet enough that you can stand outside the Airstream and the air conditioning unit on the roof is noisier...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
I just purchased a Champion 3500 dual fuel as well for a trip to Yellowstone later this summer.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We used a Honda inverter gen with our FC 20: EU 2000is which has been replaced by the 2200 series. One of the quietest if you like staying friends with other campers.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We used a Honda inverter gen with our FC 20: EU 2000is which has been replaced by the 2200 series. One of the quietest if you like staying friends with other campers.
Me too! The Honda is super quiet and dependable. To run the AC you either need two Honda’s or an easy start. There are plenty of threads on this topic.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Also newbies with lots of questions!

Soo, we also have just purchased a 2021 Bambi 16rb, & I don't really understand why I need to buy a generator unless we're boondocking. Will someone please help this "dummy" understand why I wouldn't just use the electricity? Also, IF we do indeed need to buy one, and get the Honda 2000 (or comparable), what is an "easy start" that we will need to use for it? Thanks!!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, you do not need a generator if you camp where there are electric hookups. Or if you camp without hookups for 1 night. Your Bambi likely has an electric only fridge limiting the amount of time you can camp off the grid. The Easy start is a circuit board that is mounted in the AC that lets the AC draw less current at startup. It is only needed or useful if you want to run the AC on a Honda 2200 or perhaps similar generator. If you are not going to camp without hookups you do not need either the generator or the easy start.

If I had a camper with an electric only fridge I would immediately add a DC to DC converter so that the trailer can both keep up with the fridge use and recharge while towing. Most TV charging systems do not put much charge into the trailer. I know mine would not even keep up with a fridge draw and I suspect yours will not either.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
No, you do not need a generator if you camp where there are electric hookups. Or if you camp without hookups for 1 night. Your Bambi likely has an electric only fridge limiting the amount of time you can camp off the grid. The Easy start is a circuit board that is mounted in the AC that lets the AC draw less current at startup. It is only needed or useful if you want to run the AC on a Honda 2200 or perhaps similar generator. If you are not going to camp without hookups you do not need either the generator or the easy start.

If I had a camper with an electric only fridge I would immediately add a DC to DC converter so that the trailer can both keep up with the fridge use and recharge while towing. Most TV charging systems do not put much charge into the trailer. I know mine would not even keep up with a fridge draw and I suspect yours will not either.
The fridge in question will draw about 1.5 amps per hour at most. Maybe 2.2 in Death Valley.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
So Bill M., would I use the dc to dc converter to use with the generator while traveling from point A to point B to keep the food cold??
Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP'n Woman View Post
So Bill M., would I use the dc to dc converter to use with the generator while traveling from point A to point B to keep the food cold??
No. Just start with a full battery at home. Depending on what type and how many batteries you have you would have to drive 24 hours or more before your fridge would run your battery down.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

Shiny 16, I don't understand when I should use the dc to dc converter then. Would you mind helping me understand when to use it please? Also, I'm not sure I understand how or where to even hook one up, please??
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP'n Woman View Post
Shiny 16, I don't understand when I should use the dc to dc converter then. Would you mind helping me understand when to use it please? Also, I'm not sure I understand how or where to even hook one up, please??
Thanks!
First you don’t have a DC to Dc converter as far as I know . Second you don’t need one. Third I don’t think you would ever need one.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Shel, Do you need air conditioning? You can get by on propane for most other needs. How long do you plan to be disconnected? Do you have solar power? For many, the Honda EU2200i is the answer for A/C off grid- quiet, light and reliable. It does require a soft start to reduce the amp surge pulled by the A/c on startup.
SUP’n, I’m not sure what a DC to DC converter is, but most of the posters who raise the hue and cry about NovaKool electric fridges don’t realize they draw much less power than an absorption unit. Check the Basecamp Battery Budget thread for a list of electrical draws in a similar trailer.
Do you need a generator? We camped for 25 years without. Then we moved to Florida and hooked the 11.5 BTU (less amps) A/C in our SOB to our Honda EU 2000i after Hurricane Irma took out our power. A lifesaver! We ran everything else on propane.
Happy Camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote