Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Right you are… I have a standard 30amp Cord w a Marinco household 3 prong plug adapter and a long long extension cord. Previously when plugged into garage household outlet it ran everything in the rig except A/C. Now A/C runs just fine as well (post EZ Start installation). Son in Law has Sprinter w same 13.5 Dometic A/C and post-EZ Start his now runs off extension cord as well. When you say could damage rig… how?
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Part 2: Next test is grabbing my father-in-law’s Honda 1000. I’ll report back results. As a refresher, upon purchasing 2014 AS23, I wanted Deep South US boondocking capability. I “over bought” 2 brand new Honda EU2200is models Genconnex converted to propane, to insure adequacy. w/o EZStart, 1 Honda would run the rig w all on including A/C (would not run in eco-mode though). Could not run A/C when plugged into household circuit w/o generator. Both of them connected would run the rig with both in eco-mode. Post EZ Start install, 1 Honda runs everything and the a/c now works when plugged into household.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Everywhere , Everywhere
Boondocking at Badlands in July? You might want to look up an incident that occurred a few years back during which a trailer (not an Airstream) was literally blown off the cliff of that popular spot during 80 mph winds. Don't underestimate the summer weather out there.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Get an Micro Air Easy Start and install it in the AC. Then use the Honda. It will work fine. Or, buy another Honda and pair them. It is most likely that the one Honda will actually run the AC without the Easy Start. But I would install the Easy Start anyway. I know people who have run their AC's with Honda 2000's. They turn the cold all the way cold so the compressor does not stop and start. I am also thinking that the construction generator has two 2000 watt 110 legs to make 4000 watts at 220 volts and probably will not run the 110 volt AC as well as the Honda does. Watch your voltages. If you keep the voltage up then you will not hurt the AC. If the voltage drops too low you will.

I have not camped in the Badlands. We did get a site in Teddy Roosevelt National Park without electricity and the temperature went well into the 100's. My solution was to hook up and go find a commercial campground with power and restaurants with AC. I am not a hardheaded boondocker, obviously.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMNummi View Post
...... When you say could damage rig… how?
Hi

If you put 240V on a 120V circuit, the results will not be pretty..... Yes, this is tough to do, but folks do manage to do it ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMNummi View Post
When you say could damage rig… how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you put 240V on a 120V circuit, the results will not be pretty..... Yes, this is tough to do, but folks do manage to do it ....

Bob
Correct Bob, the most common way to do it is having an electrician install a 30 amp outlet at your home and he thinks it is the same as a dryer outlet and wires it 240 volts. Note the electrician thinks you called him because you have no clue what you're talking about, so when you tell him it is 120 volt he just ignores you.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Wanderer View Post
Boondocking at Badlands in July? You might want to look up an incident that occurred a few years back during which a trailer (not an Airstream) was literally blown off the cliff of that popular spot during 80 mph winds. Don't underestimate the summer weather out there.

I was out there the night after a Major storm blew threw 3 years ago. We hit that same storm a bit west, “the worst storm I have ever been through in the airstream”! I thought, thank heavens we are in a low profile airstream and not some big box.

Wife and I were terrified!!!!

Had the place to ourselves after that storm...... everyone else left!

Sorry OP...... tangents
Humboldt Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:13 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Answer is nope on the Honda 1k. Good for a charge and lights but on hitting the 13.5 A/C even w/ ez start it turns on but upon compressor start up immediately shuts down. So far single propane Honda EU2200 “companion” does the trick for a single A/C and all accessories running in eco-mode. Is there any circumstance (other than as a back-up) where 2 would be needed? I’ve plugged in coffee makers, hair dryers, etc. the single Honda 2200 just keeps chugging w/o missing a beat.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

abbotsford , British Columbia
A honda 2000 will run a 13.5 A/C only if you switch off everythign else, including battery charging. It will run an 11,500 or 9000 no problem. I had a polar cubin my truck camper and teh 2000 had no issues. My current RV has a 13,500. I have an onboard genrator, but I have tested it with my honda. It runs it, but only just.
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
get a 2nd honda and run them together.
x2.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #31

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Not bad without generator

We are boondocking in the nomad view of Badlands with our 11 and 9 yo. We got in yesterday afternoon and it was really windy. We opened the windows to the lowest notch and kept the door open. It cooled off in 3 hours. We closed everything up at 10:30 pm and were comfortable sleeping inside. Today we explored the park and town and came back to our spot around 4. Last night went so well that we are staying tonight too. And it was 102 an hour ago. It’s so breezy that as long as you’re in the shade it’s not bad. There are about 40 other rigs up here on the ridge. Hope this helps, enjoy your 4th!
DarnNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Fort Robinson, Nebraska Badlands at Toadstool Park

There are the Nebraska Badlands north of Crawford, Nebraska. Off of Highway 71 that goes to the Black Hills and Hot Springs, South Dakota. Toadstool Park. Get a map there. Sets you up for the Black Hills that you will see in the distance. On top of the Badlands of Toadstool looking north. That is where the Black Hills use to be, unless they had to move them...

Now if you Boondock, go a bit north, make a turn across the Railroad tracks and go West. You can OTG Boondock along the Badlands and go hiking around. May even find some fossil bones... not human, of course.

Just to the West of Crawford, Nebraska is For Robinson State Park. Excellent facility. Lots of room for everyone. Fresh Water. Restrooms. Food. Horseback riding. Thousands of acres away from the lights of the City. Crazy Horse was killed there in 1877.

Was there last month. Power. Dump Station. Showers. Lots of ticks in the grass for you and your dog(s). How do we know? Guess.

Badlands are everywhere in west Nebraska and west towards Douglas, Wyoming. How do I know? I am a Neanderthal Geologist. I like fossils mice, rabbits, lizards, squirrel, horse, camel... if on private land with permission. Of course.

I have been to the South Dakota Badlands. Drive through. Stop and look. Then go to western Nebraska, walk all over the Badlands in the National Grasslands.

Why am I giving this information out? Once... it was a secret place in the pre Internet Days. Now this is a relief to walk around an old Indian Cavalry Fort, Museum, old restored Brick Buildings you can spend the night, Olympic Swimming Pool. Once a week Rodeo for Free.

Go there tell us about your experience in South Dakota and then Nebraska.

I am telling you as nobody else knows the difference. The Nebraska Badlands at Toadstool Park are great, rugged and you wander around, get lost and the coyotes will gather...
Old 07-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
UPDATE: Mission accomplished.
Despite daytime temp of 90, it cooled off enough at night to go without a/c. Ran the water pump, fridge dc fan, and occasional light from battery power. Redneck solution for powering CPAP machine: 25ft. dc powerport extension cord from tow vehicle to my Phillips Dreamstation.
Fired up the big generator in the morning to make two pots of coffee, charge the batteries for my entire traveling group, and microwave some bacon.
My hillbilly creation of 4-sided sound deadening box worked great.Attachment 399014Attachment 399013Click image for larger version

Name:	20210701183651.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	399017Attachment 399015Attachment 399016
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote