Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Any Hunters out there ?

Any "boondocking" hunters out there in Airstream land ? The wife and I and our bird dogs hunt 4-5 months a year out of our 66 Ambassador. If the dogs aren't dirty, we put an old quilt on the floor and let them in for a while to warm up when it's cold. They are trained to "stay" on the quilt. At 56, the AS sure beats the hell out of tent camping/hunting as we did in the old days !

Dan
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Yep, we do a fair amount of hunting and fishing out of our AS. We are fortunate to live in the middle of some of the best hunting in Idaho right in our back yeard. We do take a number of fishing trips and if I had a dog, I would do more bird hunting, which is my favorite.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

We bowhunt in Colorado for deer, elk and moose when we draw a tag in Colorado in our Airstream.
It does beat a tent.
We have modified our trailer with solar, bigger batteries, led lights, a water filter and radiant heat for living off the grid.
We have a 25, specifically for driving on forest service roads and getting into tight campsites.
I like to bird hunt also but there isn't much of it in early fall before we go south for the winter.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
When we are done with the remodel. We will be traveling and following the seasons with 3 labradors and the wife's 2 collies and 4 rabbits.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Yep, we do a fair amount of hunting and fishing out of our AS. We are fortunate to live in the middle of some of the best hunting in Idaho right in our back yeard. We do take a number of fishing trips and if I had a dog, I would do more bird hunting, which is my favorite.
We live 100 miles from Coeur D' Alene. Good grouse around there ! We have Labs and Britts, same lines for 26 years.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
We bowhunt in Colorado for deer, elk and moose when we draw a tag in Colorado in our Airstream.
It does beat a tent.
We have modified our trailer with solar, bigger batteries, led lights, a water filter and radiant heat for living off the grid.
We have a 25, specifically for driving on forest service roads and getting into tight campsites.
I like to bird hunt also but there isn't much of it in early fall before we go south for the winter.
We have talked about making a combo Grouse and Ptarmigan hunt in Colorado. Would love bagging a Ptarmigan for mounting. Probably leave the AS down low and spike out up high a few days for Ptarmigan.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #7
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Yup!
My AS never goes anywhere. It just sits up at my land. It's my get-a-way from the city and the base camp for deer hunting, tractoring and a little fishing.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
I hope to take advantage of some hunting opportunities in the future (have to figure out the non-resident requirements). At the present time I have everything arranged to carry all of my flyfisihing and flytying "stuff."
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I carry a 22 rifle in case I see a dusky grouse while looking around for deer and elk in Colorado. I shoot a few of these great eating birds. People with dogs and shotguns can usually get a limit of 3 in good habitat but they have to cover a lot of ground.
I haven't seen a ptarmigan in years, but there are a few of them around. They need high vegetation for shelter above timberline and where there is high altitude snowmobiling, the bushes get beaten down.
District 10 in NW Colorado has a short season for sage grouse. I saw several covies before and after the season but someone got to them before I did. I was just walking around trying to flush them myself. Again it is a job for a good dog.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Ladylongwinger

1999 27' Safari
McAllister , Montana
I have a '99 27' Safari that has been customized for falconry and one-person travel. I have an English Setter and a new English Pointer puppy and have recently moved to SW Montana. Always looking for fellow falconers who have Airstreams. I want to upgrade to solar but for now use generators when necessary. Works great for fly fishing too!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I will be 60 in may, hunted my entire life. An Airstream is the best mobile base camp EVER. Our 64 Safari has been ground up rebuilt for extended booney camping. Plans for 2015, CA. tags for Archery Deer (D-3,4,5), (D-6) and upland game stamp. I would like to get an Elk tag in Idaho or Utah this year or next also.

Ladylongwing "I have a '99 27' Safari that has been customized for falconry and one-person travel."

Lady,
what a great Idea!
I have a good friend who just got his Falconers license here in California.
I will have to tell him about you and your trailer.
Who knows maybe another AS owner in the future.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
Any "boondocking" hunters out there in Airstream land ? The wife and I and our bird dogs hunt 4-5 months a year out of our 66 Ambassador. If the dogs aren't dirty, we put an old quilt on the floor and let them in for a while to warm up when it's cold. They are trained to "stay" on the quilt. At 56, the AS sure beats the hell out of tent camping/hunting as we did in the old days !

Dan
Amen to that. Have done bunches of trips to the Coconino National Forest, up on the Mogollion Plateau in Arizona. I have a 2007 AS and the underside of the trailer is enclosed and have to exercise extra care in back country because of the low ground clearance and enclosed underside. Punched a hole 4.0" diameter when crawling over small river rocks. Opps, big surprise.

Water seems to be the limiting factor when dry camping. I can stay out about a week by myself without much of a problem. Have Honda generator for AC power.

Have at it, enjoy.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylongwing View Post
I have a '99 27' Safari that has been customized for falconry and one-person travel. I have an English Setter and a new English Pointer puppy and have recently moved to SW Montana. Always looking for fellow falconers who have Airstreams. I want to upgrade to solar but for now use generators when necessary. Works great for fly fishing too!
Lady,

Falconry...Very Cool !!! I have (2) friends that are falconers. "The sport of Kings," in your case, Queens !

We have hunted Montana a bunch over the last 20 years, big game and birds !
We usually make a bird hunt every year around Thanksgiving.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I will be 60 in may, hunted my entire life. An Airstream is the best mobile base camp EVER. Our 64 Safari has been ground up rebuilt for extended booney camping. Plans for 2015, CA. tags for Archery Deer (D-3,4,5), (D-6) and upland game stamp. I would like to get an Elk tag in Idaho or Utah this year or next also.

Ladylongwing "I have a '99 27' Safari that has been customized for falconry and one-person travel."

Lady,
what a great Idea!
I have a good friend who just got his Falconers license here in California.
I will have to tell him about you and your trailer.
Who knows maybe another AS owner in the future.
Batman,

My Dad bought an AS in the 50's. It stayed at the duck club in Wasco, CA for the entire season until the late 60's. It was the Gilbreath bros duck club, on gun club rd. We would go hunting every weekend during the season. In the late 60's, Dad moved the AS down to the Salton Sea where we hunted Wister Refuge. As a small kid I knew someday I'd have an AS to hunt out of. Some of the best times of my life back then ! Back in the day, there were lots of pheasants in the cotton fields from Wasco to Kettleman city.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
morgan hill , California
OK. I have to ask.. How do you winterize an Airstream for cold weather hunting? I had a Featherlite SURV (total length was 31' with gooseneck) that was ideal. Heating pads attached to grey and black tanks, 100G fresh water inside the trailer so less likely to freeze. I installed a propane generator in the front compartment after I used a power inverter for 4 trips to run the 110 freezer that was in the back for meat. It would carry everything inside for hunting. I survived one hunting season where it was down below zero at night and just above during the day with heavy snowfall and gusty winds in SD. But now use a lighter and smaller Airstream for "warm weather" camping. So much easier to pull and park....But no 6500lbs of carry capacity anymore either.
1greengarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
So... What trailer do you have? Are you hunting Elk or moose and need the freezer space? If you tow with a pickup maybe a Yeti type ice chest and dry ice would keep the meat cold enough. A good gen set and plenty of propane to run the heater to keep the tanks liquid. My 23 has the heater pads for the tanks.

Either way you'll be burning fuel to keep it all going.

How long are you out for? Boondocking or hooked up somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

If it is cold enough to freeze the tanks, I am in Mexico.
I used to hunt in November but switched to archery where the season is in September and the weather is moderate, most of the time.
We have nighttime temps in the teens occasionally but it warms up to well above freezing in the day--not enough to freeze the tanks.
We have two big, wheeled coolers, enough for a boned out Shiras moose. The coolers are five day and we add a bag of ice every other day. Be sure to keep the meat out of the water.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I pheasant hunt in South Dakota, but that's as cold as I get. It's usually below freezing at night but warms during the day. Running the furnace at night is an easy solution, as long as you have access to propane. I have two Honda 2000 generators that I carry in my truck bed for juice if I don't have hookups.

I think next year we should plan a trip to moosehunt together in the snow...

Hibby

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

We hunt moose with a bow in September. The hardest things about a moose hunt is getting a tag and getting the moose in the coolers. Start accumulating points, it takes three to get in the draw in Colorado.