Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
santa rosa , California
Any boondock tips for big sur??

Hello
We are taking our 25 AS to big sur. We have a couple days without reservations and I was wondering if anyone has experience boondocking in Bog Sur?
Thanks
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
If those two days are weekends... Maybe after labor day youll find a campground. I don't believe you'll find any boondock sites. An option is the monterey city park up on the hill in a pinch. Pretty cool little place. Google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I see you're from Santa Rosa, so I assume you're already pretty familiar with the geography of Big Sur: a lot of really steep hills. Whatever flat areas I've seen have long been occupied by various public and private interests. I think I would have more luck looking for boondocking sites in Manhattan, but I'll be following these posts with interest to see what turns up!
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
santa rosa , California
Haha thanks. You are probably right
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
The Santa Cruz marina has an RV park that so far seems to go pretty under the radar. If you don't already know about it they don't exactly advertise. The only problem is getting ahold of them to make a reservation....which is probably why they're never fully booked. Just a suggestion.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Try Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

We hit the Big Sur area one time hoping to find a spot, but had no luck; everything was booked. However, we were able to camp in the Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park parking lot. Turned out to be one or our best spots (and most secluded) ever.

The park ranger we spoke to said that they let self contained units in (most have your own toilet at a minimum if I recall correctly) after 5PM. You need to be out prior to 9AM the next morning. You park in the parking lots; not at a camp site. We were the only ones there and had a great experience.

You are limited in your time that you can stay and there are no campfires allowed, however it worked out great for us. If you can't find a camp spot in the area, this may be a good fall back plan.

Good luck.
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Port Townsend , 98368
Big Sur

Could't agree more with Pheiffer, fantastic spot.
NatandGregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
Big Sur

There arem nice campgrounds south of Big Sur in Cambria, Cayucos, and Moro Bay.
There is a place in Big Sur, you can look it up on line, that rents airstreams as rooms to camp in. They might have room. There is another place that rents yurts, Mongolian tents, maybe they would let you stay on their property. There is a campground at San Simeon also.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Exclamation Few Roads

This is in addition to the very good recommendations above. As always, your mileage may vary, and you are subject to the laws of "good seamanship".

The area is Los Padres NF, and officially you can camp nearly anywhere in the NF unless its posted "No Camping". Three roads provide access that I know if for boondocking (dispersed) camping:

1) Naciemento Road. Just north of Kirk Creek campground (check for walk-up available sites and take it if you can), a good paved road that can be steep at times but passable towing a 28ft Airstream. No killer sites, but in a pinch you can use a turnout to sleep in on this road. At the top you can go to Cone Peak (no good sites or turnaround on this road) but it has been burned out. Or you can head for Prewitt Ridge, but the road becomes scary after less than a mile. I chose not to take my trailer down there. But if you can get down the road after about 14 miles the view at Prewitt Ridge is Nirvana.

2) Plaskett Creek Road. Just south of the campground (if you can get walk-up camping here - take it). Do not take this road with an Airstream. I drove it to near the top and needed to turn around in my SUV- too scary and rutted. If you have clearance and/or really big b$%%s, then the view will be Nirvana at the top.

3) Los Burros Road. At Treebones resort. Well maintained, potentially steep and I drove it in the dark in my little Ford C-Max so no clearance issues. Once you get to the top the landscape opens up with many potential sites. And views to boot. Nirvana again. What I recommend is to unhitch at the bottom, and scout it out and lay a claim to a site when you get to the top.

There are also turnouts on CA-1; technically you are not supposed to camp overnight but are worth a try. If the CHIP or Monterey County sheriff boot you out, then good!

Good luck.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
"There are also turnouts on CA-1; technically you are not supposed to camp overnight but are worth a try. If the CHIP or Monterey County sheriff boot you out, then good!"

I meant to say if the DON'T boot you out, then good!
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Well if you're already heading as far south as Morro Bay you're welcome to our spot at Pismo Creek RV in Pismo Beach...we aren't using it at the moment
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
"There are also turnouts on CA-1; technically you are not supposed to camp overnight but are worth a try. If the CHIP or Monterey County sheriff boot you out, then good!"

I meant to say if the DON'T boot you out, then good!
We spent a single night in these, twice, when we were out there several years ago. The advantage to being small.

Just pulled in, parked for the night......and, ohhhhhh the view in the morning.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Kirk Creek Campground

Kirk Creek is on a rise right on the ocean. It is a US Forest Service managed campground. 50% of the sites are first come first serve BUT you have better be their EARLY in the day as folks line up out along Hwy 1. I see why too as Kirk Creek is a beautiful spot. Not all the site are trailer friendly....mostly tent campers. We arrived before 9am on an August morning and there were 2 spots just opened up of which 1 would accept our 26' Trade Wind.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03246.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	247144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03365.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	247145  

Click image for larger version