Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A few years ago I was at a vintage rally in CO Springs, and pretty much had a mild annoying headache the whole time. Previously I'd spent a week in Denver on a business trip with no issues at all.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
One of the reasons altitude sickness usually comes on at night is that one tends to breathe more shallowly at night, so O2 intake goes down. Standard procedure in acclimatizing for climbing a high mountain is to carry gear up a thousand feet or so during the day and to sleep at a lower elevation at night. Another useful technique is called "power breathing." You breathe somewhat deeply, without exaggerating it, and then exhale with a puff like you were blowing out a candle. This creates back pressure in the lungs that increases O2 intake. It is said to be the equivalent of being 1,000' lower in elevation. This technique is most useful if started when the first onset of altitude sickness happens, and continued until you no longer have any symptoms and more or less forget to keep doing it because you don't need to anymore. Another useful technique is the mountaineer's rest step, but as this only applies to climbing a mountain, I won't go into it unless there is particular interest. Power breathing can be used by anyone under any circumstances. It's not a sure cure, but it helps.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
A couple of days ago, the Wall Street Journal had a pretty good article on overcoming altitude sickness.

Climb Every Mountain, Without Altitude Sickness - WSJ

Among other things, the article said:

>>

Researchers are still uncovering some of the mysteries of altitude-related health problems. Genetic factors seem to make some people less susceptible to altitude sickness. People over 50 have a slightly lower risk, perhaps because the brain shrinks slightly as it ages. Men and women seem to be equally at risk, although symptoms might be more severe in men. And, interestingly, people’s fitness levels seem to have little to do with who is susceptible.

“Altitude illness is caused by the interaction of genes and the environment, and it can happen to the sedentary executive or the triathlete,” says Peter Hackett, director of the nonprofit Institute for Altitude Medicine in Telluride, Colo.
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I have done some extensive mountaineering. I take a few "real" aspirin a few days before I go up. Thins the blood and seems to hold oxygen better. Self remedy......
Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #25
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I live in the Rockies at 8,000'. Having moved here from OK, it took awhile to adjust. Our ER is full all summer with folks experiencing the negative effects of altitude. The key to minimizing these effects is hydration. Drink plenty of water if you plan to visit. Drink two to three times more than you normally drink. And keep drinking it during your entire travels at altitude. Also, if you have issues with gout, it is even more necessary that you stay hydrated. Another factor is alcohol. If you drink alcohol, expect to feel the effects sooner and more heavely at higher altitudes.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Google Earth maps has a cool function. If you drag the cursor over a given location…It gives you the altitude on the bottom of the screen. It also gives latitude and longitude for you GPS users.

I learned that the top of my property was at 1200 feet and the bottom was at 1100 feet. It was actually useful info while I was designing a passive solar shower.
We use Google Earth quite a bit for elevations, but find that the routing functions are limited. A workaround is to save a route in Google Mapmaker, export it to a KML file, and then import that route file into Google Earth. Works well, and you can then turn on the elevation profile view to see what that day's route will be like. The attached screenshot is from a trip across Italy we did one month ago, cycling. The profile shown is from Day 2. All in, it was 550 km in 5 days, with 8000 meters of elevation gain (and descent, since we went coast to coast).

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trek Cross Italy Days 1-5 Text.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	242024  
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
I have done some extensive mountaineering. I take a few "real" aspirin a few days before I go up. Thins the blood and seems to hold oxygen better. Self remedy......
Hmmm....already artificially "thinned", I should be in great shape.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #28
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm in Flagstaff for the summer, first week I had trouble sleeping due to my breathing.
I used to get off work @ 8:00am from Fairfield Ca, elev. 35', then drive the 2 1/2 hours to Alpine Meadows, base 7000'
I would find my Tahoe local buddies and away we would go, I would get soo winded from keeping up, between lack of sleep and altitude, I would be trashed by 3:00. By the third day of that week I could run with them all day.
I felt privileged to get to hammer the slopes with the locals, hike the ridges, steeps, trees, and OB, for I'd be dropped like a stone if I couldn't keep up.
Another thing I found out about altitude, meals eaten between altitude changes (say 6000') would tend to digest differently, and cause a more urgent purge outside my "normal" time frame.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Our experience is similar. In younger years while hiking Mt Whitney about half our group was overcome with Altitude Sickness. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to whom was affected. Mostly young, quite fit and no breathing issues. We did the 2 day climb from east side and backtracked slightly to our overnight camping spot at a lower elevation near a beautiful flowing waterfall. It was a very rough night for many. Severe headaches, cramping and intestinal problems. It was also rather cold and the wind howled across like a train and would flatten our tents on top of us. Luckily there were a nice set of brand new solar toilets that provided shelter and warmth for many that felt ill. Rather than trek back and forth thru camp several just left on their boots and coats and took their sleeping bags and hung out in the fancy porta johns. In the morning the waterfall hung frozen in mid fall.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another thing I found out about altitude, meals eaten between altitude changes (say 6000') would tend to digest differently, and cause a more urgent purge outside my "normal" time frame.

Well, that sounds delightful.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
I told my Oklahoma physician that I had experienced altitude problems in Leadville, CO for the first time in 30 years. She told me she would write me a Rx so it wouldn't happen next time. When I looked at the paper, it said, "Spend the night in Santa Fe."
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Smart doc! We know that the two days driving from Texas to Colorado allows us to slowly acclimatize. When we fly, we are particularly vigilant about hydrating before, during and after the flight, and often spend the first night in Denver. It is only half as high as our cabin, and gives our bodies time to adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
FIVE CENTS to keep Hydrated at Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie 1 View Post
I told my Oklahoma physician that I had experienced altitude problems in Leadville, CO for the first time in 30 years. She told me she would write me a Rx so it wouldn't happen next time. When I looked at the paper, it said, "Spend the night in Santa Fe."

I laughed so hard, it gave me a headache....

I use the Penny System for hydration. At home and on the road. It is the 5 cent routine.

I have seven single cents on the window sill at home and a 14 ounce cup. Each time I drink a cup of water, I slide a cent over. Each day I try to have at the minimum, FIVE CENTS worth. The sixth cent is a bonus. Seven... it must have been a busy working outside day. Anything other than water does not count towards your five cents worth. OK. Coffee, caffeinated sodas, beer, wine... although pop cycles are worth a little bit.

When working hard digging into a shale deposit for trilobites in Nevada or Utah you can go through a DIME's worth of water and maybe have to relieve yourself once, maybe twice. It can be so dry you do not perspire as it evaporates so fast off your skin. Your skin will be shiny and salty, but not wet unless you are wearing a cap to water your hair follicles.

I always have a large Costco can of Peanuts (slight allergy to them, but I know when to stop eating them) along on trips, mixed nuts and either corn chips or potato chips for the salt and something to burn for energy. Energy bars are OK, but maybe too healthy for me.

When you are licking your lips and they are... salty. Too little water intake. If your dog(s) are licking you and keep following you closely... too little water intake.

When your have burned up your breakfast and working hard at elevation, there comes a point where you swear someone "pulled the plug" and you just want to sit down and doze off to sleep. Too little water AND no food consumed. Eat like a bird foraging when hiking around. Although, if you weigh yourself the next morning, you might lose 2 to 5 pounds... mostly water but maybe some of that stored fat gets used up as well. Not my department.

I normally weigh in the 178 to 181 pound range for 6 feet tall. I can be down to 172 if the digging or the walking for miles looking for unusual rocks consume my attention. My wife says if I get below 170, she is hauling me off to the doctor. Since, as a male, I do not enjoy a visit to the doctor, I carry plenty of water and snacks when away from camp. Remember the "Smart Porters" carrying food and water. Their loads get lighter over time, while the other porters are carrying the same load coming and going... just a thought.

If you want to lose weight, having a mountain climbing or rock hunting/hiking hobby might be the secret. Of course, if you look at those that already are doing these active interests, they are all bone and muscle. Fat is a luxury, if the winter was sedentary and holiday left overs in excess...

If you become drowsy hiking in the west, DRINK WATER. If you are not drowsy and your energy level is like a dead battery... EAT A CHEESEBURGER AND FRIES and Drink Water. It does not have to be out of a plastic store bought water bottle. Some of the water you drink in the Rockies from small towns might be the best Spring Water available for free. Our well water comes out of the well at close to 58F and almost, I said almost, as good as Micro Brewery Beer.

This is a very diverse community from the responses! The USA Olympic Committee have an arena in Colorado Springs at 6,000 feet plus. Maybe take it to Leadville, CO at 10,000 feet... Oh well. Just a thought.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

This is, indeed, an important thread...valuable for those coming to high mountain regions, from sea level. Also, a good reminder for those of us living in lower Colorado! Case in point...Denver at 5280. In my younger years...late 50's...I eagerly skiied black diamond runs of Winter park, Breckinridge, Purgatory MTN, Vail, etc...hiked the highest mountain trails, backpack camping...all activities with no high altitude effects.
Now, in mid 70's...a different story! 2013, towing a T@B trailer...camped just north of Durango 3 days, then on to Silverton, where I experienced a serious case of altitude sickness. After trying to ignore symptoms...(DUMB)!...finally admitted that what I was feeling, was indeed, serious, I grabbed a tank of 02, bottled water, and asked for help breaking camp, left 3 days early, drove as carefully as possible till I reached lower altitude...from Silverton to Ouray...a gut wrenching drive, at the best of times...then onward till lower altitudes calmed the worst of it. Once at home,...and a trip to my MD, was safe, after a week, getting back to normal for me.

So, this year, I decide to be careful, and only went to Durango for a week. While I did not experience altitude sickness, I was quite lethargic and unable to do more than just sit around camp. Short strolls were physically stressing. 02 use helped, but, not enough for me to do what I wanted to do on my trip.

This, of course, makes me sad, as my preferred regions to camp in my AS, are mountainous! I will continue, but, with caution.

My point being...living in Denver area at 5280, does no longer provide me with immunity to effects of altitude. Aging, and some illnesses that may come along...all take toll on our abilities to deal with altitude. While sea level dwellers plan to visit these beautiful mountains of ours...for your own health and safety, please take the time to acclimate to higher elevations, consider your own health status, and take necessary precautions accordingly. If your health issues will be helped, ask your MD TO PRESCRIBE 02, for your use if needed. Best to be prepared if you do need it. Do consider your own health needs. Be aware of the possible symptoms of progressive altitude sickness, and react accordingly, early on.

Enjoy your vacation trips and return home with good health and plenty of photos and great memories! HAPPY TRAILS, YA'LL!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Ray, I want to thank you for your many postings. I've found several, and find them to be insightful, interesting, humorous, (at times), and mostly, quite valuable. I look forward to your and Maggie's renditions of the current trip. Envious, wish I could join in, and will enjoy via your writings. Safe journey!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Attitude Sickness has NO CURE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, I want to thank you for your many postings. I've found several, and find them to be insightful, interesting, humorous, (at times), and mostly, quite valuable. I look forward to your and Maggie's renditions of the current trip. Envious, wish I could join in, and will enjoy via your writings. Safe journey!

Next time, I am sure you will be up to an adventure not of your making.

I will let Maggie and the others do renditions. I would find myself being too pompous and biased finding the biggest and best New Mexico Rosettes among the group, which is my current prediction. Even if it has to be found in my pocket, before the trip.

It appears we will also have an expert Indian Artifact individual on this trip. I am looking forward to that and get some time around the Community Fire Pit, talking Archaeology and the American Indian of the past.

I suffer from chronic "Attitude Sickness". If I am not exploring to bring things home. I am exploring home to toss things out.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You guys are too funny.

Ray....there is some excitement coming thru with you. You are looking forward to Peter Pan-ing us out into the Wilderness.

You know, neither Doug nor I ever had any difficulty with altitude. Not flying, nor in the Tetons, Glacier, Pikes Peak, Colorado Rockies....nothing, ever.

I was on blood thinners before we bought our first RV...the 77 Barth...in 2002, and Doug took an aspirin every day for his own reasons.

It really makes me wonder if thinner blood is the ticket to not getting altitude sickness.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Maggie, while I wish thinner blood is the panacea, I regret to say...not for all. After 4 episodes of DVTs, pulmonary embolism over 5 years, blood studies reveal that I have 4 of the 5 factors that predispose me to blood clot formation. For past several years, I've been on daily Coumadin and daily aspirin therapy. As previously posted...that does not prevent altitude sickness for me. Of couse, in my case, there is a genetic factor involved...sad for me.

I am glad for you that you are not as susceptible. Enjoy the mountains and your solo trips. Doug will watch over you! God bless you.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a genetic factor, too.

Well, for whatever reason....I am not anticipating problems with the altitude, and hope that is the case.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

If you've not had problems up to now, you probably won't! Have a terrific trip!