Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Yes ... I have the regular "Q" with the built-in regulator. I have had it for over a year, and it has always worked flawlessly, but this is my first time using it at anything above about 1,000ft altitude. I probably should have given more consideration to a marginal regulator on my unit, but when I saw the note posted on Webers own web page about poor performance at higher altitude, my mind raced forward into getting past that. Unfortunately, no matter what I do once I get back home where I have a more potent set of tools and supporting items, I won't be able to field test again at high altitude for at least 6 months, maybe longer, so I won't know if I have made my situation any better. Thanks for all the feedback, its good to know that others can use the stock "Q" with portable propane tanks ... I definitely prefer that, so I can place the grill where its most convenient, and I will seek that kind of solution for sure.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:22 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
2020 19' Bambi
Pueblo West , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I regularly use my Airstream branded Weber Q in high altitudes, directly connected to the low pressure propane port on the Airstream. I’ve never had any problems with it.
Ditto here
trilink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilink5 View Post
Ditto here
I easily get my Q1200 up to 450 degrees or more, even at high altitudes and in cooler weather.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Yes ... I have the regular "Q" with the built-in regulator. I have had it for over a year, and it has always worked flawlessly, but this is my first time using it at anything above about 1,000ft altitude. I probably should have given more consideration to a marginal regulator on my unit, but when I saw the note posted on Webers own web page about poor performance at higher altitude, my mind raced forward into getting past that. Unfortunately, no matter what I do once I get back home where I have a more potent set of tools and supporting items, I won't be able to field test again at high altitude for at least 6 months, maybe longer, so I won't know if I have made my situation any better. Thanks for all the feedback, its good to know that others can use the stock "Q" with portable propane tanks ... I definitely prefer that, so I can place the grill where its most convenient, and I will seek that kind of solution for sure.
Funny! Now that I think about it, mine has never been used at anything below 5,000 ft so I don't know if it will work at see level......

Seriously, have you tried taking the burner off and checking to make sure there is nothing clogging the intake like a spider or rust on the outlet ports? This would maybe cause performance loss at higher altitude.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
To 1StreamDream

I'd highly recommend modifying the nozzle, at least. As one of the other post stated, the Q is "under ported". This made a big difference in my Q1000 - how quickly it heats up, the temperature it cooks at, how it deals with wind, and more. It truly made a big difference - at sea level and at Grant Campground in Yellowstone.

You could do the modification in 2 parts.

Part 1
Remove the valve/regulator assembly
Remove propane nozzle
Replace with 1.0mm nozzle or drill out with #60 drill
Reassemble
Cook steaks using portable propane bottles

Use the Q for awhile and decide if you want to stay with propane bottles or connect it to the AS.

Part 2
Remove the valve/regulator assembly
Remove regulator and discard
Attach adapter and hose to valve
Reassemble
Cook steaks using AS propane
Old 08-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
For those that are following this thread ...
See this post also....
Weber 1200 dual low pressure and high pressure
Old 09-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
nryn:
This sounds like the mod I'm looking for. Please post if you find the adapter specs and/or source. thanks
They are sold in hardware sores and on line. Called a steak saver since it lets you finish when you tank runs out, by connecting a 1 Lb cylinder. Mine cost about$15 CAD at Canadian Tire but I've seen them on line for up to $25 USD
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #28
Teton22

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
Nexgrill

I looked at a lot of options after experiencing sticker shock on the Weber and found the Nexgrill tabletop model. At 1200 btu, it is a double burner and heats up quickly.
The first trip out was at 6200’ and it worked great.
I did switch out the fuel line for a quick connect to my trailer gas and it took a bit of searching to find a cover but the grill is very good and the cost was much less than a Weber.
Teton 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Regulator issue?

We have used ours up to 9500', and had no trouble all last weekend in Breckenridge, CO. We are always connected via the port on the A-frame; I have never tried it with a standalone source.

Test it running off the LP port on the trailer, first removing the regulator from the grill.

You should see temps around 350 at half flame to the 500 range at full open.

Note: check it with a digital therm; the one on the grill is useless.

NrG
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
A million chickens later...we replaced the burner and regulator on our Q.
Works much better.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
nryn:
This sounds like the mod I'm looking for. Please post if you find the adapter specs and/or source. thanks
Hi. I know there's another thread on this topic now but I thought I'd post here.

I have purchased a few conversion kits—from Torjik and from MB Sturgis. I don't recall why I tried both or which one is currently on my grill.

The Sturgis provides the ability out of the box to use the grill with high pressure cylinders, but really this is just a matter of moving the OEM regulator to a hose via a set of adapters and can be done with any conversion kit. I do remember the Torjik did attach to the grill quite solidly and had very good instructions.

I still need to open my "kitchen" cargo container to see which one is on the grill currently (i.e. the one I "kept"). Since converting, I use the grill exclusively with the Airstream's quick connect LP port. I've not had any issues with grill performance at any altitude.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Ditto on the MB Sturgis conversion, easy, takes 10-15 mins, works great with AS quick-connect, I used it from Yellowstone and Key West, steaks, no problems! Get 10 feet of hose. They include a quick connect for the Q regulator so it can also use 1 lbs. bottles too.

Here is their link:
https://mbsturgis.com/products/weber...onversion-kit/

This is the store:
https://caloreequipment.com/products...onversion-kit/

with 10 ft hose, $64 bucks
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
2022 23' Globetrotter
Callao , Virginia
I’m not at all handy, but had no trouble converting my Weber 1000 to run off the low pressure outlet on my AS.

See https://mbsturgis.com/products/weber-q-quick-disconnect-deluxe-conversion-kit/ for a parts kit. Click on “GET MORE INFORMATION AND BUY” and scroll to the bottom for an outstanding video even I could follow for the installation. This conversion lets you switch between your AS low pressure outlet and the disposable fuel canisters with quick connects. Our Weber 1000 gets about 400 degrees at 7,000 feet now attached to the AS. Haven’t tried on canisters since the conversion. The conversion took me about 20 - 30 minutes and I’m about as un-adept as you can be.
kmrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrice View Post
I’m not at all handy, but had no trouble converting my Weber 1000 to run off the low pressure outlet on my AS.
You can't say that anymore!
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Several posts recommended drilling out the nozzle to increase flow. Would like to know where the replacement was purchased, as I would like to do the same.

Note, the proper name for the nozzle is orifice. A chart showing BTU output for various orifice sizes can be found here. Need to look at the last column for LP gas.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Greghoro -
That chart you linked showing the BTU output for orifice size is interesting. Thanks for providing that.

The Weber Q-2000 & 2200 grills both have a BTU rating of 12,000 BTU. While the Q-1000 & Q-1200 have an 8,500 BTU rating. To get 12,000 BTU, they'd have to have an orifice hole equivalent to a #58, 59 drill.

Since I took the path of drilling out my orifice (with a #60 drill), I did not attempt to buy a replacement. So I can't help you there.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellingham , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreUT View Post

Our Weber Q worked well……….using the 10 ft hose connected to the camper propane port. Easy modification to add the propane hose quick connect to the grill.

Can you provide details what parts are needed and where you got them from.

Thanks in advance
romanf17 is offline   Reply With Quote