Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Can you say "Rockdockin"?--its the best!
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Hey Rambn,

A group of us from CA. & AZ. are going boondocking at Quartzsite March 14,15,16. Let me know if you want to join in. It'll only be a couple of miles of maintained dirt road.

If when you enter your 19 ft There is a big wood door that opens to your pantry on your immediate left. Check those screws! Airstream uses the dinkiest screws for that rather heavy door. You don't want to know how I learned this.
this time is a solo trip (well, the dog is coming with). Maybe in the summer? Taking our 5-6 weeks to airstream then. during july-august.

thanks for the invite!
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Update!

Well, I found a nice spot in the Anza-Borrego SP to boondock. It was about a mile south of Hwy S2, down a washboard road. As soon as I pulled into my spot, I hurried back to the Airstream, opened the door and to my surprise nothing had fallen apart or broken. Cool.

I stayed for 5 days and didn't even fill tanks to capacity or use all my freshwater, but I was alone, so that helped on that front.

There were spectacular panoramic views and long barefoot walks in the cool morning sand, admist a desert floor in full bloom.

Already planning my next boondocking adventure, which will be in the mountains towards San Diego.

The satisfaction of camping for free is something you can't buy.

thanks again for all the feedback.
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Build up the Confidence by Rockdocking

Hi Rambn: I am usually browsing the Western Boondocking and you will find some references to Rockdocking. There are some excellent posts with advice from toilet paper unrolling to using rope to tie cabinet handles shut on rough roads.

Bees are the least of your worries. Your pups will learn not to snap at the bees after being stung once. We have two Blue Heelers and that is how they learned. They also have a natural fear of snakes that are aggressive... like rattlers that coil up and look agitated!

I sense you are a woman traveling (the two dogs are the big clue), but if you can hook up a trailer the rest is just experience. It is not fear, it is inexperience and caution you are feeling. After breaking in some improved gravel to improved dirt you will be able to handle two ruts on a western grassland. If you back over shopping carts at the grocery, drive over curbs without a trailer in tow, you will need to practice where your wheels are tracking. This prevents losing the plumbing, as was mentioned earlier. Watching for brush and branches dragging along the Airstream is a must, and carrying a sharp bow saw is a must off the asphalt.

Carry some tools to tighten fixtures and hinges. They always... always will need attention off the asphalt. Keep some spare wood screws to replace those that have fallen out and cannot be found. They will reappear at the next stop! Go to Western Boondocking to get the feel of off the beaten path travel. The pups will love the open country and bees or not, nothing will happen.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
My wife and I were talking today about the damage that washboard roads might cause an AS. We are concerned about rocks flying up from the TV tires and denting the trailer. We towed on some washboard roads this weekend, and just took it slow so that the gravel would not fly. As we use the AS more and more, we are attempting rougher roads in order to enjoy the better camping that is available. I am wondering about putting air shocks on the AS in order to raise it just long enough to clear some rough areas, and then let the air out when back on pavement.
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Paulyg,

Your trailer is higher and shorter than ours.

We've gone over some darn rocky rutted roads without damage.

I once asked Rod at C&G about raising the suspension for off roading. He told me to do what Wally did to cross Africa.

"What's that." I asked.

His answer was. "He slowed down."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
No Worries!

Rambn,

We've attached a video that Gypsygirl1 posted earlier on the forums.

It contains vintage promotional footage from Airstream of a driver taking what looks like a 60's trailer through its paces. We love the driving!

We're sure you'll be fine.

Happy and safe journeys,
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Broken gas knob on dometic fridge...Still works on the electric setting. How do I replace old knob or should I.....
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I've actually aired down the trailer tires a couple of times on severely washboarded roads to allow the tires to flex and roll over the surface rather than beat the trailer to death. After I got to smoother road, I just stopped and aired them back up to the correct pressure. I always carry an air compressor with me when I travel since almost all public sources of air are next to impossible to get 50+ feet of truck and trailer up to, or they aren't working when you really need them.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

This has been a big help on the back roads of the Adirondack St. Park.

5mph justabout right, if you can hear the stones in the wheelwells, 'yer go'n too fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOWTECTOR 003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	75639  
Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I watch this little show with my morning coffee!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
This was at the end of 21 miles of dirt washboard. No problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1851.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	75645  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #33
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn View Post
I live in the desert region of southern California. There are places in which I would like to boondock, some off them with access via washboarded roads. I've read on this board about stories of such vibrations actually knocking the cabinets loose.

I've had some trouble with 07 Bambi, so I'm a little gun-shy. Although I would really like to go camp where I can find solitude, I wonder if it's worth the risk. I could simply could camp at an actual campground, but that's not the same.

I realize that Airstreams are not off-road RVs, but I feel frustrated that maybe I need to treat the thing with kid gloves for fear that it will fall apart.

Thoughts?
Go slow on the washboard roads. The vibration will not be as bad. and also "make sure your running gear is balanced"

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One place I've gone to about 3 times has 15 miles of washboard roads. I don't go any faster than 8-11 miles a hour and though it does take some time to get there that last leg of the trip, I have not had ANY issues as a result.

I would in the strongest possible terms suggest that you consider mudflap or an enkay type hitch mud flap (or both) to reduce the projectiles that can fly off the rear wheels of the tow vehicle into the trailer.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Paulyg,

Your trailer is higher and shorter than ours.

We've gone over some darn rocky rutted roads without damage.

I once asked Rod at C&G about raising the suspension for off roading. He told me to do what Wally did to cross Africa.

"What's that." I asked.

His answer was. "He slowed down."

WARNING: DO NOT follow Goin camping down a dead end road with no turn around.It was hard on his trailer trailers.