Old 05-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
We have a 30' and that works for us. We went to Alaska last year and had no problems camping going and coming throughout the West, Canada and Alaska. We had one spot that was close in Homer, AK but it was all that was available. Fresh water, black and grey capacity on our 30" comes in handy when not dumping daily. You may want to check some places that you absolutely "have" to stay at and find out what is the max size trailer they can accommodate. Planning ahead is important if in doubt as to whether a place can safely park your trailer.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
"30 foot trailer too big?"
There was a time when I had a 40' MH and envied folks with a 42' tag axle Eagle! Then I retired, and had an epiphany. All that "stuff" didn't make me happy, and it took a LOT of maintenance$$$.
I thought, "How small can I go and still have a good bed, galley, and shower?"
If I went to 30' the reason would be to get the sofa like in the Classic, a real sofa, not a platform with square cushions. But in the Flying Cloud, it's not a real sofa, AND I'd add a dinette which I'd never use. (I don't fit, and they're not comfortable.)
So unless I was getting the classic, I can't see changing from my 26U.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
In my experience camping all over western US, in boon docking, etc., 25 foot is about the limit for many places, unless you are doing a ton of planning and booking in advance, which we do not. We prefer the freedom. Are there times we wish we had a 27 or so? yes. But for us its a small give in order to have easier places to store it, and be able to get into places we probably shouldnt..

Its personal, you just have to decide what you are going to weigh more - getting in exactly where you want almost all the time, or having more comfort. For us, we wanted the freedom to get in where we want.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My wife and I moved up from a 27 international to a 30 Classic when we made the decision to travel 6-8 months of the year. We move about 150 - 250 miles per move and then we stay 3 - 4 days or more. If you are going to try to see as much as you can in three weeks, I would get the smaller trailer. If you are going to relax and take your time, go for the Airstream with the most comfort.

That said, we just traveled from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef on Rt 12 Utah. Twists and turns and the most beautiful 8 and 10-degree grades .yn the country. I kept telling my wife, "Why did you want such a big trailer?"

Here is the famous "hogback" stretch. What you don't see is my white knuckles!

https://youtu.be/JdFIDN_ky2M
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
heading west (utah) this year and made all of my reservations 6 months in advance.That is the max amount of allowed. Found sites in 4 of Utahs' BIG 5 to accommodate my 30.
One was first come first serve only due to construction. Opted not to risk it and am staying at a private CG outside the park. Most state parks can accommodate a 30 as well.
We like the space , permanent dinette, and living area of our 30.
Also, unlike Turk I have never had a white knuckle experience going down steep grades.3/4 ton diesel, tow mode, cruise control. No Problems.
I'm just guessing, but I think if you boondock, unless you are traveling dirt roads, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last year we did Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Badlands and found spots in all of them. The key is planing and making reservations as soon as they become available.
This is truly a case of the early bird catches the worm.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
[QUOTE=
We like the space , permanent dinette, and living area of our 30.
Also, unlike Turk I have never had a white knuckle experience going down steep grades.3/4 ton diesel, tow mode, cruise control. No Problems.
I'm just guessing, but I think if you boondock, unless you are traveling dirt roads, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last year we did Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Badlands and found spots in all of them. The key is planing and making reservations as soon as they become available.
This is truly a case of the early bird catches the worm.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar tow vehicle and while you bring it up, I feel a diesel is a requirement for a classic 30! We saw a classic 30 in our campground at Bryce that had an F-150 pulling it. He had an equalizer hitch, but the front end was 3 or 4 inches higher than the rear end. Whoa! My wife would not let me go over to ask him what the hell he was doing! I hope he wasn't going up Rt-12 Utah!!
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Being in the military and deciding to full time (single with a dog), I decided on the 30 Classic. Having lived in it for a few years now, I probably could have gotten away with a 27' but I do prefer having a larger "living area" with a real size couch instead of the bench seating. I put a dog bed on the couch so my German Shepherd can watch the world go by/security when we aren't outside.

Remember, there is no "standard" for these RV spot length limits. I've taken my 30 foot classic and RAM 2500 tow vehicle into spots that said the length limit was 25'. You get there and are like how did they come up with such a small number?

Having that said, preparing for retirement I will be traveling with a LOT of research and site prep time. I love to view satellite imagery and check out RV park web sites and reserve WELL in advance to get the best spots. I will be "chasing 60" in retirement as I prefer slightly cooler temps when I'm outside hiking/exploring etc. The more typical "chasing 70" can leave you in areas in which air conditioner use can pop up quite often, which I really dislike.

Also remember I think the vast majority of Airstream trade-ins are going up a size, not down.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Lengths referenced in the above linked report are combined tow vehicle plus trailer length. For example, my F150 at about 19 feet plus 28 feet trailer comes to 47 feet combined length. According to the report only 7% of National Park sites are this big.
The author is mistaken, at least in some cases where he assumes the campsite limit is for a combined trailer and TV when it is only for the trailer (or motorhome).

For instance, he lists the the "combined" limit at Blackwoods in Acadia as 35'. Blackwoods has sites for trailer up to 35', not counting the TV. We stayed there last year in a 20' campsite with our 20FC and Tacoma which together measure over 38'.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You can trick out a F-150 so it's almost an F-250. You can do the same thing at the F-250 / F-350 cross over. I pull the 30' with a gas F-250 and have absolutely no problems at all. Well, the step up into the 4x4 version is a bit of a pain ...

The mention of the seating in the Classic vs the FC pretty much hit on exactly what moved us over to the Classic. Yes, it's a personal sort of thing. Without actually sitting in this and that trailer for a couple of hours, how would you know what works for you? We also found a few floorpans with "pinch points" that made parts of the eating area impossible for "full sized" people to use. Again, a personal taste thing, and something you only will know from being there / trying that.

We have found all sorts of odd nuttiness in terms of site size measures. One will be five miles long and rated as "over 25'". The next time it's a "45' long" site that the other side of the parking area is 25' long. (so you get creative ).

If you really want to have the nice scenic spots and not worry about size - get a tent. We did that for many decades. It's fun and you can get very creative with what goes where. As you get older, sleeping on the ground and lugging water multiple times a day .... not so much. Again, a personal preference and not a 100% fact.

One thing to consider with kids - they *will* have friends. Going camping with mom and dad means leaving the crowd behind. Grumble grumble grumble ... lets not go camping again. The simple answer is to invite the friends along on the trip. Now it's fun again and away you go.

The gotcha is that you aren't sleeping two kids, it's four or six. Same thing with feeding and gear storage. The tent behind the trailer for the kids to sleep in seems to be a pretty good answer. Now, how you transport two adults, three or four dogs, six kids (all with gear ... ) and a tent ... hmmm .... I guess that's why you own a truck *and* a big SUV

Ok so now you have the trailer plus the SUV plus the truck and it all has to fit in your site. Well maybe it does. Maybe you get two sites next to each other. Also a lot of areas have extra parking for "overflow" situations like this. That also can come in when you truck + trailer just will *not* fit in the site.

Lots of variables and lots of strange answers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
. . . actually sitting in this and that trailer for a couple of hours . . .
. . .
. . . Lots of variables . . .
. . .
Your entire comment is well said!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
"Lengths referenced in the above linked report are combined tow vehicle plus trailer length. For example, my F150 at about 19 feet plus 28 feet trailer comes to 47 feet combined length. According to the report only 7% of National Park sites are this big."

Agree this is incorrect. First it starts with 12' RV - heck my Rav4 is 18' in length! Also, Savage River at Denali is listed as up to 40' with premium. I recently made reservations there with my COMBINED rig length of 50' and had no problem making reservation over the phone with their agent.
Dave-n-Janet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Some sites, in addition to a “rv length” also list a “driveway length”. Every campground, when I asked what the length included, said just the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote