Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking

Piggy Bank of Kansas City, Missouri made an inquiry that did add a new dimension to Greenhorn activities.

Greenhorn Fly Fishing.

There are many trailer owners who might be interested in camping Off the Grid and getting some Fly Fishing experience. It would not hurt me, as well.

Colorado Seniors get an annual Fishing License for $1.00. Bought one last week and located my fishing equipment, rods and reels with some renewed inspiration.

I believe it is Fly Fishing 'rods' and Spinning reels and poles. There is a difference, but terminology escapes me.

I am not a Fishing Guide, but am familiar enough to make you think I am. This is all shallow water fly fishing with the cheapest rod and reel you can pickup from a garage sale or family member. You may not have fished in your entire life. It does not matter. The kind of fly fishing I find myself is not along the Miracle Mile on the North Platte, south of Saratoga, Wyoming... but have fished it and caught trout.

Wives can try it as well, or keep busy doing what they like to do when Boondocking. My wife will fly fish, IF I moan and groan enough, but it is not worth it if she is not enjoying smelling like a fresh Brook, Rainbow or Brown trout.

Try the Yellowstone River at the Park. Big trout. Lots of fishermen. Nobody catching anything. Even though these big trout are swimming back and forth within your grasp... it seems.

No Dory Boat fishing, no waders needed. We would be after the 8" to 18" trout. This is pure 'bush whacking' trout along the river banks and holes along the large boulders in the streams.

The scenery is breath taking and you get to fish at sunrise and in the late afternoon. The rest of the time you can make up new stories, actually lies, about the big one that got away.

Wyoming. Colorado. Costco... You pick and choose IF this has anyone willing to buy a ten day license, browse the Fly Shops in each area we visit... and make it Catch and Release or have a fish fry that evening. Fish Fry... could be one Fish or multiple Fish. Not fishes...

Is there any interest for a future date of 2017? 2016 is much too crowded at this moment.

Piggy Bank gets the #1 position... since it was his accidental discovery of a slight spoofing to catch a few unsuspecting Fishermen and women in the OFF TOPIC section.

.... and since all fishermen tend to be generous with their lack of fishing ability when being a Greenhorn Fly Fisherman as a requirement... it is OK if you have done this your entire lifetime.

I will have to relearn my knots and buy a new pair of fingernail clippers.

If the pond does not freeze to the bottom, or the river is not Orange with the EPA heavy metals... we are in... cahoots.

Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking. It may smell fishy... but why not?

I will add that to the Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure options for this year for this group already set up for 2016.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Ray, I am very interested in "relearning" how to fish, as it has been many decades since I fished the last time. I have never fly fished, only spin reel.....but, willing to learn. I have a lot of new gear....not terribly expensive...and am eager to learn how to use it...hopefully, successfully.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
I think this could be fun. Posting to follow this thread, and as information comes out on the plans would be interested in committing.
txtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Ray - Please put us on your list for this trip. We are in! Only possible summer conflict for us would be International Rally in Escanaba.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
Fly Fishing Great!!!
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Ray, Linda and I are part of this year's Gunnison Greenhorns and I am looking forward to some flyfishing on it. I am all in for a 2017 flyfishing boondocking trip anyplace, anytime.
Gary
Longboard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting. Do you have any idea on dates. Not exact, just ball park
Thanks
Doug & Sharon

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Myrna

1968 24' Tradewind
Buellton , California
Now his I can plan

Put me back on the list. Wasn't having time this year, but maybe planning ahead this will work and I'll have more camping experience! Thanks!
dpaul.syv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Can't tell what the future holds for us but I'd love to try this. I'm in.

Kelvin
Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
We are interested for late summer or early fall 2017 if timing is right. Are there any proposed dates yet?
blufishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I would like to go too.
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

1970 31' Sovereign
chandler , Arizona
Not sure if our restoration will be in progress or completed by that date but if so, I've always wanted to learn and am sure my husband would be eager as well for this adventure.

KC in Chandler, AZ
azgerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Ray, Poles are long and do not have reels. Usually they are cane, although there are also fibreglass ones specially made for crappie fishing. They are used without reels, mostly for dipping a worm and bobber or a small jig into a likely looking hole.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming or Colorado...?

Returning from Boondocking in New Mexico... I was surprised at the Fly Fishing Boondocking interest.

I like fishing the low water marks... in August. July is possible, but August will prevent several drownings in Wyoming or Colorado. I can leave the waders at home and only need a pair of comfortable sandals, a fish net and something to haul extra flies.

This and the 2017 Colorado High Country are being held hostage until I get a grasp on the number of individuals interested up front and then within several weeks drop out for medical problems or conflicts of timing. There is a lot of work involved when more than four trailers are involved.

After the next two Boondocking events and survivors are counted from the beginning to end, I will make a definite decision. And when made... we will make the date of 'going fishing instead of wishing'. (A KC, Missouri fishing television program in the late 1960's, early 1970's.)

For suggestions give a time and area you would find interesting... with fishing possibilities. Wyoming has plenty of good fishing streams with room for fishermen and women.

Colorado has plenty of fishermen at good fishing streams. Camping spots are a bigger concern in some of these Colorado areas as more people are expected to be making the best of the dry August fishing season.

I am bringing my fly fishing equipment to the Greenhorn Boondocking School in June 2016. I can think of three major rivers worth losing some fly fishing equipment in these shallow rivers in central Colorado. More in Wyoming. The primary interest is the camping Off the Grid doing Base Camping near several rivers... creeks to those not in the Rockies already. This is not intended as a RV Park experience, although.... if lucky, a Forest Service camping experience... but we take what we can get.

If interest is there and serious enough to get a great sunburn from reflected sunlight off the stream surface... maybe this is possible.

If my 'tar and feathers' weather through the Winter... it looks good to me. But do not dream of the Pay to Play fishing farms and resorts. This is more like going to a raffle and lucky to catch the guy standing in the water next to you... kind of fishing.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Glad I could lead to inspiration. I wish I had the time to attend, but must regretfully decline the invitation.

Still have to work for 15 or so years. So vacation time is limited, and pretty much booked up for this year.

I may see what limited knowledge I can pick up here and there in the mean time, and think that probably I will see what gear I can scrounge up at garage and estate sales.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Ray,

Since we had to drop out of 2016 Wyoming, please put us down for 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing. I've done mostly saltwater flats fly fishing and haven't done any in a couple of years, so I can easily qualify as a greenhorn.

Being retired, timing is generally not an issue this far in advance, but we do have a couple of exclusions. The weekend after Memorial Day and most of October and early November we are in NC. Living in Florida, we would obviously prefer something closer, but Wyoming would not be out of the question. We want to do a west tour, and that would be a good start (or middle, or end).

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Caveats to 2017 Greenhorn Fly Fishing Boondocking

I made a post #22 on the 2016 Quemado, NM Adventure thread yesterday, while having internet service and some insights that MAY affect planning for any future 2017 Adventures in the Rocky Mountains.

There seemed to be an excessive number of cancellations for Quemado to attend, before being able to offer openings to others that may have wanted to attend, but new additions were closed.

These trips are at elevations above 6,000 feet and you need to be able to be find a comfort zone for expected activity levels. Much of these Adventures require activities that may not be to your liking. Imagine back packing and carrying everything you need for a week as one extreme and doing the same in your Airstream trailer. You still need to be aware that we are in remote areas, headwaters to many River Systems in difficult areas and need to be able to adjust to high activity over a short period of time.

Road travel may be more than you want to have your tow vehicle and trailer to endure. Wood screws, unscrew. Stuff shakes out of cabinets if not prepared for smooth or some washboard Forest Service roads. Big mammals may want to explore our campsites in the mountains. Fishermen on horse back is not unusual in these areas. Meteorites could damage your pride and joy polished trailer...

These are my caveats. Only you know your limitations. You need not participate in all events possible, but be aware that others will be on an entirely different level of activity. Myself included. If anyone can manage to cover more ground in one day than myself... great!

Fly Fishing is as active an activity you can discover very... work intensive. Just the motions of fly fishing will make your upper body... sore. Getting to that point of fishing... will make you sore. Anyone is likely to know more about technical Fly Fishing than myself. I do it for the challenge of being... disappointed. It is being there that counts.

Depending on the future interest(s), anyone who is interested must be able to adjust to a schedule that begins before sunrise and at sunset. This is not a RV Park experience.

Your Black Tank may fill up and YOU need to figure it out. Ours will not be. Nor our Grey Water Tank.

I am just preparing anyone interested in attending that this is not a Sunday picnic at the Park. You are in the middle of the Park that might be a hundred square miles to take under consideration. You must also be prepared on your own by putting out some effort to know the area(s) we will be camped Off the Grid.

If this makes you change your mind... you have good judgment. I do this as a regular event each and every year. Some day I may have to admit that I am over my head and my body will not cooperate. When that time arrives... it will be too late as I am stubborn and prefer to push my limited human abilities if told I should NOT do something that strenuous at... my age.

IF you find this offensive. Good. You need not go any further. If you find this to your liking... you are among the small number of Off the Gridders on the Forum. If all of this makes you yawn and take this with the intent understood... this will be one of the best experiences for no cost outside your own expenses.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Since the Good Lord never counts a day fishing against your allotted total, we're signing on for for the 2017 foray. We need all the days we can get.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Just subscribing for now...
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado Fishing Regulations are on line...

2016 Colorado Fishing Season: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017

cpw.state.co.us

Coming to Colorado to Fish? cpw.state.co.us/Regulations or call for a copy at 303-297-1192

Colorado has a 38 page online booklet, or one in print at all Walmarts, or where licenses are sold. There are two full color pages of various fish species that are covered under specific catch limits. Maybe you may want to cut some fish species out of the booklet and tape them onto your trailer's front door window for reference.

Colorado is primarily a 'catch and release' State. There are more fishermen in the warm months than fish. Due to private property along most rivers, Public Fishing is along designated areas that are very well posted. Do Not Trespass signs are also easy to see.

I have been reading the Rules and Regulations. Most areas are catch and release. There are rules that you can keep, in some areas, fish under 8 inches or over 44 inches. Other areas have specific rules for bait, flies and lures.

Myself... I am a catch and release fisherman. I doubt this is as common in Alaska or Canada since the fish do out number those standing side by side along some river banks...

My next task is to pick up a copy of the Wyoming Fishing Regulation booklet while on the Wyoming Boondocking Adventure.

The rules and regulations are quite specific. Even if you may not agree with them... you need to as there are reasons why. Mostly that the intense fishing pressure will reduce the breeding population and eliminate fishing opportunities if there are, well... no fish to catch and release.