Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
For Jackearnest’s Elite Batteries, same ones that I have in my trailer, here is what Rick Sutter at EPS sent me. This is only for EPS cells. Please get exact specs for the cells that you run and don’t accept general statements as the truth for your setup.

-4°F (-20°C) is the lowest temperature you can discharge or store batteries in. Anything lower will freeze the electrolyte and damage the battery.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019, 6:19 PM Squarespace <no-reply@squarespace.info> wrote:

Name: Gary Haynes
Email: classic@reflectionsimaging.com
Message: I understand that the Elite batteries should not be discharged/supply power below -4 F. What is the negative temperature where batteries in storage, not being used and circuits turned off, will sustain damage from sustained negative temperatures?
(Sent via Elite Power Solutions)

Not sure what humble pie looks like

Geez, even my 12V Interstates have survived the last 3 winters where temps have been -35+ for days, and even weeks, at a time and have never froze. I just charge them fully and disconnect for 6-7 months at a time.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Look into carbonic heating film if you have access to AC powers, wrap the batteries or at least place it below the batteries. There are even versions that will run on 12V, if you have enough charge capacity to offset the load.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Shelton , Washington
warming battery blanket

I saw in one of my many YT videos that I have watched about the LiFePO batteries that there is a warming blanket that was wrapped around the batteries in an extreme cold environment that when plugged in, only uses about 40 watts and keeps the batteries nice and warm. I am thinking that would be a great solution. I am going to start with wrapping mine with some of those inexpensive moving blankets I just bought from Harbor Freight.
KB6YAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

40W is getting you up above 3A of drain. If they run all the time (like when it’s cold out) that’s moving pretty close to 100AH a day..... yikes .....

Unheated blankets will just slow down the rate at which the batteries cool off. Since a lot of the heat loss is through the floor, they may not do a whole lot of good ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Up yonder in the frigid north, we used to put a light bulb in with the well pump or the propane regulator. The advanced trick was to put two - one in a photo-cell activated socket in case the first one burned out. Of course, they were evil incandescent bulbs. And, you'd have to limit the air exchange if you are seeking protection in -40. But for a small tight space, it was very effective, even in prolonged cold.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
Up yonder in the frigid north, we used to put a light bulb in with the well pump or the propane regulator. The advanced trick was to put two - one in a photo-cell activated socket in case the first one burned out. Of course, they were evil incandescent bulbs. And, you'd have to limit the air exchange if you are seeking protection in -40. But for a small tight space, it was very effective, even in prolonged cold.
Hi

The cheaper advanced trick was to put two identical bulbs in series. They then run at lower power and last a *long* time .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote