Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
New Albany , Indiana
Will this part help remove exterior rivets?

I made this piece to aid with drilling out rivets around windows, I couldnt remember rivet size so this is why there are 3 sizes. Now that I know which one to use, the part will only have one hole and will be thicker so one could grab onto part while drilling. I have never drilled out an exterior rivet before but I have read that others use a center punch. I was hoping this piece would eliminate the need for center punch. Please give some opinions before I build new part. The concave side is meant to stay firmly around rivet head, while the other side is a 1/8 hole for drill bit to stay straight and hit center of rivet head. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	131757   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	131758  

bennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
If you wanted to drill out a small number of rivets and it's made of a nice hard steel and you made it round, maybe, otherwise I'd skip it. The drill bit could catch in it and spin it which could hurt your fingers or the bit may wear the 1/8" hole leaving your hole off centre. If you can use a #30 bit rather than a 1/8" you'll find life easier, especially when it comes to riveting; a 1/8" rivet requires a #30 drilled hole. A drill stop is also a nice add-on, normally less than a $ but you could just wrap tape if it works for you. Nice idea though. :-)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It's worth a try...but wear some good gloves...the odds are pretty good that the shavings are gonna gum real fast and grab the jig...

I have one of the commercial rivet drillers with lots of relief and a retracting head...it only takes one good soft rivet to jam it up.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I too have had a time with drilling out rivets. Even using a center punch lined up the best I can, when I am done with drilling the rivet out, half the time, I end up enlarging the original hole, making me wonder how much trouble I am creating. Can you report on the effectiveness of your jig?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Some have reported using this tool with good results:

Rivet Removal Tool
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Maybe you should consider mounting a handle on it so you can keep it from spinning. You probably only need it for the first few seconds till you get a pocket made then you can freehand it. Then you are essentially center punching it with the drill. You could also use it with a spring loaded center punch to make sure you get the center of the head of the rivet.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Some have reported using this tool with good results:

Rivet Removal Tool
This is the one I would reccomend for solid rivets (on the outside) I used it, couldnt have done without it. The one you made although clever may not stop the bit from "walking" all over. Also I wouldnt want my finger to be near it if the bit catches the side. Get the rivet removal tool you will love it!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote