Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Western repair shop for panel

We had one of our kayaks fall from its storage rack and it’s bow landed on the left rear corner of our 23d. Hit on a seam so at least two panels will need replacing. Doesn’t appear to have damaged any ribs, at least that’s my hope. Tried reaching out to Vinnie’s Northbay Airstream Repair but he isn’t accepting new clients. A quick forum search isn’t yielding any current recommendations besides a factory visit. The latter isn’t out of the question, but before we travel from Boise I’m wondering if there are recommendations from anyone that has had factory quality work done more local to us. Luckily the damage is just cosmetic so we’re not in a hurry to get the repair done. We’re more interested in getting in done right than quickly.
Thanks in advance to any & all replies!!
bnbsnive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
If it is truly only cosmetic, i suggest trying to see if Vinnie can fit you in at some time in the future. He really does first-class work. When he replaced a couple of panels on our trailer (in addition to other work), he could only get to it several months after we first contacted him. It was worth the wait!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for the reply Tim. We are in no hurry, I was thinking it would probably be up to a year before a reputable repair shop could get us in so maybe I should reach out to Vinnie again. I’ve read such good things about his work and I like the idea of driving 600 miles rather than 2000! Either way to us it’s more important to make sure it’s a quality fix than a speedy one. I can live with the embarrassment of a dented panel in the meantime ;-)
Thanks again, Bill
Old 08-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have seen favorable comments on the forum about the Airstream dealer in Albuquerque doing body work, but I have no personal experience with them.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
While not exactly local to Boise you might try the dealer in Spokane. Certainly closer than the factory. They sis a perfect panel replacement on our FC.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I have seen favorable comments on the forum about the Airstream dealer in Albuquerque doing body work, but I have no personal experience with them.
I've not been real happy with this dealer. I can't speak to his panel work, but they don't (or didn't two years ago) deal very well with the newer tech in the Airstreams. I also dropped my Airstream off for the Aldi recall. while the Airstream was in their possession, the LP tank cover ended up with a pretty good crease where someone backed into it. They initially didn't take responsibility for it. Even after I brought video evidence from my dash cam showing that when it was dropped off, the damage wasn't there, but when I picked it up, it was. They were still going to fight that until the sales guy stepped in and said their reputation was worth more than an LP tank cover.

It's always ended OK, but the path to get there has been bumpy with them. I do like the sales guy though (Dan)
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I recently visited Airstream Adventures NW in Portland. They had several panel replacements in progress. You might give them a call.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
I recently had some panels replaced at Airstream Of Scottsdale. The work was done in a very timely manor and the finished product looks great. I know it's 1100+ miles but Christian and his crew do so fantastic work.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We used Northbay of Bay area. Replaced 2 front panels. They have 2 men that work exclusively on panel work. Excellent job. Just 6 months ago. Part of Adventure Northwest group.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
I just spoke with Vinnie from his namesake repair shop and he can get me taken care of. He's booked until next year but since we're in no rush, it will all work out. We might even pull the trigger on the ceramic coating while there to really put the finishing touch on things! Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and advice, it's all been very helpful! All the best, Bill
Old 08-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
We had good luck with panel replacement at Windish in Fountain, CO (there's also one in Denver, so you might call both). We took a hit on the streetside rear corner; Windish took the trailer in on Monday, called us on Tuesday to come get it. Of course, this was pre-pandemic, so things may have changed a bit! But it can't hurt to call them.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
NOT Airstream of Utah…they are great folks and generally good for sales and service but for panel replacement I would go to Jackson Center. I’ve seen first hand the difference between a dealer and the mothership (fortunately on a good friends and not mine!) but seriously for panel work I’d recommend Jackson center. Perhaps the only reason to go to Ohio? Sorry Ohio friends ��
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbsnive View Post
We had one of our kayaks fall from its storage rack and it’s bow landed on the left rear corner of our 23d. Hit on a seam so at least two panels will need replacing. Doesn’t appear to have damaged any ribs, at least that’s my hope. Tried reaching out to Vinnie’s Northbay Airstream Repair but he isn’t accepting new clients. A quick forum search isn’t yielding any current recommendations besides a factory visit. The latter isn’t out of the question, but before we travel from Boise I’m wondering if there are recommendations from anyone that has had factory quality work done more local to us. Luckily the damage is just cosmetic so we’re not in a hurry to get the repair done. We’re more interested in getting in done right than quickly.

Thanks in advance to any & all replies!!

I take it our local service team won’t touch this? They’ve done a pretty big interior repair for me a while back whenever our stove/countertop area separated from the wall. That was a bummer.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote