Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Gainesville , Florida
Oh yea, a couple more things...

Sorry, I know its off topic, but does anyone know whether they make CLEAR Vulkem to reseal the roof vents / ac / windows. (And is this even the right product)?

And last but not least, it looks like my brother and I are going to "modify" the interior a little bit to make it seat a couple more people. In doing so, is there a market for the removed parts (for example, the table (I am 99% sure its original) and the sofa? Thanks again fellas (and ladies).
'70verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This was moved from the axle forum because it was off topic.

Not sure about the vulkem.

The pieces you remove, can be sold here on this forum. And yes there is a market. Depending on weight, shipping may be an obsticle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by '70verlander
Sorry, I know its off topic, but does anyone know whether they make CLEAR Vulkem to reseal the roof vents / ac / windows. (And is this even the right product)?
There's a new white self leveling RV roof sealant that's out there, Fantastic Vent used it when they installed my vent. That's the standard for these things today, it would appear. Read this thread for more on roof vent sealing.

The clear stuff, which I have personally used is Par Bond. but if it's on the roof, go with better versus nicer.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
No Vulkem does not come in clear. However it does come in a nice gray color that blends pretty well with the aluminum. As far as selling parts, there is a demand for orginal parts, but it probably should be local pickup only. Shipping the larger sized stuff is cost prohibitive.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
There's a new white self leveling RV roof sealant that's out there, Fantastic Vent used it when they installed my vent. That's the standard for these things today, it would appear. Read this thread for more on roof vent sealing.

The clear stuff, which I have personally used is Par Bond. but if it's on the roof, go with better versus nicer.
John,

The stuff you are describing isn't new. There are a few manufacturers but the one I use the most is called Dicor Self-Leveling roof sealant. Comes in bright white or colonial white and is great for making a professional seam around any roof mounted appliance. You just squeeze out a nice thick bead over what ever you want to cover and it just flows where it should go. GREAT STUFF and you can do multiple passes to seal larger areas.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Hmmmm.

I just got some leaks sealed in the roof. The dealer used Sikaflex. Not Dicor Self-Leveling roof sealant.

Does Sikaflex last?
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL
Hmmmm.

I just got some leaks sealed in the roof. The dealer used Sikaflex. Not Dicor Self-Leveling roof sealant.

Does Sikaflex last?
IMHO, Sikaflex is the premium polyurethane sealant available. It should last as long as the trailer .
Old 08-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Homewood , Alabama
Question

What sealant would you use to seal around the door frame and window frames? I have the white Argosy.

1975 Argosy 28D (work in progress!)
RVnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sikaflex will work. It's a premium polyurathane sealant. It will be expensive and if installed by the directions will out last the components that are sealed. And comes in white.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...%5Epage%7EGRID

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Member markdoane was first to mention Austin Hardware if I recall (Search their site on Sikaflex -- 221 is the stuff you want). Their service was very good with internet-only contact. I note that it is still $5.47 a tube compared with $7.99 at Jamestown Distributors. I like the grey -- it is light in color and a good match whether working with an Argosy or Airstream.

Now ... there is actually a thin material that Airstream uses in tight applications like at skin junctions. I'm not finding it right off.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Great Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Member markdoane was first to mention Austin Hardware if I recall (Search their site on Sikaflex -- 221 is the stuff you want). Their service was very good with internet-only contact. I note that it is still $5.47 a tube compared with $7.99 at Jamestown Distributors. I like the grey -- it is light in color and a good match whether working with an Argosy or Airstream.

Now ... there is actually a thin material that Airstream uses in tight applications like at skin junctions. I'm not finding it right off.
CS,

The thin sealant you refer to is called 'Acryl-R' and is available from any A/S dealer or right from the website. It sucks right into the seams nicely and comes in a re-fillable twist-on jar with a very fine tip grease gun type applicator...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Yes they do made a Clear Parbond.
http://outofdoorsmart.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php?product=10014:495

This place has the white and silver.
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
IMHO, Sikaflex is the premium polyurethane sealant available. It should last as long as the trailer .
Is Sikaflex suitable for all sealant jobs one would encounter on an airstream? Or does one need the Vulkem, Parbond and others mentioned here for specific tasks?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Is Sikaflex suitable for all sealant jobs one would encounter on an airstream? Or does one need the Vulkem, Parbond and others mentioned here for specific tasks?
The Airstream factory uses 2 types of sealants: SikaFlex for most sealing tasks and Acryl-R for the very thin seams at the aluminum borders. I also use Dicor self-leveling lap sealant for thru roof applications like roof vents and fans.....................that's IT!

Everyone has their favorites, sort of like discussing what type of oil to use in your car. Any quality polyurethane sealant will do the job. I have had great success with the above in a wide variety of applcations on a wider variety of RV's. Your choice.............................
Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Vulkem and Parbond were the factory sealants back in the 70's and 80's and are still available. The factory currently uses Sikaflex and Acryl-R. My only reccomendation would be to stick with the same one thru out. If you start with Vulkem and Parbond use them thru out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
as lew mentioned,

vulkem is for the large jobs, roof vents, sewer vents etc. parrbond is for finer work like the edges of seams and around lights etc.

you really need both types.

john