Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Using 'Jack Nuts' instead of rivets?

I found a product called "Jack Nuts". They are metal devices that allow us to use a machine screw to attach items like awning hardware to the aluminum skin. They are similar to well nuts but are metal not rubber. They have a head that is almost flush with the outer surface and are constructed to flair like an Olympic Rivet. They will accommodate up to a 1/4 inch machine screw. If you have a success story or a failure with these would you please post a reply?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting idea.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
RivNuts

Are they the same as RivNuts?

I use them all the time with great satisfaction.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This is just my personal opinion and I'm sure others will disagree. I have seen them used quite a bit and they are sometimes called "rivnuts". I personally do not like them as they can spin which makes removel of the screw difficult. On the other hand, they are better then just a sheet metal screw through thin aluminum skin.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Also called Riv nuts as they are inserted with a rivet gun like device. They work well for things that need to be removed and replaced often.

A few of things to watch out for:

1. The hole size that is drilled to set them must be very precise, the exact drill size specified by the maker only, not just "close".

2. If you are going to put many in, buy a specific tool for their "pull". They are only about $15 to $25 and available at places like True Value and Ace hardware stores.

2. The aluminum ones are not really very strong. The steel ones are better.

3. The ones I have purchased at Harbor Freight are not very well made and I would not use them again.

4. If you spin one of the sockets with threads, they can be hard to remove to replace without damaging the original hole size, which is quite critical.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sounds like a RivNut. I've used them. They are in fairly common usage at Airstream shops. They can be the most practical alternative when an original rivet has pulled out. You'd want to look at reasons why that happened and judge if a pulled rivet is the solution or if you can lessen the strain.

My situation involved too much tightening on the wheel at the upper awning mount. It pulled two mounting screws out of the skin. I've since seen this problem on a number of Airstreams.

Enter rivnut in our search field and you'll find about 20 threads where they've been mentioned. Google rivnut too.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Sounds like a RivNut. I've used them. They are in fairly common usage at Airstream shops. They can be the most practical alternative when an original rivet has pulled out. You'd want to look at reasons why that happened and judge if a pulled rivet is the solution or if you can lessen the strain.

My situation involved too much tightening on the wheel at the upper awning mount. It pulled two mounting screws out of the skin. I've since seen this problem on a number of Airstreams.

Enter rivnut in our search field and you'll find about 20 threads where they've been mentioned. Google rivnut too.
Bob, I curious about mounting screws pulling out of the skin. I'm guessing you are talking about the clamp wheels. Was there an alignment problem putting stress on the clamp or was there a movement problem of some kind going down the highway?

Thanks, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Be careful with the steel rivnuts. You'll experience galvanic issues with the aluminum and will eventually pull out.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
I should have posted a picture of a Jack Nut. It is similar to the Rivnut but not sure if it is better or worse.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Can the galvanic problems be prevented by using an adhesive such as Sikaflex? The Sikaflex might help prevent spin of the Jack Nut, prevent leakage and stop any galvanic problems. Yes/No?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Be careful with the steel rivnuts. You'll experience galvanic issues with the aluminum and will eventually pull out.
West Marine sells a product that prevents these issues. Designed for use on aluminum masts.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I should have posted a picture of a Jack Nut. It is similar to the Rivnut but not sure if it is better or worse.

Hi, working on cars since 1968, I have installed many roof racks, truck mirrors, and other accessories using metal and rubber well nuts. The ones shown in your picture are too weak, in my opinion. I have used those on some factory applications. I like the solid metal well nuts much better. But you have to have a feel for the amount of crush you give them while installing them; Too loose and they will spin. I have not installed any in aluminum. If the item you are using them for gets caught on something, they make a nasty, un-repairable hole.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
West Marine sells a product that prevents these issues. Designed for use on aluminum masts.
I looked for this in the West Marine catalog, but no luck. Do you have an item number for 'em, or even a catalog page number?

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
drboyd - I do not have a part number for them. I found the Jack Nuts at McFadden Hardware in Las Vegas but have seen them at ACE in the area where they keep the well nuts. They cost about $1 each. They seem to be a practical solution to installing a blind nut. The Rivnuts seem to offer a more solid installation. They also have a small tang to keep them from spinning whereas the Jack Nuts do not. I suspect a little Sikaflex would be useful when installing either.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Check Aircraft Spruce for some genuine RivNuts. They have a rib built into the outer diameter that grips the aluminum in the hole and prevents the threaded nut from spinning. They're also unlikely to cause galvanic corrosion.

They do require a special tool to install.

I've used them on aircraft and Airstream, and they work great.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Here's the stuff I bought at West Marine that prevents corrosion when using fasteners other than aluminum on an AS. I do not think that it's in the catalog. However, there's a website and phone number on the packaging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	174813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	174814  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote